BoyCott or Not???

slg

The reason I typed this topic is because I see all of the people who have been on this board like myself complain for a while. I am married and older soperhaps I look at life differently now but you really have the choice to either accept what Jordan brand does or not. I have read my Fair share of postthroughout these last 7 years through different stages and I like many other older people have come to the same conclusion..... I really must ask who iswilling to put there money where there mouth is..... I have read and typed myself more than a few times about this exact topic and I realize that I am not in asmall minority on this board but the time is here..... Nike is about money pure and simple!!!! Always has been always will be. I like somany have been seeing this trend of higher prices and poorer quality descend to this point to where it is now. For those who are on here who are one, two,three ,or four pairs away from completing their collections they will not be able to understand where I am going with this. Nike talk in my opinion is theonly place where you get true dialogue amongst true shoe enthusiast especially those who have been collecting or buying for a while. I like many of youstarted out years ago loving the shoes but not understanding the business side of things and where I fell in the equation. I like many of you have in thetriple digits when it comes to shoes and at least one version of the possible greatest shoe of all time over the last two decades the Air Jordan. I love shoeslike so many of you but the state of the shoe culture mirrors the American Economic climate to a tee. It seems that Jordan Brand is trying to continue toascend to lofts where four digit sneakers are not too far away,$ 300.00-$400.00 packs are the norm and of course quality down and prices up are always ineffect. So since we are the people who truly are the trend setters why don't we send a message..... I am a proud African American male who looks tohistory always to gain perspective. How many of you would really sit out a pack, retro, lazer, spizike or whatever release to send a message just like thegreat African American leaders of the past who sacrificed so much for me and others to be able to type this message to you right now. I'm not going togive you lecture about social justice since Jordan's are a luxury item but think people!!!! This is ridiculous. Without Martin Luther King there would beno Michael Jordan. Martin Luther King Jr. understood the only way to send a message to racist in the south was not just through peaceful disobedience becauseof social injustice but through the bottom line in economics!!!!! A Boy Cott is exactly this!This is exactly in the end on how why many believe Martin LutherKing Jr. got killed in Memphis marching with the Garbage men and the poor peoples movement. Money, Money, Money!!!! When you take a stance about the rich andthe poor which is much more serious than this not everyone is happy but this is about fighting for what is ours!!! You might not think you matter to Jordan brand but you do because each of us have shown our love time and time again and what have we gottenback????? Economics at the end of the day is all a business is about and you as the consumer have the right to choose what you accept andwhat you do not. Jordan brand spends no money advertising there most successful product which still is and will always be its retro products. Twenty yearold technology given to us closely with just enough to wet our appetites and keep us loyal but for what.... If we do not take a stand at some point than justexpect Nike to get richer, you get poorer and watch the same thing come out again not exactly with a Jump man on the back. I know some of you will supportwhat I am saying and some will not but I just want people to know that if we get stratified, unified, connected on a common goal change can and will happen. I've seen petition's in the past but not a call to action. Anyways I have a real life besides this but I thought I'd give some of you allsomething to think about. Knowledge is power and if you don't use it you loose it. Thank You and Good Night!

hard to take you seriously when ya dont even know how to spell boycott

unless you actually meant boy cot.. if thats the case stay away from me bra

thedonR, you're not funny. but i just had to skim through it, too much to read for me lol.

if you think the prices are too high for crappy quality shoes, then don't buy it. you don't gotta go boycott or anything.

Amen. i want to do something about it too. Couldn't agree more.

Much respect. The issue is that no one will want to unite on this

topic because no matter waht people are going to be willing to

fork up for the retros, no matter how crappy they are. I agree with

you 100% though.

If there are some spelling errors I apologize I work a real job I am an adult......but I appreciate those who look past the external and see the messagethat you have choice.... I still do love the shoes but I want to hear do you think people can actually realize they have a choice!!!! They really can make whatwe want but we have to have the voice...

my bad just messin with ya :tongue:

at least ure joint was heartfelt.. ill give ya that

I agree with you but what can we do? Nike is a big big big corporation. If all of us at Niketalk go on a boycott, all that means to Nike is that the rest ofpeople that know nothing of NT will get their pairs of shoes not to mention resellers. Shoes still sell out, Nike and JB are happy, we got nothing. Love forshoes talks and no one here will bite. I know i wouldnt

Originally Posted by thedonR

hard to take you seriously when ya dont even know how to spell boycott

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I just want to hear what you all think. To donR I see you have been on the board for 3 months as opposed to my seven years so I do expect some immaturity fromsomeone who used to be called a newbie but Nike talk got past that and remains to have integrity above the rest. You all do not realize how great of a toolNike talk is. This the place where you can actually have this kind of discussion. You do not have to agree and I know I do somewhat go off on a tangent butjust think if you and your circle of friends and other people who wear Jordan's really reacted with a financial backlash. Believe it or not some of youall remember when certain people warned us on this board who worked internally warned us to not support the pack idea because they saw the writing on the wall2-3 years ago. This is just the further extent of being disgruntled with the direction of the brand. We all obviously have some nostalgic connection butwhere does that say we must check common sense at the door. You do not have to agree but think of the money you have been spending and what you keepcomplaining about!

I appreciate this post for the simple reason that the post starter membership is almost as old as mine. So I can be absolutely sure that he has seen what Iseen develop within the culture. Niketalk is the only truth I have ever come to realize for the past 7 years of my life.
tongue.gif

SLG, i am with you, but i believe we are fighting a lost cause. the market is now driven by kids who werent even alive to see jordan play, let alone physicallyown the real og. they dont have a perspective for comparison so there is no way to understand what theyre missing out on. the common frame of mind now is"just be glad we're lucky enough that jordan brand is allowing us the privilege to purchase these." the unfortunate thing is sneakers are justthe stylish thing right now for highschoolers. the product will never improve until it goes back out of fashion and the consumer market forces nikes hand toproduce something better.

I sometimes wonder what the IQ or maturity level of some of these people on here is that feel the need to comment on every little insignificant thing like theman's spelling...instead of answering back with a relevant opinion on the thread's content itself...
eyes.gif

With that out the way, I feel that JB products have such a large consumer base that it wouldn't matter if NT were to boycott their products. Remember, NTis a microcosm to the large consumer base around the world. Even if each and every one of us on NT would boycott their products the merchandise would gladly bebought by someone else. I definitely don't advocate the poor quality standards of recent JB products, but as a 26 year old man, who has seen the OG modelseach year on the sales racks as well as seeing Jordan play on tv.....I'm simply making up for lost time to cop these retros on my own. My family wasn'tabout purchasing $100 plus Air Jordan OG's each and every year during MJ's playing days. So the only OG's I ever had were the Air Jordan 7's(Hare and Bordeaux). So there's no way for people who didn't grow up with the means to cop these OG's to compare, but I'm just as big of a fanand as much a fan as anybody else who did have the means to have the OG's back in the day to sit there and compare......anyways I keep my retros in goodcondition and this will probably be my last "serious" year in this but I can't boycott the shoes I wanna get yet.

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

I sometimes wonder what the IQ or maturity level of some of these people on here is that feel the need to comment on every little insignificant thing
laugh.gif
Funny you say that since I like how you attacked me withall that righteousness flaming me on criticizing the quality of the OL/NL pack in a post before when now you sound completely contradicting....anyways, I wasglad that you actually can read this time around since you sounded like you didn't last time...

Now back to the replying to the author of the post...

I absolutely agree with you and I had been doing my part since about 5 yr.s ago when I decided to pass on alot of the usual favourites since I am at that agewhere I don't want to be a mindless consumer. I do complaint alot about qualities but I ain't the ones that whine about it yet go and purchase the shoeanyways. I am happy with having my run-to-the-ground OGs from my youthful days to remind me of those days. In a way I am active in the community not just byattending footwear related events but also by not purchasing any releases since I cannot bear with the idea of how they butchered some of the original designcues.

At the current rate of globalization, all brands are out to make the quickest cash grab since they assume the mass public had long been desensitized by theidea of "top notch quality". Though is quite the contrary, the current "wasteful" state of our consumer culture had encouraged these"quality" brands to ironically neglect quality with their products. The consumers then realizing the gradual disappearing of quality would then lowertheir standard and expectations to accept this "new" reality.

At the end of the day, I can see myself talking to my grand kids years down the road about these relic I used to collect call Air Jordans from this companycalled JB which had been long gone by the time then......kinda like Troops if you ask me.

Originally Posted by MASARO

Though is quite the contrary, the current "wasteful" state of our consumer culture had encouraged these "quality" brands to ironically neglect quality with their products. The consumers then realizing the gradual disappearing of quality would then lower their standard and expectations to accept this "new" reality.

Yea, that sounds bout right....
......kinda like Troops if you ask me.
I think anything can happen....JB going belly up like Troops....
roll.gif

I don't buy what I don't like. I'm in college though and can't really buy all that much. I think it is comical though that several people willsay that a shoe is completely ugly aka Aloha Dunk, and will buy them when they find out their limited. People (in general) will buy whatever everyone else saysis hot. It's sad, but I never thought I'd see variant colors from JB. The day has come and is here to stay so I better move on and buy other stuff.

i would if there were a big enough group, but it aint gonna happen. all the beasts will buy anyway

Ya Boy Cott mad errors in the paragraphs yo.
laugh.gif

It's going to be hard to get consumers to rethink past all of the many years of successful marketing from Nike Inc./JB...but good luck.

Originally Posted by MASARO

Originally Posted by AirUpHere23

I sometimes wonder what the IQ or maturity level of some of these people on here is that feel the need to comment on every little insignificant thing
laugh.gif
Funny you say that since I like how you attacked me with all that righteousness flaming me on criticizing the quality of the OL/NL pack in a post before when now you sound completely contradicting....anyways, I was glad that you actually can read this time around since you sounded like you didn't last time...

Now back to the replying to the author of the post...

I absolutely agree with you and I had been doing my part since about 5 yr.s ago when I decided to pass on alot of the usual favourites since I am at that age where I don't want to be a mindless consumer. I do complaint alot about qualities but I ain't the ones that whine about it yet go and purchase the shoe anyways. I am happy with having my run-to-the-ground OGs from my youthful days to remind me of those days. In a way I am active in the community not just by attending footwear related events but also by not purchasing any releases since I cannot bear with the idea of how they butchered some of the original design cues.

At the current rate of globalization, all brands are out to make the quickest cash grab since they assume the mass public had long been desensitized by the idea of "top notch quality". Though is quite the contrary, the current "wasteful" state of our consumer culture had encouraged these "quality" brands to ironically neglect quality with their products. The consumers then realizing the gradual disappearing of quality would then lower their standard and expectations to accept this "new" reality.

At the end of the day, I can see myself talking to my grand kids years down the road about these relic I used to collect call Air Jordans from this company called JB which had been long gone by the time then......kinda like Troops if you ask me.
You mean to tell me, you're still dwelling on a past topic I couldn't give a crap about!?
laugh.gif
I'm not even gonna get into details as to what our disagreement was about.It was corny anyways, and the next thing I know I check my inbox and I get a message in my inbox about how I'm this..how I'm that..cussin' at me,all because my opinion was different than yours. Masaro...you don't concern me, you never have, and you never will and I'm just takin the time to typethis seeing how I write something and you feel the need to quote me. You're an idiot for the record....I couldn't care less about your opinion.Don't bother me, and I won't bother you...sorry NT.~
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom