Boxing.. Vol. Payouts

What determines how much each boxer wins after a fight?
My friend's argument:

Payouts are based on a boxer's popularity. For example, lets say Floyd Mayweather wanted $100 million dollars to fight Pacman, and if Floyd lost would he still get the $100 million due to his status?

My argument:

The $100 million is put in a pot, and whoever wins gets 100% of the earnings, and the losing boxer will walk away with a little less, but nothing close to the $100 million or what the winning boxer won.

Shed some light on this topic.. 
nerd.gif

If we are talking about the cream of the crop, each fighter is assured a certain dollar figure no matter the outcome of the fight, just depends on the % split agreed upon prior to the fight. Some fights may be 50/50, others 60/40, etc. They may also, and most top fighters do, get %'s of the gate, PPV buys, merchandise, etc.

Professional fighters usually negotiate either a guaranteed amount, a share of the gate and tv revenue, or a combination. Because of the way that the contracts are negotiated, the way you described is I guess possible, if both fighters agreed to such a situation, but given the unpredictable nature of the sport (bad refs, judges, random injuries, etc.), it's very highly unlikely that a boxer is willing to make a 100-0 purse split. To be honest, I don't think I remember any situation like that (0-100 split) ever happening in a meaningful, televised pro fight (although I could obviously be wrong). I have heard of fighters making bets about giving a different split or betting an amount if someone wins by KO (most recently I think Hopkins-RJ had something like this), but fighters want to make sure they get a paycheck each time they risk their lives stepping into the ring, especially top fighters.

So I guess to settle ur arguement, you're both right to an extent, but your friend is more right. Share/revenue is determined based on marketing power and revenue generation (obv. people like Pacman, Mayweather will always get a bigger share whoever they fight and it's guaranteed), but I guess you're not entirely wrong because it's conceivable that such a contract could be made (a winner take all split). Just with boxing, all the corruption, politics, injuries, unpredictability and the fact that it's a business that has to feed a man's family, it pretty much never happens (and may have never happened in any pro fight, but never say never)

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

What determines how much each boxer wins after a fight?
My friend's argument:

Payouts are based on a boxer's popularity. For example, lets say Floyd Mayweather wanted $100 million dollars to fight Pacman, and if Floyd lost would he still get the $100 million due to his status?

My argument:

The $100 million is put in a pot, and whoever wins gets 100% of the earnings, and the losing boxer will walk away with a little less, but nothing close to the $100 million or what the winning boxer won.

Shed some light on this topic.. 
nerd.gif

Your friend.

Boxing makes money by PPV and arena tickets. Popular fighters = you can charge more per ticket and more people will watch PPV. It's pretty straight forward. Dudes who can generate 200M revenue are not going to do that pot nonsense you discussed in your point. The downside for the popular guy......is pretty strong using your rationale. Risk vs. Return........

Think about it logically.

Back
Top Bottom