Brett Favre retired? Maybe not. Favre seeking trade

Here's another from today from PFT:

COOK SHOPPING OF FAVRE CONFIRMED

In response to Sam Farmer's recent report for the Los Angeles Times that agent Bus Cook is quietly talking to other teams about a possible trade for retired quarterback Brett Favre, a league source tells us that Cook definitely had been doing this.

Cook's motives remain unclear. It's possible that he wants to line up a new option for Brett and then present it to him in order to see whether he bites. Or maybe this Cook's (or Favre's) way of keeping Favre's name in circulation.

For the record, Cook has said that the reports of such discussions are "absolutely false." Also for the record, Favre says that he's not coming back.

The bottom line here could be that Cook thinks that Favre really isn't done, regardless of the words emanating from his mouth. Remember this - it's Cook who said that he thinks Favre felt unwanted by the Packers.[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)] [/color] And what non-family member knows Favre better than the guy who has represented Favre since he entered the league in 1991?

RyGuy45:
Here's another from today from PFT:

Cook thinks that Favre really isn't done, regardless of the words emanating from his mouth

And what non-family member knows Favre better than the guy who has represented Favre since he entered the league in 1991?

Who knows Farvevrv better than Brett? His agent's overstepping his boundaries, in my opinion, and dragging Brett's name through the mud inhis pursuit to prove that he's right about Brett not being done.

Basically, he's shopping Brett around behind Brett's back, because he doesn't buy that Brett's really done, even though Brett said that hedoesn't miss the training, staying in game-day shape, etc., etc., etc.

^ Which is why i originally said we need to be real here and there probably is a decent chance Cook WAS shopping Favre around. The main issue to me was notwhether Favre was indeed going to come back for another year, rather it was his agent just shopping him. And as we now have learned, more than once source issaying Cook indeed did that. Hell between that as well as his agent's comments the day he retired you would think Brett would either put a leash on the guyor get rid of him.

And I also am in the camp that would never be surprised to hear him coming back to play somewhere.

^ And I definitely agree with you about his agent now; I mean, it's pretty crystal clear. Either his agent is shopping him around... OORRR... a bunch ofrandom sources secretly met and decided that they could convince the public that his agent was shopping him around if they really stayed in sync with theirstories.
laugh.gif

But I would be surprised if he were to ever take another NFL snap.

Originally Posted by TBONE32

He's coming back. I somewhat know someone in the Packers organization. They said that he was just doing it because of Moss. You'll see # Four play again.
I don't think we'll see him again.

Last Edited By: TBONE32 04/06/08 12:06 PM. Edited 1 time.

roll.gif
roll.gif

^ From who? Him? His agent? People that talked to him or his agent? People who claimed to talk to him or his agent? People who talked to someone who apparentlytalked to someone related to someone sort of connected to someone who's married to the agent's second cousin?

^
laugh.gif

It was a direct quote from him.. Someting along the lines of if aaron rogers gets hurt he wouldnt mind coming back

WOULD FAVRE UNRETIRE? "RIGHT NOW NO"

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 8, 2008, 6:04 p.m.
ProFootballTalk.com

Al Jones, the sports writer for the Biloxi, Mississippi Sun-Herald who has long had a close relationship with Brett Favre, has some quotes today from Favre in which the retired Packers quarterback doesn't completely rule out playing again.

"I guess the best response would be, right now no," Favre said about whether he would consider coming back.

But Favre also said that, if Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers suffered an injury and the team asked him to return, "It would be hard to pass up, I guess. … It's only speculating. I think the world of that team. I had a lot of fun, not only this year, but over my career. Those guys I played with this past year, a lot of young guys, a lot of fun. … And if that opportunity presented itself and they did call, it would be tempting. And I very well could be enticed to do it."

Favre has said that it's the preparation to play - not showing up and playing on Sundays - that wears him down, and that even if he were tempted to come back, he might decline to do it because, "You just can't show up and play."

Some of the speculation that Favre could return to the NFL has centered on the fact that he has not yet filed his retirement paperwork. But Favre told Jones that he didn't even know it was necessary to file any paperwork to make his retirement official.

And he also said that he learned from his agent, Bus Cook, that even if he were to send in his paperwork, "You can change your mind the next day."

henz0:
laugh.gif

It was a direct quote from him.. Someting along the lines of if aaron rogers gets hurt he wouldnt mind coming back
"If Rogers was hurt, it would be hard to watch that. I could be tempted" = "I wouldn't mind coming back"?

This might just be a matter of opinions, because if you think that what he said means 'I wouldn't mind coming back', then we just disagree. I tookwhat he said along with what he said before, and still see no reason to believe he's coming back.

He said that he could be tempted, not that he wants to return.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

henz0:
laugh.gif

"If Rogers was hurt, it would be hard to watch that. I could be tempted" = "I wouldn't mind coming back"?

This might just be a matter of opinions, because if you think that what he said means 'I wouldn't mind coming back', then we just disagree. I took what he said along with what he said before, and still see no reason to believe he's coming back.

Read between the lines a little bit though. Why would he say anything to that effect if he had no intentions of it being recieved that way. That wouldjust be foolish on his part. If you are 100% content with being retired you dont make ambiguous comments hinting at coming back point blank.

Does it mean he is coming back? No. Does it make you scratch your head when he is surrounded by rumors that his retirement is a sham and your career has becomesynonymous with not knowing when to quit? YES.

Shoot even MJ said there was a 99.9% chance he wasnt coming back and everyone knew that meant there is a 100% chance I am coming back.
laugh.gif

The haters need to fall back. Favre is on the verge of pulling an MJ... and how many people were complaining about that? Oh wait you all ride him like he'syour Dad. If your team is one of the ones we trampled en route to the NFC championship, sorry about that.

ONE reporter said he HEARD Bus Cook was RESEARCHING whether there was interest from other teams. That's a lot of "if's".

Favre going to another team would split Wisconsin in two. It won't happen.

Then he goes and says stuff like this
"I guess the best response would be, right now no," Favre said about whether he would consider coming back.
eyes.gif
Favre needs to just stop talking to the media. He's sobad at interviews.

henz0:
laugh.gif

me:

This might just be a matter of opinions, because if you think that what he said means 'I wouldn't mind coming back', then we just disagree. I took what he said along with what he said before, and still see no reason to believe he's coming back.

theone2401:
Read between the lines a little bit though. Why would he say anything to that effect if he had no intentions of it being recieved that way. That would just be foolish on his part. If you are 100% content with being retired you dont make ambiguous comments hinting at coming back point blank.

Does it mean he is coming back? No. Does it make you scratch your head when he is surrounded by rumors that his retirement is a sham and your career has become synonymous with not knowing when to quit? YES.

Shoot even MJ said there was a 99.9% chance he wasnt coming back and everyone knew that meant there is a 100% chance I am coming back.
laugh.gif

So because he went through the retirement speech, that means that from now on, he should only say things like "I love not not playingfootball. It's the most wonderful thing ever. I hate the NFL. I hate every NFL team. I am probably never going to touch a football again. Ever."?

He's not allowed to think to himself, "Damn, did I make the right decision?"

Heck, I do that a half dozen times a day.
laugh.gif

I think there are many that already hated him before, and they're reading into things too much so that you can they can use his 'return' againsthim, that way even if he never, EVER comes back, they can still say 'But he SAID he would, so I hate him even more for that!', even though he neversaid he would come back.

The haters need to fall back. Favre is on the verge of pulling an MJ... and how many people were complaining about that? Oh wait you all ride him like he's your Dad. If your team is one of the ones we trampled en route to the NFC championship, sorry about that.
I dont recall MJ retiring and then returning a few months later (if Favre were to do that I mean).

ONE reporter said he HEARD Bus Cook was RESEARCHING whether there was interest from other teams. That's a lot of "if's".
It's already been established it's more than just one reporter who has confirmed Buss has been asking around.

Personally I hope he does come back, we'll be able to do this all over again next year, Might as well make it five years in a row.

^ Right, but Buss =/= Favre.

Like I said, I think there are many that already hated him before, and they're reading into things too much so that you can they can use his'return' against him, that way even if he never, EVER comes back, they can still say 'But he SAID he would, so I hate him even more for that!',even though he never said he would come back.

^ He must have doodoo'ed on ur fav team throughout his career huh?

Ill be surprised if he comes back but id welcome it with open arms. Even thoigh im kinda ready for the Arog era to begin.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

henz0:
laugh.gif

me:

theone2401:
Read between the lines a little bit though. Why would he say anything to that effect if he had no intentions of it being recieved that way. That would just be foolish on his part. If you are 100% content with being retired you dont make ambiguous comments hinting at coming back point blank.

Does it mean he is coming back? No. Does it make you scratch your head when he is surrounded by rumors that his retirement is a sham and your career has become synonymous with not knowing when to quit? YES.

laugh.gif

So because he went through the retirement speech, that means that from now on, he should only say things like "I love not not playing football. It's the most wonderful thing ever. I hate the NFL. I hate every NFL team. I am probably never going to touch a football again. Ever."?

He's not allowed to think to himself, "Damn, did I make the right decision?"

Heck, I do that a half dozen times a day.
laugh.gif

I think there are many that already hated him before, and they're reading into things too much so that you can they can use his 'return' against him, that way even if he never, EVER comes back, they can still say 'But he SAID he would, so I hate him even more for that!', even though he never said he would come back.
No, not at all. you missed my point entirely. I said if you say things like he said and you dont expect SOME people to interpret them as "Iwant to come back" then he is foolish.

You make it seem like his comments arent ambiguous AT ALL when they clearly are to a certain extent. There are plenty of players who have retired and they say"I am done, I will never play again" and guess what? they usually dont. You know what type of players come out of retirement? Players who say thingslike "Yea maybe id come back"

I dont hate the man and couldnt care less what he does but his comments make me scratch my head and I think they should make anyone who knows him, his history,and his situation.

^ Oh, I definitely agree that there is some level of ambiguity to his comments, no doubt. On top of his ambiguous comments, we have the fact that he stillhasn't submitted his retirement papers.

No, I'm not saying people are ******ed for thinking he might come back; I'm saying people that say 'I hate you. Go away!' had to have hated himto begin with, because they're using this as fodder to fuel more hate for him coming back... when he hasn't even done that yet.

Taking his ambiguous comments and taking the fact the fact that he hasn't submitted his retirement papers and taking his agent shopping him around...taking all of those things and saying, 'Yep! He's coming back! I told you all!' is presumptuous and premature.

Taking his ambiguous comments and taking the fact the fact that he hasn't submitted his retirement papers and taking his agent shopping him around...taking all of those things and saying, 'Yep! He's coming back! I told you all! Freaking crap, I hate him so much more now. GO AWAY!' ishaterifically presumptuous and premature.
laugh.gif

Now... taking his ambiguous comments and taking the fact the fact that he hasn't submitted his retirement papers and taking his agent shopping himaround... taking all of those things and saying, 'Well heck yeah there's a possibility he's going to play again!', I never said anythingagainst that line of reasoning. Heck, I wouldn't be completely shocked MYSELF if he played again. I don't personally THINK he will play again (becauseI think he meant it when he retired), but I wouldn't be surprised he did (because he hasn't submitted his papers, his agent was shopping him around,and he said he could be tempted).

I'm just not going to take a 'maybe' and act like it's a definite.

I'm not going to take 'Maybe he will play again' and act like it's 'Yep, he's back!'

You know?

Back
Top Bottom