Blueprint III revisited. Where does this belong in the decade? 2000-2010

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

AG and Vol. 1 were NOT better than the Blueprint. 1) Both are great albums, but both are not as good as the album that already encapsulated the stories and sound he already achieved with RD. 2) Especially AG, which is why some people were turned off by the album. They were wondering why a dude of his stature and position was still talking about being a hustler, and once again not EVERYONE wants to hear that. 3) At least BP varied the stories and sound, and was the best album Jay-Z released about making the transition from broke street hustler to music icon.

1) Why do the albums have to be better than RD to be considered better than BP??? That doesn't make sense bro.  Lets be serious about this for a second, Jay has told the same story for ummmm lemme see 5 albums straight, then he took a break and started talking about himself and how great he was, how much money he had etc.  That doesn't change that he was actually spitting about topics of substance, sharply and his production was damn good (minus I Know What Girls Like... Puff
30t6p3b.gif
)  They are better than BP bro.

2) What are you talking about??? People were turned off by KC and the sound that he attempted to push on the public then, everybody embraced AG from the moment it dropped. It was "Oh alright he still can spit, he still has it" and it made people look at KC even funnier.  As far as everyone not wanting to hear that, this album put Jay back in good standing with his core audience, his fans from day 1 and took off that he's washed up he should've stayed retired label his peers were starting to give him.

3) HUH?!?!?! Varies in Stories and Sound??? What were you listening to??? If you're talking about the Production sound, then yea... But if you're talking about his rhymes, then NO!!!
The Rulers Back (I'm the Best)
Takeover (I'm the Best)
Izzo (More About Me)
Girls Girls Girls (I Got %@+#!$% Cuh!)
Jigga That _ (I'm the Best)
U Don't Know (Where I'm From, but nowhere near as good)
Hola Hovito (I'm the Best)
Heart of the City (THIS IS COLD COLD)
Never Change (COLD COLD)
Song Cry (This Is Different for him & Cold)
All I Need (This is also COLD)
Renegade (This was already a song with a concept/vibe/story before he dropped royce's bars and added his, so you can't count this)
Mamma Love's Me (More About Me, Lyrically working out COLD, I Got More %@+#!$% Cuh!)

So minus Heart of the City, Never Change, Song Cry, All I Need, & Lyrical Exercise (and I could really exclude All I Need because we've heard this before but its just too cold SHOUT OUT to Bink!) what stories are varied on this album again???

BP was alot about Jay attaining his status as one of the visible faces of hip-hop (and the stories behind achieving that fame) and more importantly getting at everyone who wanted to knock him off his perch. Combined with the production, there wasn't another album like it in his catalog. You saw Jay making the transition to the artist at the top of his game with BP.AG got praise for being an overall great album, but one of the negatives that it got in the press was that it was protraying a Jay that you already saw in RD. Some thought it was a bit phony, and given by the sales of the album people weren't ALL that interested in listening to "RD Jay part 2". Probably because the audience that listens to Jay is alot more diverse than what you see here in NT.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

AG and Vol. 1 were NOT better than the Blueprint. 1) Both are great albums, but both are not as good as the album that already encapsulated the stories and sound he already achieved with RD. 2) Especially AG, which is why some people were turned off by the album. They were wondering why a dude of his stature and position was still talking about being a hustler, and once again not EVERYONE wants to hear that. 3) At least BP varied the stories and sound, and was the best album Jay-Z released about making the transition from broke street hustler to music icon.

1) Why do the albums have to be better than RD to be considered better than BP??? That doesn't make sense bro.  Lets be serious about this for a second, Jay has told the same story for ummmm lemme see 5 albums straight, then he took a break and started talking about himself and how great he was, how much money he had etc.  That doesn't change that he was actually spitting about topics of substance, sharply and his production was damn good (minus I Know What Girls Like... Puff
30t6p3b.gif
)  They are better than BP bro.

2) What are you talking about??? People were turned off by KC and the sound that he attempted to push on the public then, everybody embraced AG from the moment it dropped. It was "Oh alright he still can spit, he still has it" and it made people look at KC even funnier.  As far as everyone not wanting to hear that, this album put Jay back in good standing with his core audience, his fans from day 1 and took off that he's washed up he should've stayed retired label his peers were starting to give him.

3) HUH?!?!?! Varies in Stories and Sound??? What were you listening to??? If you're talking about the Production sound, then yea... But if you're talking about his rhymes, then NO!!!
The Rulers Back (I'm the Best)
Takeover (I'm the Best)
Izzo (More About Me)
Girls Girls Girls (I Got %@+#!$% Cuh!)
Jigga That _ (I'm the Best)
U Don't Know (Where I'm From, but nowhere near as good)
Hola Hovito (I'm the Best)
Heart of the City (THIS IS COLD COLD)
Never Change (COLD COLD)
Song Cry (This Is Different for him & Cold)
All I Need (This is also COLD)
Renegade (This was already a song with a concept/vibe/story before he dropped royce's bars and added his, so you can't count this)
Mamma Love's Me (More About Me, Lyrically working out COLD, I Got More %@+#!$% Cuh!)

So minus Heart of the City, Never Change, Song Cry, All I Need, & Lyrical Exercise (and I could really exclude All I Need because we've heard this before but its just too cold SHOUT OUT to Bink!) what stories are varied on this album again???

BP was alot about Jay attaining his status as one of the visible faces of hip-hop (and the stories behind achieving that fame) and more importantly getting at everyone who wanted to knock him off his perch. Combined with the production, there wasn't another album like it in his catalog. You saw Jay making the transition to the artist at the top of his game with BP.AG got praise for being an overall great album, but one of the negatives that it got in the press was that it was protraying a Jay that you already saw in RD. Some thought it was a bit phony, and given by the sales of the album people weren't ALL that interested in listening to "RD Jay part 2". Probably because the audience that listens to Jay is alot more diverse than what you see here in NT.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

"Reminder's" hook is horrible, but it sounds great in he whip...that 96-2009 line was one the weakest rhymes he's ever spit. "Off that" is very poor. "Real as it gets" is a Jeezy song that isn't very good. Other then that, I like the album a lot 4.25/out of 5 for me. All I got,definately not a classic in my book...

I pretty much agree with this although I will bump the album down to a 4/5 for me.  Some very good songs on this album including Thank You, Already Home and So Ambitious.  Album would have been stronger minus three tracks IMO get rid of "Off That", "Reminder" and "Hate" and you have a very solid 12 track album.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

"Reminder's" hook is horrible, but it sounds great in he whip...that 96-2009 line was one the weakest rhymes he's ever spit. "Off that" is very poor. "Real as it gets" is a Jeezy song that isn't very good. Other then that, I like the album a lot 4.25/out of 5 for me. All I got,definately not a classic in my book...

I pretty much agree with this although I will bump the album down to a 4/5 for me.  Some very good songs on this album including Thank You, Already Home and So Ambitious.  Album would have been stronger minus three tracks IMO get rid of "Off That", "Reminder" and "Hate" and you have a very solid 12 track album.

I like it but havent bumped since APRIL or MAY... tracks 1- 6 or 7 (cant remember) had a good start but as the album kept going he lost a lot of momentum.. Venus v Mars is ehhh, that joint with Cudi is tough but that hook makes me cringe , and forever young is trash the joint with DRAKE is trash too..

I like it but havent bumped since APRIL or MAY... tracks 1- 6 or 7 (cant remember) had a good start but as the album kept going he lost a lot of momentum.. Venus v Mars is ehhh, that joint with Cudi is tough but that hook makes me cringe , and forever young is trash the joint with DRAKE is trash too..

N had the audacity to say it's better than the Black Album
30t6p3b.gif

"What More Can I Say" sons this whole album easily.

N had the audacity to say it's better than the Black Album
30t6p3b.gif

"What More Can I Say" sons this whole album easily.

My man REALLY said Mr Knowles was talkin about some @%!@ on BP3
laugh.gif

Obama??

You can't be serious, he said 2 bars about him, and he was taking credit for helpin get him elected
laugh.gif

This is just KC executed a lil better...

laugh.gif

Obama??

You can't be serious, he said 2 bars about him, and he was taking credit for helpin get him elected
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

laugh.gif

Obama??

laugh.gif

Once again, if you weren't interested in it then cool. Your opinion and I respect it. But alot of other people wanted to listen and bought the album, making it one of Jay's more successful albums in his career and doing numbers and charting singles that KC and AD didn't do. NT is known for one thing when it comes to music, it that is some posters here don't understand it's simply a subset of a vast music audience.

laugh.gif

Obama??

laugh.gif

Once again, if you weren't interested in it then cool. Your opinion and I respect it. But alot of other people wanted to listen and bought the album, making it one of Jay's more successful albums in his career and doing numbers and charting singles that KC and AD didn't do. NT is known for one thing when it comes to music, it that is some posters here don't understand it's simply a subset of a vast music audience.

It wasn't really one of his more "successful" albums...

I think it sold 1.8... He has atleast 5 or 6 MULTI platinum albums in his catalog... (Based soley on sales, BP3 would be grouped with AG, KC etc as albums that didn't surpass 2 mill copies)

He prolly had his best performing singles on this album, but there's a lot of different factors that played into that...

Gotta remember the LEGAL song downloads play a role in songs Hot 100 chart positioning (which debunks the AZ fans theory of half the album could have charted, because each song the oppurtunity to do so, but DIDN'T) if iTunes existed when "Hard Knock Life" came out that DEF would've went to #1 on the charts, along with "Can I Get A" (prolly would've subtracted 30-35% of total sales tho)...

Mr Knowles would have ATLEAST 4 or 5 #1 singles if he had the benefit of LEGAL download #s throughout his career...

I think it sold 1.8... He has atleast 5 or 6 MULTI platinum albums in his catalog... (Based soley on sales, BP3 would be grouped with AG, KC etc as albums that didn't surpass 2 mill copies)

He prolly had his best performing singles on this album, but there's a lot of different factors that played into that...

Gotta remember the LEGAL song downloads play a role in songs Hot 100 chart positioning (which debunks the AZ fans theory of half the album could have charted, because each song the oppurtunity to do so, but DIDN'T) if iTunes existed when "Hard Knock Life" came out that DEF would've went to #1 on the charts, along with "Can I Get A" (prolly would've subtracted 30-35% of total sales tho)...

Mr Knowles would have ATLEAST 4 or 5 #1 singles if he had the benefit of LEGAL download #s throughout his career...

Knew I shouldn't have entered this thread...

BP3 is a classic?

BP3 is better than TBA?

What the #$## are some of you on?

BP3 is a classic?

BP3 is better than TBA?

Originally Posted by Anthony Stark

BP3 is a classic?

BP3 is better than TBA?

My eyes have never seen so much Blasphemy, Cake and HOTR are the only ones making sense. I must be getting old. 
tired.gif

BP3 is a classic?

BP3 is better than TBA?

My eyes have never seen so much Blasphemy, Cake and HOTR are the only ones making sense. I must be getting old. 
tired.gif

Solid points, but keep in mind that BP3 is doing numbers since its release that it took AG and KC (and some of his other multi-plat albums) YEARS to do. Plus in this era of internet bootlegging, some numbers that he enjoyed earlier in his career pre-"Internet" is not as easy to attain today. It goes both ways.

Solid points, but keep in mind that BP3 is doing numbers since its release that it took AG and KC (and some of his other multi-plat albums) YEARS to do. Plus in this era of internet bootlegging, some numbers that he enjoyed earlier in his career pre-"Internet" is not as easy to attain today. It goes both ways.

Originally Posted by Futuristic

BP3 is a classic?

BP3 is better than TBA?

tired.gif

you not reading much then.

Back
Top Bottom