Boxers: A Few Questions

Recently my boyfriend began boxing, Muay Thai specifically. He can't really afford to keep going, and he doesn't have the time, so for Christmas Iwould like to get him a heavy bag. I don't know much about them and I have a few questions. First, the Muay Thai ones are more expensive. Do they make ahuge difference? Second, his house is not the most sturdy. Would we have a difficult time finding a place to hang it? The ones that come with a base are alittle out of my price range. Are they worth it if hanging is a problem? Do they work as well? Third, I am thinking about getting him a 70 lb one. Is this agood weight? I'm looking at this one. http://www.everlast.com/Nevatear-Heavy-Bag/productinfo/EVNB/ Is this one good? I'm notlooking for anything too serious or expensive. He's not a professional, it's mostly just for fun.

I wouldnt buy a heavy bag if I couldnt hang it somewhere. The one's with bases dont really offer the same feel in terms of the movement you want from a bagand the movement you want to do around the bag. You could probably hit up a sporting goods store and check one out in person to make sure its sturdy and whatyou're looking for.

How hard is it to find a place to hang them? I mean, he doesn't live in a trailer or anything. And yeah, that's pretty much what I've heard aboutthe ones with bases.

YOu can find a heavy bag and a cage hanginging thingy on craigslist. Or just buy the cage and buy a new bag.

I bought an 100lb hanging everlast bag and while it's cheap it's not very good quality. I belong to a pro boxing gym now and the difference between probags and the ones you can buy at the sporting good stores is like night and day. Everlast and store bought ones generally harden up at the bottom after a fewmonths of use and the shape really deforms. If you can afford it and your bf has space buy something like this

http://www.ringside.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GHB 125

Kickboxing bags are different than traditional boxing bags but I've seen kickboxers/mma guys use both.

My best advice is tho however, make the time and maybe save the money you'd spend on a heavy bag and use that toward gym membership. There are other thingsyou can buy at home that are less complicated than a heavy bag to train fighters. If you can any other questions let me know!

Thanks, guys. That's a really nice one, but out of my price range. If he ends up really, really loving it we can upgrade to something like that. Is 70 lbstoo lights? And what are the parameters for finding a place to hang it? Is it really hard?

It's not really hard, just need to buy the swivel to attach to a ceiling. Is there a solid beam on the ceiling anywhere in the house? Well just try thissince he's into muy thai anyways

http://www.ringside.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EVMTHB&opt=848

If it isn't durable like i think it's gonna be (most pro's hate everlast cuz the quality sucks) least you can return it because I've seen someof these bags at sporting good chains. And I'd get the 100lb, not much more money and well worth it.

Those Muay Thai ones are out of stock in the sites I've checked, but I have time to wait. Everlast is really that bad? Are the Ringside ones better? Thereare beams but he's the nervous type.

Is leather the best material to get? I'm noticing the unfilled ones now. If I got one of those could we fill and refill them every once in a while thusnegating the shape deforming and bottom hardening? Are they a pain to deal with? Do you need very special sand or something?

Well you have until x-mas, plus I'm not sure but I'm assuming you live in NY from your screen name so you might be able to find them in stores. I thinkringside is better personally in terms of durability. What happens with the cheap bags is that the stuffing slides down so the bottom gets rock hard and thetop is empty. If your bf is really nervous about hanging a 100lb bag up(which is normal don't wanna wreck the house haha) maybe you can just get him asitup bench, light weights, jump rope/mat.

Or this

http://www.walmart.com/ca...t.do?product_id=10205073

Walmart has some decent cheap stuff, including muy thai bags. Good thing is if he doesn't like it or it feels like junk you can just return it.

Back
Top Bottom