Buying a car and grad school.

I'll try to keep it to the point and simple so here it goes.
I currently live in southern california in a region called the high desert (apple valley to exact). I don't drive and I catch the bus to my job in my neighboring city of Victorville.

for those who go to vegas by way of the 15, you know you come up the Cajon Pass. 

I have recently got accepted into grad school at Cal Poly Pomona to start in January. Now obviously I want to commute and plan on using my financial aid since my job is part time.

now here's my dilemma:

I plan on either sinking all 4000 on a cash car from someone that's selling theirs or taking 2500-3000 as a down payment and use the remainder for whatever the car needs. I want to get a RELIABLE car with a decent amount of miles since my school is "down the hill" and will be doing so until further notice. My credit score (540s) coupled with my part time income will more than likely pose a problem as far as getting a car off the lot. What would be the best solution in a situation like this?

Cliffs:

-Live in High Desert area of Southern California

-Got into grad school 45 minutes away

-don't drive, need a car for work up here/school down there

-credit score/part time job poses problems for "credit" on car lot

-still try with small dealers or buy a high risk "cash car" from craigslist/other private dealers?

any help would be appreciated! 

Auctions can be a great option like JOrdanDude said if you don't have any specific needs (which you shouldn't if you're looking for a $4000 car.  Craigslist is also another great option.  There are tons of cars around there in Ontario/Fontana/San Bernardino area.  All you really need is something with overdrive that can get you up the Glen Helen & Cajon and you're set.

Originally Posted by JRAdagreat72

Thanks you guys.

keep the suggestions coming!
Ok so the only thing I really require is a bigger sized sedan or small SUV (I'm pretty big and don't want to be cramped on a 90 minute round way trip up that Cajon)

Gas isn't so much an issue as mileage/insurance is but I can get help on both of those.

How are these listings?

http://losangeles.craigsl.../lac/cto/2700047829.html

http://losangeles.craigsl.../lac/cto/2698081400.html
Both look fairly solid.  I like the black one a little better, but given the dust you're going to be encountering in your area I would go for the white one (everything being equal). 

Back
Top Bottom