Black Wealth in PG County (MD) Dashed by the Housing Crisis...

Beltsville seems to be a desirable area though, but it might be because it is on the border of Silver Spring and they can get their kids in MoCo County schools.Through a loophole or gaming the system. Either way it depends on the neighborhood your in when it comes to PG.

-A lot of families are not gonna choose PG over Moco because the quality of schools in Moco is way better. Even for black folk, cause you will find nice neighborhoods with a good number of other black families.

Last edited:
Is the Hyattsville Art District anything similar to Mosaic out in Fairfax?

i want to say sort because I've never been to the mosaic district, only have read about the development of it :lol:

its more of a to higher-end "main street, mom and pop shop" feel since Hyattsville is relatively small 

the bigger retail is at PG plaza
I don't get the same vibe from them. Mosaic is pretty much a mix-used town center constructed from the ground up on an open lot. HAD still has aged buildings mixed in with new developments along a major roadway for that area. So it was really revitalizing an area, not making one. Outside of the townhomes they built, all the other houses have been there since the 40s-50s(or whenever they were constructed).

Last edited:
I don't get the same vibe from them. Mosaic is pretty much a mix-used town center constructed from the ground up on an open lot. 
so mosaic is more a kin to say the Rockville town center ? 

like i said only read about it, never driven out there

Non minorities ? In the DMV area? Yes, they are not saying "F DC and NoVA imma buy a house in PG" That is said by literally 0 non minorities let alone people with money.

Perception is everything to a lot of people and around here if you live in PG you are "poor" or live in the "hood". 

Young professionals are buying homes in NoVA , DC, and MoCo. You do understand these young professionals are pulling in 85K-150K ? They have money out here its not some kids that graduated and found a decent job making 30K-50K. A lot of young people are caking out here.
Mitchellville, Bowie, Queen Anne, Woodmore, etc. are far from poor and is home to some of the most affluent african americans in the country.

The county as a whole does not a perception of being "poor". Only certain parts of the county do...the same way certain parts of Alexandria City, and Fairfax Co. have that perception.

Any of brahs know if that new apartment complex in College Park (the one next to the bars) aimed at students or the general public?

Any of brahs know if that new apartment complex in College Park (the one next to the bars) aimed at students or the general public?

View media item 1376116

this the one?... if thats the one you are talking about i heard its all students

Nah, I was living in CP when that went up, it is for students.

I drove through past UMD this X-Mas and their is a new huge apartment building (or what looks like it) right next to the bars. I think they had a book store there. It must be really new because it in not on Google maps yet

Last edited:
@VICTOR PAGE i know PG isn't that type of place , and I'm talking about non minorities. Those small parts of Alexandria and Fairfax are going to be cleaned up soon. It still stands that young professionals are not looking to buy in PG close to the city. Further out you go you have less metro access and more traffic.

Nah, I was living in CP when that went up, it is for students.

I drove through past UMD this X-Mas and their is a new huge apartment building (or what looks like it) right next to the bars. I think they had a book store there. It must be really new because it in not on Google maps yet

Haven't been to campus in a while (well duh I'm not a student there anymore :lol: ) but I know what you're talking about. Probably open to anyone but students will live there too. Lot of that on route 1

Last edited:

i started a thread in the local forum about fuego asking if it was fun and everyone was like yea, but i have yet to venture there :lol:  :smh:
I got fooled by the commercials on the radio thinking fuegos is live ...drove all the way out there n NO, that **** sucks :lol:

:lol: Yeah that **** is buns ( they make it sound like they got the craziest variety). But I brought a lot of alcohol and had mad fun anyways. Think I had some redbone bouncing her *** on my head rythmically to the beat, but I was wasted.

Non minorities ? In the DMV area? Yes, they are not saying "F DC and NoVA imma buy a house in PG" That is said by literally 0 non minorities let alone people with money.

Perception is everything to a lot of people and around here if you live in PG you are "poor" or live in the "hood". 

Young professionals are buying homes in NoVA , DC, and MoCo. You do understand these young professionals are pulling in 85K-150K ? They have money out here its not some kids that graduated and found a decent job making 30K-50K. A lot of young people are caking out here.

Mitchellville, Bowie, Queen Anne, Woodmore, etc. are far from poor and is home to some of the most affluent african americans in the country.

The county as a whole does not a perception of being "poor". Only certain parts of the county do...the same way certain parts of Alexandria City, and Fairfax Co. have that perception.

Honestly these areas are pretty much low (if not zero) violent crimes. Low amount of burglary and break ins, I hear more of this happening in Arlington/Alexandria than the region mentioned. Really nice, sleepy middle class area. But ****** schools and there's definitely an influx of DC's displaced.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know how much of Dematha's minority student body is from PG.

Interesting... I happen to be a young professional who purchased a house in PG county and my perspective on this is a lot different. I was born and raised in DC and decided to purchase in PG not because I couldn't afford to buy in DC but because I wanted more for my money. I didn't want a tiny condo or an outdated row house and I didn't want to deal with the headaches of a townhouse & HOA. I do agree with a lot of the points in here and I don't see me living here forever but compared to some of the stuff I saw living in DC my neighborhood is like Pleasantville. Someone who isn't black may consider it "seedy" whatever the hell that means but I have neighbors who are very successful and it is very quiet and peaceful.

Paying 2k+ on rent just to be near nightlife isn't a priority of mine when I can pay less than that and build equity. My situation may be unique but regardless just wanted to give a different perspective.

View media item 1174621

fontaine fontaine how close are those neighborhoods to each other in Dallas? I'm not familiar with the area, but a Google map search shows me that there are only 2.5 miles apart.

That's not the case with PG. While PG borders DC, the actually CBDs and night life areas are further into the city. Your looking at a 20 - 30 min train ride (plus getting to the station) or 30+ minute driving (that's without traffic) if they were to buy a home in Fairwood.

Young professionals new to the area want to live closer to amenities a city have to offer. They'll live 10-15 minutes away from a bar strip in a crappy apartment, but they won't bother living 30-40 minutes away even if the place is nice. Even if they do, they'd still want those same amenities so living in Arlington, VA or Downton Silver Spring, MD (both of which border DC line) makes a better option than anywhere in PG. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but PG doesn't have culturally diverse amenities and its really still bedroom communities inside the beltway.

Ok... That makes sense.

Yes, they're relatively close (here in dallas)... So you have a point there, famb.

repped.

Maybe sugar land would be a little better comparison because it's distance from houston.

LOL caking. Solidly middle class, sure.

Making $100k in DC is like making $65k in most other places in America.

Interesting... I happen to be a young professional who purchased a house in PG county and my perspective on this is a lot different. I was born and raised in DC and decided to purchase in PG not because I couldn't afford to buy in DC but because I wanted more for my money. I didn't want a tiny condo or an outdated row house and I didn't want to deal with the headaches of a townhouse & HOA. I do agree with a lot of the points in here and I don't see me living here forever but compared to some of the stuff I saw living in DC my neighborhood is like Pleasantville. Someone who isn't black may consider it "seedy" whatever the hell that means but I have neighbors who are very successful and it is very quiet and peaceful.

Paying 2k+ on rent just to be near nightlife isn't a priority of mine when I can pay less than that and build equity. My situation may be unique but regardless just wanted to give a different perspective.
Missed the most important detail @Fontaine . Ask 100 young professionals that can afford to buy a home in PG , DC and VA and I would be shocked if 15 said they would buy in PG. If they do pick PG guarantee you they are from the area.

You won't really get it unless you were from here. What part of PG did you buy in @Mel610 that is also another factor.

@richiecotite if you live within your means 100K is more than enough lol something that is foreign to many people.
laugh.gif
@ 100K = 65K here , don't be up to your neck in bills and you will be fine.

Word. You pretty much need your girl/wife to be pulling in something close to you.

PG has that stigma so all the coloreds move to another area that's not like that only for it to carry the same stigma down the road. It's a cycle you see all over america 
laugh.gif

What folks need to do is start keeping up the houses they buy. Folks buy houses and don't believe in doing minor fixes as time goes by to keep it current. I see that **** all the time in so called middle class black areas. I know some now that are now ran down from what they were when I was a kid. 

LOL caking. Solidly middle class, sure.

Making $100k in DC is like making $65k in most other places in America.

View media item 1376222

Sup d town..

:pimp:

Cost of living stats are pointless. I could probably go and find stats about the median salary in Texas being lower than that of DC. There's more opportunity here, more happening here, that's why it costs more to live here. A dollar is a dollar. Build your career in an expensive city if there's more opportunity then move elsewhere if you wish. But there's not point in comparing cost of living if you're looking for the best job/career opportunities at the present moment and can afford to live. Maybe if I had a family or was settling down I'd think differently.

Texas seems cool and real estate and stuff is cheap but I'll pass on that...for now.

Last edited:
Cost of living stats are pointless. I could probably go and find stats about the median salary in Texas is lower than that of DC. There's more opportunity here, more happening here. A dollar is a dollar. Build your career in an expensive city if there's more opportunity then move elsewhere.

Texas seems cool and real estate and stuff is cheap but I'll pass on that...for now.

got ANY source to back that claim up, my dude? Or are you just being a homer?

I hype up Cali ALL the time on this website... so i'm not just vouching for Texas because I live here.. But I've already had this argument w/ someone else...

I can literally pull up articles and stats on how corporations are relocating to Texas, and how Texas cities consistently rank in the top 10 as far as places for young pros, stable economy, and jobs....

And i BET money the difference in average salary between the two cities favors Dallas...

Meaning if you converted Dallas average salary to Washington DC average salary, you'd come out ahead... But if you converted Washington DC salary to Dallas salary, you'd lose out.

Last edited:
*shrugs* Well ill keep stacking a couple grand each month while everyone else needs 150K+ to live comfortable in the DC area
pimp.gif

PG has that stigma so all the coloreds move to another area that's not like that only for it to carry the same stigma down the road. It's a cycle you see all over america :lol:

What folks need to do is start keeping up the houses they buy. Folks buy houses and don't believe in doing minor fixes as time goes by to keep it current. I see that **** all the time in so called middle class black areas. I know some now that are now ran down from what they were when I was a kid. 

Ehh.

Consider this though. If I'm settling down in the area and buying a house, and I plan on having a families or already got one, MoCo is more appealing than PG.

The schools are much better, their is a nice concentration of black families (not cornballs either) in nice neighborhoods.

Schools Districts play a big part in families deciding where to settle down.

Last edited:
Cost of living stats are pointless. I could probably go and find stats about the median salary in Texas is lower than that of DC. There's more opportunity here, more happening here. A dollar is a dollar. Build your career in an expensive city if there's more opportunity then move elsewhere.

I hype up Cali ALL the time on this website... so i'm not just vouching for Texas because I live here.. But I've already had this argument w/ someone else...

I can literally pull up articles and stats on how corporations are relocating to Texas, and how Texas cities consistently rank in the top 10 as far as places for young pros, stable economy, and jobs....

And i BET money the difference in average salary between the two cities favors Dallas...

Meaning if you converted Dallas average salary to Washington DC average salary, you'd come out ahead... But if you converted Washington DC salary to Dallas salary, you'd lose out.

I have no reason to vouch for the DMV I've only been here 3 years. Couldn't care less about Texas stats. I find that people that go hard for one city/region usually have not traveled much (not saying that's you).

I'm just saying... Cost of living stats are pointless. Real estate is more in DC because supply and demand. The district is way smaller compared to Texas and therefore more highly concentrated with people fighting for land. No **** it costs more. Grocery indexes for cost of living I don't buy into.

I mean, how is cost of living a relevant stat? Outside of real estate.

Last edited:

I can't speak for dude but I'm kinda a homer too for the area. The three biggest negatives are housing cost, taxes, and traffic

Other than that the area is so :smokin

Great job market, beautiful area, night life, and oh lawwwwwwwwd the yamb selection :smh: :smokin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom