Bucket List Trip. Vol. Egypt

I always thought Egypt still had its issues even for going on vacation. Was there any signs of just things that seemed sketchy? I want to go there to just to see a damn Pyramid. It seems like a photographers dream to go shoot there. Looks like a lot of fun.

I don't think there have been any issues in Egypt for a while now. Our tour guides told us that when people protest they are planned now. There was a military presance near the museum in Cairo when I went but during the 14 days I was there I didn't hear of any protests or issues at all

I always thought Egypt still had its issues even for going on vacation. Was there any signs of just things that seemed sketchy? I want to go there to just to see a damn Pyramid. It seems like a photographers dream to go shoot there. Looks like a lot of fun.

Honestly I felt safe everywhere I went. My hotel was near the pyramids so there was the occasional local seller that tried to get us to buy from them. We walked around on our own and people kept asking us if we wanted a taxi lol. That was the only thing, other than that I had no safety issues what so ever.

We paid about 930. Each. Includes round trip flight/hotel and travel insurance. Also includes our pyramid view room. Thats for 5 nights/6 days in total. We stayed at the Guardian Guest House

We booked through expedia and when I saw that price I jumped in it. Make sure u book a few months in advanced and always look around at different times of the year to go. We went in October.

We paid about $100 each extra for round trip flights from Cairo to Luxor.
also booked tours of Cairo and luxor. That was an additional $150 each I believe for 3 full days of touring. That included a driver and egytpologist guide.

The USD goes far out there. We got $7 Egyptian pounds for every US dollar.

Man! $930 for 5 nights and 6 days and your hotel is near a damn pyramid! I think I am going to book this trip. That seems like a deal.

I know you mentioned food but what does it taste like? Spicy? I went to Iceland and had some goat stew and whale and found that my stomach can't take foreign food too well, and I am asian! I don't get why it happens but I don't want to sit on a toilet for hours rather than going out and about.

So I am doing more research. I guess Cairo is well out away from beaches. I found an area called Sharm El Sheikh that seems to be the beach tourist spot. Anyone recommend that area? Too touristy?

beach-savoy-luxury-5-stars-accommodation-sharm-el-sheikh.jpg
Sharm+el+Sheikh+Ras+Umm+Sid+Beach.jpg

Man! $930 for 5 nights and 6 days and your hotel is near a damn pyramid! I think I am going to book this trip. That seems like a deal.

I know you mentioned food but what does it taste like? Spicy? I went to Iceland and had some goat stew and whale and found that my stomach can't take foreign food too well, and I am asian! I don't get why it happens but I don't want to sit on a toilet for hours rather than going out and about.

Yea bro I will never forget waking up the first morning and just staring at the pyramids. This was the view from my room windowView media item 1470611
As far as the food.

It was a little spicy but nothing crazy. Koshery is a dish made with rice, macaroni, let tils, peas, I believe garlic/onions and a spicy sauce that you add to it.View media item 1470636
This is the egyptian bread that they sell all over. We got it straight out the oven along with a cheese spread.

I'd say look around and if you can get it for a great price like I did go for it! You won't regret it.

So I am doing more research. I guess Cairo is well out away from beaches. I found an area called Sharm El Sheikh that seems to be the beach tourist spot. Anyone recommend that area? Too touristy?

beach-savoy-luxury-5-stars-accommodation-sharm-el-sheikh.jpg
Sharm+el+Sheikh+Ras+Umm+Sid+Beach.jpg

Check out Hurghada....not sure what prices are like from the states but I paid under 2k for 2 people for flights, all inclusive 5 star hotel and did all of the excursions for 14 days....we flew out from Europe tho
View media item 1470679

I've always wanted to go to Egypt but my daughter's mother is skeptical just like when I bring up Morocco because she thinks her being a blonde white woman is not a good idea going to those countries

I've always wanted to go to Egypt but my daughter's mother is skeptical just like when I bring up Morocco because she thinks her being a blonde white woman is not a good idea going to those countries
I've heard people say similar things but i honestly dont think you will have anny issues. Most of our days were spent with our tour guide anyway. We ventured out on our own once and had no issues. Just a few beggars and people offerimg us taxi/camel rides. Dont let it stop you from enjoying yourself

@thakidfrombk

@cubanref

I am headed to Egypt in October and I had a couple questions...

1. I also have a hotel with a pyramid view (Le Meridien). I was wondering what means of transportation did you use to get to Old Cairo? My friend who is from Egypt told me she uses UBER, but I was just wondering if Old Cairo is in walking distance. 

2. Trip to Luxor... who did you book with? I heard Memphis Tour was pretty good. 

Any other insight would be appreciated. 

@thakidfrombk

@cubanref

1. I also have a hotel with a pyramid view (Le Meridien). I was wondering what means of transportation did you use to get to Old Cairo? My friend who is from Egypt told me she uses UBER, but I was just wondering if Old Cairo is in walking distance. 

2. Trip to Luxor... who did you book with? I heard Memphis Tour was pretty good. 

For getting around in Cairo we used the driver provided by our hotel.

We used Aladain tours for both Luxor and Cairo. We did a 2 day tour of Cairo and a 1 day tour of luxor.I found them to have the best rates compared to the other tour sites.
You can check them out here: http://www.nefertitihotel.com/tours/alltours.htm

If you havent already booked your ticket from cairo to luxor theres a trick to getting a cheaper price. You have to use the Egyptian rates on the site. If you change it to US they will charge you almost double price. Google it it will tell you how to do it on tripadvisor i believe.

Also if you have any current or old student ID take it with you. My girl was able to save about 50% on all the entrance fees by showing her student id.

We used Aladain tours for both Luxor and Cairo. We did a 2 day tour of Cairo and a 1 day tour of luxor.I found them to have the best rates compared to the other tour sites.

If you havent already booked your ticket from cairo to luxor theres a trick to getting a cheaper price. You have to use the Egyptian rates on the site. If you change it to US they will charge you almost double price. Google it it will tell you how to do it on tripadvisor i believe.

Also if you have any current or old student ID take it with you. My girl was able to save about 50% on all the entrance fees by showing her student id.

^^
I've visited over 35 countries and have been putting off Egypt for security reasons. But I really would like to cross it out my list, this is also on the top of my Bucket List to visit the pyramids.

Could you elaborate on getting around in Cairo, is it all taxis? Any Mass Trans system?

How was the sense of security? With all this stuff happening with ISIS and the Egypt flight not too long ago, I figured it'd be best to put it off.

Opted to go to China, Thailand, and Cuba this year. I would really like to book it for 2017 and fulfill my dream. Those pictures are amazing.

^^
I've visited over 35 countries and have been putting off Egypt for security reasons. But I really would like to cross it out my list, this is also on the top of my Bucket List to visit the pyramids.

Could you elaborate on getting around in Cairo, is it all taxis? Any Mass Trans system?

How was the sense of security? With all this stuff happening with ISIS and the Egypt flight not too long ago, I figured it'd be best to put it off.

Opted to go to China, Thailand, and Cuba this year. I would really like to book it for 2017 and fulfill my dream. Those pictures are amazing.

There's no mass transit. Only horses, camels, donkey, atvs or taxi. I stayed in the Guardian Guest House hotel. The staff was great. made us feel safe. Treated us like family. They also had a lot of great reviews thats on tripadvisor.

I def want to do Cuba. I did China (Shanghai and Beijing) last year.

This year in April i did India. I have London and Germany booked for the end of this month and Thailand booked for January.

Last edited:
How did you go about setting up the Cuba trip?

Im going to Cancun, Tulum, and Merida, and then flying out to Havana for 3 days. I booked an AirBnb and asked the lady to vouch for us in case we need documentation for one of the 12 rules to go for American Citizens. So we will fly to Cancun from the US. Then fly from Cancun to Havana and back. I've had a few friends do it from Canada or Mexico, but I've heard they really have relaxed on the rules and arent that strict anymore.

Jet Blue is supposed to be the 1st American Airline to fly to Cuba next month in September. They have some deals for $99, but Havana isn't a route yet.

Im going to Cancun, Tulum, and Merida, and then flying out to Havana for 3 days. I booked an AirBnb and asked the lady to vouch for us in case we need documentation for one of the 12 rules to go for American Citizens. So we will fly to Cancun from the US. Then fly from Cancun to Havana and back. I've had a few friends do it from Canada or Mexico, but I've heard they really have relaxed on the rules and arent that strict anymore.

Jet Blue is supposed to be the 1st American Airline to fly to Cuba next month in September. They have some deals for $99, but Havana isn't a route yet.

Thanks for the info. Im def going to try and do either Cuba or Greece next year.

Let me know how it goes

@thakidfrombk

@cubanref

Thank you very much for the info

Pics don't do the pyramids justice. Awesome trip man. I remember climbing just a few of the blocks that make up the great pyramids of Giza and realizing how insane it was build this. It's unimaginable.

One thing I do wish for is for Cairo it really clean up the city. Don't want to offend anyone. I was just shocked how once you leave the pyramid area the city is in ruins.

Pics don't do the pyramids justice. Awesome trip man. I remember climbing just a few of the blocks that make up the great pyramids of Giza and realizing how insane it was build this. It's unimaginable.

One thing I do wish for is for Cairo it really clean up the city. Don't want to offend anyone. I was just shocked how once you leave the pyramid area the city is in ruins.

Yea man it was def hard to see. Makes you appreciate what you have even more.

I was in the motherland in May, wish I could go again

Always have the most fun in Egypt especially Weddings, Clubbing and getting LIT

Back
Top Bottom