Bike Riders: what are some good saddles? Vol. Budget Vasectomy

Whoever created the traditional saddle for a bike must have been trolling. I just copped a Huffy and I definitely need something more comfortable. I don't want to break the bank (under $50) but I want something that's safe and comfortable.

The saddle is one of the most personal part on the bike. Since everyone's anatomy is different, what works for me may not work for you. My recommendation would be to go to stores with a good return policy and try out a few. I bought two from REI during their annual sale and tried them out for a few weeks (Serfas Lycra Dual Density and Serfas Tri Saddle). Ended up returning both and picked up a Selle Italia Max Flite Flow Gel.

^ that's totally right.

What's good for me won't necessarily work for you.

Saying that I've done well with the Specialized Body Geometry line - they have a cutout to take pressure of he important bits and the decent one come in a variety of widths so you can get the one which suits your sit-bones.

Generally the key is getting a firm saddle which has support in the right place - too soft and all that happens is that the padding squishes up into your soft parts and that's where the numbness comes from.

There's no shortcut though, you just have to try a few. eBay is good too - you can get something scruffy to make sure you like it and then sell it and get a good version once you find one you like.

Back
Top Bottom