Burn Very SLOWEY in Hell Ron Gardenhire! Pulls pitcher amidst no-hitter.

wow, that's what i hate about baseball now. money that they have invested in these guys is what matters most. they forgot that these guys are out here to entertain us,, THE FANS .

!%%% is disgusting, i woulda flipped had it been my team. gardenhire's a moron for this one
smh.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Gardenhire is one of the reason why the Twins are constantly competitive with a small market payroll.  He has a philosophy and he stuck to it.

While I understand this, he's had great players on his rosters when those divisions have been won. It's not like what the Padres are doing this year with only one player that could be considered great. I think he gets too much credit... just me though. Game to game he makes some boneheaded decisions that a lot of you don't know about.

Let me just say this: Taking Kevin Slowey out amidst a no-hitter, up 4-0, cannot be justified. Period.

The only way I'll give this some sort of cushion is if Slowey complained about an injury or something.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Gardenhire is one of the reason why the Twins are constantly competitive with a small market payroll.  He has a philosophy and he stuck to it.

While I understand this, he's had great players on his rosters when those divisions have been won. It's not like what the Padres are doing this year with only one player that could be considered great. I think he gets too much credit... just me though. Game to game he makes some boneheaded decisions that a lot of you don't know about.

Let me just say this: Taking Kevin Slowey out amidst a no-hitter, up 4-0, cannot be justified. Period.

The only way I'll give this some sort of cushion is if Slowey complained about an injury or something.

Gardenhire is a fool for this, chances are he's not going to get it, when that happens take him out
smh.gif

Gardenhire is a fool for this, chances are he's not going to get it, when that happens take him out
smh.gif

I don't blame him at all that's a young kid who's part of the teams future and you'll need him down the stretch to make the playoffs. He had elbow tendinitis that kept him out of his last fight and he threw 106 pitches.

I don't blame him at all that's a young kid who's part of the teams future and you'll need him down the stretch to make the playoffs. He had elbow tendinitis that kept him out of his last fight and he threw 106 pitches.

That's what Gardy does. I've said it before, but he used to pull Johan alllll the time when there was a shutout going or Johan was having a great game. Lost more than a few of those games. He is ultra conservative with his pitchers.

That's what Gardy does. I've said it before, but he used to pull Johan alllll the time when there was a shutout going or Johan was having a great game. Lost more than a few of those games. He is ultra conservative with his pitchers.

I'm no baseball expert but it just goes to show what these current dudes who run baseball teams think of pitch counts. They obsess over it, and there obviously are reasons.

Slowey is coming off an injury so this is a little different but yes, as a fan I chuckle seeing a manager say that after the pitcher has thrown 7 no hit innings (and 106 pitches) he is "not going to let him" throw any more and go for the gold. Again it just shows how the system works now and they obviously have their reasons. What do we know?

It also is part of the reason dudes like Blyleven and Nolan Ryan want to blow up the entire system and can't sleep at night the way teams act.

I'm no baseball expert but it just goes to show what these current dudes who run baseball teams think of pitch counts. They obsess over it, and there obviously are reasons.

Slowey is coming off an injury so this is a little different but yes, as a fan I chuckle seeing a manager say that after the pitcher has thrown 7 no hit innings (and 106 pitches) he is "not going to let him" throw any more and go for the gold. Again it just shows how the system works now and they obviously have their reasons. What do we know?

It also is part of the reason dudes like Blyleven and Nolan Ryan want to blow up the entire system and can't sleep at night the way teams act.

I personally thought he should have been out there for the 8th. What if he throws 8 pitches in the 8th? Going into the 9th on 115 pitches is not excessive. If he gives up a hit in the 8th, fine, yank him. Heck, Slowey had two weeks off since his last start, his arm probably felt better than it had since spring training.

A decision that won't be talked about is using Rauch to start the 8th. Rauch hasn't thrown well recently. Everyone's rested from Duensing's complete game the previous night, throw your best guys out there to try and get 6 straight outs. Make it Crain and then Capps. Capps gives up a hit in the 9th, oh well. At least Gardy truly gave it his "best" shot for the no-no.

I personally thought he should have been out there for the 8th. What if he throws 8 pitches in the 8th? Going into the 9th on 115 pitches is not excessive. If he gives up a hit in the 8th, fine, yank him. Heck, Slowey had two weeks off since his last start, his arm probably felt better than it had since spring training.

A decision that won't be talked about is using Rauch to start the 8th. Rauch hasn't thrown well recently. Everyone's rested from Duensing's complete game the previous night, throw your best guys out there to try and get 6 straight outs. Make it Crain and then Capps. Capps gives up a hit in the 9th, oh well. At least Gardy truly gave it his "best" shot for the no-no.

Originally Posted by djaman

This is my exact logic. It's two innings. You're responsible for Kevin Slowey's arm, sure, but no one knows how long or how how short those two innings could be.

Maybe if it was 1-0 I could see Gardenhire's reasoning seeing as how Slowey was already a little erratic at that point despite having a no-hitter, but the Twins had a 4-0 lead.

I just don't see any excuse for it. I've never really complained about Gardenhire's "100 pitches and call it a day" philosophy, but this is just despicable in my eyes.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by djaman

This is my exact logic. It's two innings. You're responsible for Kevin Slowey's arm, sure, but no one knows how long or how how short those two innings could be.

Maybe if it was 1-0 I could see Gardenhire's reasoning seeing as how Slowey was already a little erratic at that point despite having a no-hitter, but the Twins had a 4-0 lead.

I just don't see any excuse for it. I've never really complained about Gardenhire's "100 pitches and call it a day" philosophy, but this is just despicable in my eyes.
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom