Black guy hair cuts

To those with the DS5 or any extensive amount of hair, do y'all pick it out everyday?

I've come to this conclusion, along with the help of Google, that the constant picking up of the hair is very no bueno, therefore I only do it maybe twice a week.

That wild nappy comment hit me :lol:. I'll admit I be looking type dusty at times but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the longevity of this crown.

Over a long period of time, I'd imagine the repeated picking of the kinky hair could lead to hair loss and breakage. Of course, there are many factors that go along with that, but I'm trying to cover all bases in taking care of my hair.

I see the hair that's been picked out on the pick and just imagine that every day. It probably adds up faster than the hair growth so that's why I don't do it everyday.

Im trying to get my hair cut more like Bryson Tiller, but i don't know exactly how to explain it to my barber. Dude is wild slow so if i don't explain it right ill end up with the bowl cut lol. Pic below for reference:

I use my fingers to get any flattened spots in the mornings. Take about a minute or so and just pull out all the flattened areas. Pick it out two or three times a week.

Over a long period of time, I'd imagine the repeated picking of the kinky hair could lead to hair loss and breakage. Of course, there are many factors that go along with that, but I'm trying to cover all bases in taking care of my hair.

I see the hair that's been picked out on the pick and just imagine that every day. It probably adds up faster than the hair growth so that's why I don't do it everyday.

Man picking your hair out doesn't lead to hair loss and it's not damaging. We lose thousands of strains of hair every year just laying in bed at night. You'd have to be picking your hair with savage like force to cause any type of damage. You'd be in tears from the pain b.

I was always one to believe if you don't brush your hair and give it a reason to grow, that you would lose your hair faster. Hair grows in places to prevent irritation from happening. Your scalp too. Same way that dudes that rock fitteds all the time usually got messed up hairlines. They prolly wake up and throw on a fitted and never take care of their hair.

Last edited:
Man picking your hair out doesn't lead to hair loss and it's not damaging. We lose thousands of strains of hair every year just laying in bed at night. You'd have to be picking your hair with savage like force to cause any type of damage. You'd be in tears from the pain b.

This is unequivocally false.

This is unequivocally false.

No, no it's not. Picking your hair out doesn't damage your hair and it doesn't lead to hair loss. It's also completely normal and natural to lose hairs daily.

You're going to have to do more than use a big word to actually back up any claim that says otherwise. :lol:

Last edited:
Probably won't shave my beard for November

what would I tell my barber if I wanted this style? Also going if I started from a 1 length all around and grew it out to whatever length that is up top, what process would I go through? (what stage to pick it out, how often to get lineups, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the help. I've tried getting something similar and ended up looking like this

Go ask any dermatologist and they'll tell you any strain that you put on your hair that damages the cuticle by styling, combing, or otherwise could lead to long term problems.

A quick WebMD search will back up the claim.

what would I tell my barber if I wanted this style? Also going if I started from a 1 length all around and grew it out to whatever length that is up top, what process would I go through? (what stage to pick it out, how often to get lineups, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the help. I've tried getting something similar and ended up looking like this

Again just take him the picture, how many times does it have to be said. If you see a style you like just take your barber the pic, it's not sus, and you won't be judged.

Go ask any dermatologist and they'll tell you any strain that you put on your hair that damages the cuticle by styling, combing, or otherwise could lead to long term problems.

A quick WebMD search will back up the claim.

Picking out your hair with reasonable and appropriate force like I said, doesn't damage your cuticles. There is no evidence of suggest it does. None. Our fathers and grandfathers didn't need WebMD to tell us that.

I get my haircut every week. But I started off growing it all out & getting a temp fade. So then I got my current cut. I tell them to cut the side & back down but leave it dark. And then temp it.

Like everyone else says just take them a pic & if they don't get it explain.

Picking out your hair with reasonable and appropriate force like I said, doesn't damage your cuticles. There is no evidence of suggest it does. None. Our fathers and grandfathers didn't need WebMD to tell us that.

:lol: ok boss. Anything in excess in regards to hair is going to do damage, appropriate force or not. Went and got my hair twisted a couple weeks ago and the beautician suggested for me to not pick my hair as frequently because it's not healthy and there were certain areas that weren't as thick as others. Nutrition also plays a big part as well in maintaining healthy hair.

Last edited:
And my barber once told me he could get O's of og kush for $150. Your beautician isn't a dermatologist.

Look man all Ima say is your use of unequivocal needs work.

Nah she's not but I actually did go to my dermatologist and he reiterated some of the same sentiments, and I also personally seen the difference since I stopped picking my hair every day, it looks fuller and not nearly as much breakage when I get it cut or wash my hair. But you cook how you want, but seeing as all our hair is different texture wise, not factoring in the genetic components giving advice that's wrong to people looking to maintain certain styles is a bit irresponsible. Over brushing, combing, picking etc. can all have negative effects on hair growth and maintenance. There's tons of evidence to support this.

Back
Top Bottom