Brand Jordan Edition: The Last dance Documentary.

Thoughts on the Wizard years:

-the Eastern Conference was tough in 2001-2003. Whoever says otherwise doesn’t know the era.
-was anyone seriously expecting him to dominate the league at age 38 while Shaq, Kobe, Tmac, Pierce, Dirk, Timmy, Vince and A.I were holding their own? MJ said as much in his press conference basically.

-He was 38-40yrs old averaging over 20 & 5, sprinkled in were 30 - 50 pieces, clutch offensive and defensive moments. Who‘a doing that today at that age? Seems now that kind of production slips after 32. What he did at his age was still Amazing. The footwork was still stellar. A lot of prime players still don’t move like that.

-the absence of this era by MJ is really tied into his disdain for the organization, not his lack of success. There were Wizard themed XIIs and gear that were scrapped weeks after his infamous blow up with Abe Polin..That’s how we ended up with French Blue XIIs.

The greats are entitled to end their careers on their own terms. They earned it. And that’s what he did.

Last edited:

-the Eastern Conference was tough in 2001-2003. Whoever says otherwise doesn’t know the era.
-was anyone seriously expecting him to dominate the league at age 38 while Shaq, Kobe, Tmac, Pierce, Vince and A.I were holding their own? MJ said as much in his press conference basically.

-He was 38-40yrs old averaging over 20 & 5, sprinkled in were 30 - 50 pieces, clutch offensive and defensive moments. Who‘a doing that today at that age? Seems now that kind of production slips after 32. What he did at his age was still Amazing. The footwork was still stellar. A lot of prime players still don’t move like that.

-the absence of this era by MJ is really tied into his disdain for the organization, not his lack of success. There were Wizard themed XIIs and gear that were scrapped weeks after his infamous blow up with Abe Polin..That’s how we ended up with French Blue XIIs.

The greats are entitled to end their careers on their own terms. They earned it. And that’s what he did.

The last time I checked, basketball was a team sport.

The Wizards are an awful franchise that has literally not made the ECF in 40+ years at this point. They are a toxic organization that has enabled terrible behavior in awful human beings like Gilbert Arenas. Also, they have let Ernie Grunfeld essentially wipe his rear with the franchise for years. Not to mention even before all of this, they historically have mismanaged contracts and players (I.e. Chris Webber grade) and made horrible draft choices like drafting Kaine Brown #1 (over Pau) and Jan Vesley (over Kawhi and Klay Thompson, among many others). This is the same franchise who, in 1996, traded away a top 10-11 pick in a stacked class for an aging, 33 year old Mark Price. This was in one of the best draft classes ever where they could have drafted a Steve Nash (or even Kobe) instead..

MJ going to the Wizards in 2001 is like Tom Brady signing with the Browns or Bengals in 2020. Nobody, not even MJ, can save this organization since decades of careless ownership has essentially driven it into the ground.

The Washington Wizards are an absolute disgrace of a professional sports franchise and it’a incredible the GOAT basketball player spent his twilight there.

On one end it did tarnish his legacy a little bit ... a lot so statistically. 32 ppg career average to just edging out Wilt with 30 ppg.

It made him seem more human and less godly.

But at the same time it added to his legend and made him likable. Showed even without absurd athleticism he was still a ridiculously crafty, intelligent, skilled, and productive / impactful player.

And just how competitive he was ... to even risk his legendary status to face guys 20 years younger than him and in their prime. That’s extreme levels of competitiveness and fearlessness.

And he more than held his own and in many cases got the better of younger players.

Not to mention his whole road to his comeback was derailed, as per Ron Artest, he was torturing guys at hoops the gym, and Ron Artest being so psychotic, got so frustrated he broke Michael’s ribs delaying the come back a couple months. And ultimately setting him back. Three years of atrophy, not playing, a lot of weight gain ... took it’s toll.

It’s more difficult to not play and not stay in shape and come back then it is just to maintain your body at a high athletic level and continue to play. That’s why when LeBron stands say he took two and then three years off of rest like he was in a frozen block of ice like Captain America, it’s utterly stupid.

In 2001-2002 he was 38.5 and 39 years old.

In 2002 - 2003 he was 39.5 and 40 years old.

With a bad knee. Age and revolution around the sun in terms of age dictates how the body recovers as opposed to vague arbitrary generalities and theories of “NBA mileage”.

Michael also played the vast majority of his career in a more physical NBA where it was more sport-based and less entertainment based with the rules set to allow freedom of movement and high scores for the casual viewer. So the level of physicality in the minutes he played was more impactful on his body long-term.

The level of physicality and difficult scoring climate, from the Pistons and the Knicks in the late 80s and early 90s. And more so the entire league in the late grind it out 90s through the early 2000’s makes it damn near an entirely different sport than the pace / space and freedom of no touch movement, no rim enforcers, PFs, or rim protection from centers we see now.

Lanes were congested. Minimal space and if you got to the rim you had to be brave and fearless.

After getting off to a slow start, the 2002 wizards dramatically improved. All due to Jordan. Because before he injured his knee against the Kings right before All-Star break, they were on a long winning streak. Beating many of the top teams in the league and especially in the Eastern conference. They were well on their way to a high 40, low 50 win pace. Even as it stands Jordan dramatically improved in essence the same crappy roster from the year before.

In his last 20 games up to the injury he averaged 27.5 - 6.4 - 5.2 - 1.3 - 0.5 on 44%

In his last 10 games up to the injury he averaged 29.7 - 6.6 - 6.1 - 1.2 - 0.3 on 47%

In the 46 games that Jordan played in 01/02 before the injury, he averaged

25.1 - 6.2 - 5.3 - 1.5 - 0.5 on 42%

Only other player doing it at the time of the season was this guy ... in his prime 23 year old cover band derivative Jordan, in young Frobe Bryant:

03ED55B6-7C73-44F4-A01B-E774EE2B76C3.png

Take note, that’s 39 year old Floor Jordan. In full on Yoda mode.

His sidekick, rookie RIP Hamilton missed 5 weeks in that time due to a groin injury but when he was on the floor with Mike the Wizards were 15-1 in the last 16 games that both Jordan and Rip Hamilton played together up to and including the game where Mike officially injured his knee. 26-20 before Mike’s knee injury. A 56% win percentage

5965D0BD-CB3F-46CD-BD4C-20110A25388B.jpeg

BTW, only other player to average 25/6/5 to end the 2002 season, was in his prime Tracy McGrady.

No, Michael doesn’t mention it because he was screwed.
The whole reason he came back to play for the wizards, while simultaneously donating his entire player salary to the 9/11 relief fund. Was because he knew him coming back on the floor would sell tickets and would raise the value of the organization exponentially.
Abe Pollin, the owner, promised Michael a part ownership of the franchise.

All he did was use Mike to sell tickets and merchandise, then fired Mike after those two seasons.

That’s truly why Michael came back and played for the wizards, and that’s also why he doesn’t mention it.

He got scammed by a grimy Abe Pollin. You’re being ignorant.

Please tell me where I said it was MJ’s fault? My issue is that the red flags about the Wizards have been there since they won a title in the 1970s. Maybe look at the franchise history before making assumptions. Again, read about MJ’s final season there, he was not happy. You’re being ignorant.

The last time I checked, basketball was a team sport.

The Wizards are an awful franchise that has literally not made the ECF in 40+ years at this point. They are a toxic organization that has enabled terrible behavior in awful human beings like Gilbert Arenas. Also, they have let Ernie Grunfeld essentially wipe his rear with the franchise for years. Not to mention even before all of this, they historically have mismanaged contracts and players (I.e. Chris Webber grade) and made horrible draft choices like drafting Kaine Brown #1 (over Pau) and Jan Vesley (over Kawhi and Klay Thompson, among many others). This is the same franchise who, in 1996, traded away a top 10-11 pick in a stacked class for an aging, 33 year old Mark Price. This was in one of the best draft classes ever where they could have drafted a Steve Nash (or even Kobe) instead..

MJ going to the Wizards in 2001 is like Tom Brady signing with the Browns or Bengals in 2020. Nobody, not even MJ, can save this organization since decades of careless ownership has essentially driven it into the ground.

The Washington Wizards are an absolute disgrace of a professional sports franchise and it’a incredible the GOAT basketball player spent his twilight there.
I agree, the organization was a rear end. My opinion was on the disdain people have for Jordan’s last playing days.

-the Eastern Conference was tough in 2001-2003

False. Part of the reason Jordan felt compelled to come back because the East at the time was weak and he felt his presence could help the Wizards made the playoffs.

the East was Subpar in the early 2000’s. The Nets who made the finals during Jordan’s wizard years won 52 and 49 games respectively as the East representative.

I agree, the organization was a rear end. My opinion was on the disdain people have for Jordan’s last playing days.

That’s the thing though, Wizards MJ could not compete with Bulls MJ, however, the Bulls organization (during MJ’s time there) was run FAR better than the Wizards organization.

Like I said, the Wizards are a terrible organization, to this day this is true. Poor Beal is getting driven into the ground there, just like anyone with talent who played there in the past few decades-MJ, Wall, etc. etc. At least Rip got out of there in time. The culture and ownership there is simply toxic to its core. Hell, even DC native KD even pointed how weak the fan base was when he signed to GSW.

People tend to forget that Jordan came back because he wanted ownership in that franchise, but they did him dirty.

Lets face it, Jordan’s Wizard years weren’t bad like a lot of people try to make it seem. He was way past his prime and he still held his own with the younger players:

Yeah my earlier point was that the MJ Wizards years weren’t bad because of MJ, they were bad in spite of him.

MJ did what he could, but even the best sailor/captain in the history of the world can’t save a sinking ship.

He might have been great but signing with that specific organization was clearly a mistake. He thought he could leverage that into ownership but, if he just wanted to play basketball, he could’ve gone to literally any of the other teams tbh.

Sad, since we could’ve seen an MJ/Shaq/Kobe Lakers win multiple titles... Oh well.

People tend to forget that Jordan came back because he wanted ownership in that franchise, but they did him dirty.

Lets face it, Jordan’s Wizard years weren’t bad like a lot of people try to make it seem. He was way past his prime and he still held his own with the younger players:

I made a huge post on exactly that

That was one of the weakest drafts I’ve ever seen. I don’t think anyone will make the HOF from that draft except Tony Parker and Pau. Maybe Z-Bo or Gilbert makes it.

False. Part of the reason Jordan felt compelled to come back because the East at the time was weak and he felt his presence could help the Wizards made the playoffs.

the East was Subpar in the early 2000’s. The Nets who made the finals during Jordan’s wizard years won 52 and 49 games respectively as the East representative.
Actually that attests to the scrappiness of the conference. West had more talent and the East was a hodgepodge of scrappy teams unable to create much separation. The conference was more competitive than what we’ve seen the last 10 years.

Actually that attests to the scrappiness of the conference. West had more talent and the East was a hodgepodge of scrappy teams unable to create much separation. The conference was more competitive than what we’ve seen the last 10 years.

I stand corrected.

You know what’s crazy to me is that the West in my opinion started to become more dominant when Shaq went West in 1996. 2 years later you had four 60 win teams (3 in the West). Chicago gets blown up and as you said the separation between teams in the East became next to none. Detroit wins in ‘04, Cleveland starts to ascend, Shaq goes back East and finally we start to see some separation.
M

Must’ve been weird seeing the GOAT only play for a garbage team and franchise.

I still can’t believe they had the #1 pick in 2001 and drafted Kwame Brown over Pau :sick:
Everyone at the time wanted Kwame. It’s revisionist history that it’s a bad pick. Happens all the time. Same thing with his Adam Morrison pick.

Back
Top Bottom