Black Maryland Cop Killed By Fellow Officer Who Thought He Was Shootout Suspect

This story is :wow:

It's been all over the news for the past few days in the DMV...but this latest development is huge.

Jacai Colson, a Prince George’s County (Mary.) cop, was killed over the weekend by friendly fire during a shootout outside PGC police headquarters. Today in a press conference, police chief Hank Stawinski said that Colson was shot not accidentally, but instead “deliberately,” by a fellow officer who mistook him for one of the three suspects who participated in the offensive.

According to Stawinski, Colson, who was an undercover narcotics detective, was not in uniform and had gotten out of an unmarked vehicle at the station prior to being shot. It’s also worth noting that like the three suspects—Michael, Elijah, and Malik Ford—Colson was black. But Colson, pictured above, looked nothing like the suspects, who are pictured here.

Rest of Article in Link

RIP to Colson and it really sucks that it came down to this. Makes you wonder what charges will be (if any) brought against the officer who shot him.

Cliffs:

-Three PG County Brothers conspired to ambush a police station.
-Two of the brothers were videotaping the attack w/ their phones.
-One of the brothers essentially had a death wish and recorded himself giving his last will and testament. He was the one doing the shooting.
-While the station under attack Colson was killed by friendly fire from a fellow police officer who mistook him as one of the assailants.

All these dudes are heavy set dread heads..

Dude has a brush cut.

Give that officer the rope, and RIP Jacai.

No charges should be brought. It was a mistake with no ill intent.

Was the shooter this guy?
Came in to post this
laugh.gif

RIP to the officer though.

Those are mistakes you just can't make.

He needs to be done.
Cops are human too. Doesn't matter how much training you have. At the heat of the moment, **** happens.

I honestly believe the cop who shot didn't have wrong intentions.

What kinda training you need to tell the difference between dreads and a low cut?

I'm guessing that since they were under ambush and no one saw it coming, no one knew what the assailants looked like other than seeing that it was a black man shooting. Since Colson wasn't in uniform and was firing his weapon, that's where the mixup happened.

It's inexcusable but I'm glad that the PGPD came out and said that he was killed deliberately. Going forward, it's going to be interesting to see what happens, if anything, to the cop who killed Colson.

Just go to show that, white folks won't think twice on pulling the trigger on any black man. 

Just go to show that, white folks won't think twice on pulling the trigger on any black man. 

Eh I tend to agree but PG is one of the more diverse Police departments in the area this cop could have easily been black who shot him

Definitely unfortunate but im not sure you can really place blame under the circumstances.. dude jus literally pulled up an started shooting prob wasn't anytime to describe suspects

i been following this story ..

from my take I felt like Colson knew something and someone wanted him taken out.

I heard the police department does not plan on releasing the identity of the officer who shot Colson

i was skeptical on the story but so far the facts may lead to it being just a mistake. The question that needs to be asked was this incident avoidable under the circumstances.  But whole story is wild. 

It's an unfortunate mistake that anyone could have made in the heat of bullets flying. Especially if Colson was coming out of an unmarked car and and wearing regular clothes and nothing to identify himself as an officer.

Hopefully, PG will allocate more resources to officer training to avoid situations like this. But sometimes, **** happens.

Been following the story. RIP. Surprised they put out this information so fast. But I wanna know where was Colson in relation to everyone.

What kinda training you need to tell the difference between dreads and a low cut?
I'm guessing that since they were under ambush and no one saw it coming, no one knew what the assailants looked like other than seeing that it was a black man shooting. Since Colson wasn't in uniform and was firing his weapon, that's where the mixup happened.

It's inexcusable but I'm glad that the PGPD came out and said that he was killed deliberately. Going forward, it's going to be interesting to see what happens, if anything, to the cop who killed Colson.
i dont get how its inexcusable?

police station ambushed by unknown assailants...

unidentified person jumps out of car with gun drawn... and receives friendly fire...

don't try to mix this is with the actual murders that police officers have committed...

unidentified person jumps out of car with gun drawn... and receives friendly fire...

don't try to mix this is with the actual murders that police officers have committed...

It's inexcusable because the officer made a deadly ASSUMPTION. He needs to be tried. If what happened wasn't inexcusable, the PGPD wouldn't have used the term "deliberate" when describing Colson's death.

I am in no way saying the officer who killed Colson is a bad person, but he needs to see his day in court.

Last edited:

It's inexcusable because the officer made a deadly ASSUMPTION. He needs to be tried. If what happened wasn't inexcusable, the PGPD wouldn't have used the term "deliberate" when describing Colson's death.

I am in no way saying the officer who killed Colson is a bad person, but he needs to see his day in court.
lol...every deadly act in the line of duty is based on assumption...

the fact is that you can't have a trial and jury review evidence and deliberate on guilt/innocence while a shooting is ongoing in the street...

There has to be leeway for true accidents like this to happen, simply because there is a margin of human error that has to be accepted.

Pay out dude's family.... 

review training and procedure for target aquisition/identification

but the officer who killed him should not be punished unless there is evidence of neglecting procedure or malicious intent.

Even Navy Seals make mistakes in the field.... how do you expect a police force to operate 100% error free?

You're letting your emotions get the best of you ...

Cops need to go back to train on

Lethal enforcers
Or virtual cops

Slight reach

Last edited:
such a tragedy...

in the movies when its a bunch of cops and they have their guns drawn and they all are turning corners in a building looking for a suspect, I always think about them running into a fellow cop and shooting them.

it never happens tho... each cop's reaction is always on point.

guess thats why its a movie... not real life :smh:

I realize we're kind of forgotten about when these types of situations occur, but speaking for myself and most reasonable human beings, we'd think twice about shooting any human beings unless it was absolutely necessary.  I don't want to see anyone killed.  I'm a white Texan, but I don't own a gun.  I hate the situation our society is in.

The problem is that police culture ******* encourages people to shoot first and ask questions later, and they reinforce the ******** stereotype that leads to black men being shot without a second thought.  People can throw the "bad apple" argument out there, but the truth is that cop culture is ******* vile.  People that I've known that have become cops have completely changed once they're immersed in it.  Critical thinking isn't encouraged.  They're above that and without reproach.

Back
Top Bottom