Blade Runner 2049 (10/06/17) - Ford, Gosling, Batista, Leto, etc... SciFi Masterpiece?

Reading these reviews has me like...

isPCglm19wcur.gif

i need to re watch the original. is it up on any streaming sites?

Saw the short last night, man it was good, perfectly captured the atmosphere and themes of the first movie, with a nod or two to Watanabe's most famous works, wish it was a series instead.

Those reviews have me more hyped. I can't watch the movie until I get back from a bachelor party weekend though.

The classic Blade Runner film will have its upcoming sequel 2049 released next month and Johnnie Walker has lunched a new scotch whiskey for the occasion. Introducing Johnnie Walker Black Label The Director’s Cut limited edition, the commemoration comes from a brief cameo of a Johnnie Walker bottle in the upcoming film.

Jim Beveridge and director Denis Villeneuve worked together to design this limited edition whiskey, taking cues from the future world of the film and conveying the Blade Runner world view and the mysterious colors it utilizes in its cinematography. The Director’s Cut limited edition is limited to only 39,000 bottles in the world, with only 240 in Hong Kong. It even contains 49% alcohol — 9% stronger than the average whiskey — as a nod to the film’s title.

I can't help thinking that Philip K **** would have the same reaction to Blade Runner 2049 if he were alive today. Like the paradoxical, disturbing and bewitching realms of the author's books, Blade Runner 2049 should not exist. It's a breathtaking film; a heartfelt burst of creative energy from some of the best movie-makers currently working. It is, in short, a masterpiece. [5*]

SOURCE: Den of Geek

As bold as the original Blade Runner and even more beautiful (especially if you see it in IMAX). Visually immaculate, swirling with themes as heart-rending as they are mind-twisting, 2049 is, without doubt, a good year. And one of 2017’s best. [5*]

SOURCE: Empire

Weirdly, I had forgotten about one of the little-discussed pleasures of the big screen: the simple effect of dialogue, echoing in a movie theatre. This film’s scale is extraordinary. It places the acid tab of cinema-pleasure on your tongue. [5*]

SOURCE: Guardian

It takes a vision and an ability few possess to take us back into a world locked in time and make it feel like brave and new. Make no mistake. Blade Runner 2049 is a triumph. As good as you want to be, and better than you could have expected. [5*]

SOURCE: HeyUGuys

For committed fans who have patiently waited 35 years for a sequel to Ridley Scott's mesmerizingly lento sci-fi landmark Blade Runner, the good news is that director Denis Villeneuve achieves something very close to the same narcotic effect in Blade Runner 2049 with a voluptuous mood bath that's impressively sustained from beginning to end. The problem is that 164 minutes occupy the distance between that beginning and end, yet another example of directorial excess where self-discipline would have been a great benefit (the release version of the original ran 118 minutes).

SOURCE: The Hollywood Reporter

Perhaps one of the greatest fears fans had about a Blade Runner sequel was that it would simply replicate (ahem) the innovative and influential visual style Ridley Scott established in that film, while filling it with some kind of standard good-vs.-evil Hollywood cop tale. It’s a huge relief to see that Villeneuve and his team are well aware of what the original film was about and show enormous respect for it. Instead, 2049 plays off of the themes, plot, and characters of the 1982 movie without cannibalizing it or negating or retroactively ruining any of those elements. Rather, it organically expands and grows what came before. It’s a deep, rich, smart film that’s visually awesome and full of great sci-fi concepts, and one that was well worth the 35-year wait. [9.7/10]

SOURCE: IGN

Thirty-five years ago, Blade Runner was misunderstood and dismissed in the summer of E.T. It remains to be seen whether mainstream audiences will prove more receptive to this equally esoteric follow-up in 2017. Villeneuve’s film is a direct continuation in every respect; it’s difficult to imagine anyone – even Ridley Scott – making a better Blade Runner sequel. We truly have seen things you people wouldn’t believe... [5*]

SOURCE: Total Film

But there’s just something about Blade Runner 2049 that stuck with me in a positive way that the first one didn’t, no matter how hard I try to love it. The tone of Blade Runner is still very much present: it’s slow and deliberate and no one seems happy, just like it should be if you’re recreating this world. And there are parts that drag. (This would not be a Blade Runner movie if it didn’t drag at times.) But I found myself feeling more invested in the story than I ever was with the first movie, and a big reason for that is Gosling.

SOURCE: Uproxx

The first Blade Runner influenced a generation of filmmakers and films; 2049 is the rare sequel that exceeds the original and honestly could be more important in the long run. It’s a moving, masterful movie that demands a rewatch and will wow geeks and mainstream viewers alike — so much so we probably won’t have to wait 35 years for another one.

SOURCE: USA Today

Sure as it is to delight “Blade Runner” fans, this stunningly elegant follow-up doesn’t depend on having seen the original — and like 2010’s “Tron: Legacy,” may actually play better to those who aren’t wedded to the franchise’s muddled off-screen mythology.

SOURCE: Variety

I don't want to read any of the reviews because of spoilers but I wonder how Hans score came out...

Watched the OG for the first time last night, went straight to The Final Cut. I knew I was seeing something special during Roy's monologue.

Ready for next week!

Anybody planning on doing the double feature? Some theaters by me are showing the Final Cut and 2049 b2b.

Back
Top Bottom