Black guy hair cuts

I've been growing my hair out and using the sponge
my hair kinda looks like brandon ingrams
is this caused purely by my texture or am I not twisting it enough?
I want it to look more like deandre jordans fro which is a beat neater
its looks kind of like I am free forming

What's your guys thought on this product?

A hair stylist recommended it to me after I told her I'm trying to avoid using gel since that makes your hair hard.
I I stay away from gels so I don't know about the custard... but the CANTU Leave-In Conditioner (Repair Cream) was A-1 when I had my hair.[emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128076[/emoji][emoji]127998[/emoji]

Add the Sponging in and you set for atleast a couple days.[emoji]128175[/emoji]

Was trying to grow my hair out to get the fade/braid look, but I cut it after a month and a half. My girl said I would look crazy with a braided man bun in the corporate world. :lol:

My hair was about an inch and a half before I cut it last night.

Sidebar: invest in a good pair of clippers and learn how to cut your own hair. I've been doing it for years with lesser machines. But I picked up a pair of andis masters and a t outliner on Amazon for about $130. Compared to the money people pay for cuts these days, it's a good investment. Every cut won't come out perfect every time when you first start out, but that only motivates you to get better. Plus with all the YouTube tutorials out there, I'd imagine it's easier than ever to learn.

Was trying to grow my hair out to get the fade/braid look, but I cut it after a month and a half. My girl said I would look crazy with a braided man bun in the corporate world. :lol:

Sidebar: invest in a good pair of clippers and learn how to cut your own hair. I've been doing it for years with lesser machines. But I picked up a pair of andis masters and a t outliner on Amazon for about $130. Compared to the money people pay for cuts these days, it's a good investment. Every cut won't come out perfect every time when you first start out, but that only motivates you to get better. Plus with all the YouTube tutorials out there, I'd imagine it's easier than ever to learn.

Gonna be my next cut. Either a mid or drop fade

Was trying to grow my hair out to get the fade/braid look, but I cut it after a month and a half. My girl said I would look crazy with a braided man bun in the corporate world.
laugh.gif

As someone who also cuts his own hair, I have some constructive criticism on your fade.  It looks like you're trying to do all of the fading within an inch or 2 of the bald line.  I'd recommend starting your line lower, just above your ears, and leaving more room for each different level of hair length.  Also, I think it would look better if you curved the line down as you got toward the front to make your lineup really pop and transition into your beard.  If that doesn't make sense, I can try to dig up a picture.

As someone who also cuts his own hair, I have some constructive criticism on your fade.  It looks like you're trying to do all of the fading within an inch or 2 of the bald line.  I'd recommend starting your line lower, just above your ears, and leaving more room for each different level of hair length.  Also, I think it would look better if you curved the line down as you got toward the front to make your lineup really pop and transition into your beard.  If that doesn't make sense, I can try to dig up a picture.

Appreciate that fam. Going to try it out next week.

post a pic

Appreciate that fam. Going to try it out next week.

How long has it taken you guys to become competent fading all around, particularly the back of the head.

Been cutting my own hair for exactly a year. Have the side taper down, but I rarely attempt the back of the neck. Can't eem imagine trying a full fade but I need to get over it.

How long has it taken you guys to become competent fading all around, particularly the back of the head.

Been cutting my own hair for exactly a year. Have the side taper down, but I rarely attempt the back of the neck. Can't eem imagine trying a full fade but I need to get over it.
Believe it or not, I'm actually better at the back than the sides, but it just takes getting used to holding the clippers and mirror.  After a while it just becomes second nature.  I can't remember how long it took since I started over 20 years ago, but I'd say if you've already been doing it a year you just need to get over your fear and do it more often to get better at it.  

I want to be able to cut my own hair, my usual cut is really low, think Kobe Bryant. My barber was saying something about he uses a blade that's lower than a 1, do any of you cats know what he's talking about, and how hard it would be?

I want to be able to cut my own hair, my usual cut is really low, think Kobe Bryant. My barber was saying something about he uses a blade that's lower than a 1, do any of you cats know what he's talking about, and how hard it would be?
Wahl has a 1/2 guard.  Andis has 0.  Both are 1/16" or 1.5mm.  If you're just rocking the same length all around, that's SIMPLE.

Last edited:
Wahl has a 1/2 guard.  Andis has 0.  Both are 1/16" or 1.5mm

Thanks Fam, I'm gonna "YouTube" it up because I'm going overseas, and I want to stay clean. I keep really low and even all around with a crisp line up, shouldn't be too hard, but I'll see, through trial and error.

Thanks Fam, I'm gonna "YouTube" it up because I'm going overseas, and I want to stay clean. I keep really low and even all around with a crisp line up, shouldn't be too hard, but I'll see, through trial and error.
Get a good trimmer.  The cut will be no problem, but the crisp lineup might be if you've never done it before.  If you're going overseas then converting the power might become problematic with US clippers and trimmers.  Depending on where you're headed, I can probably help you with that too.

Back
Top Bottom