Buying a used car and trading your old one Vol. advice

ya so i need some input on this topic... i got a 2006 civic ex already paid for and as much as im happy with this car with reliability and miles per gallon im looking for a new whip that will satisfy me... it feels good to have a good car thats already paid for and its also cool to have a reliable car thats good on gas but im all about switching the style up... i only live once...so time to step my game up... im looking at a 2008 benz c300 4matic sedan sport for 20,900 with 40,0000 miles....im planning on going to the dealership with my pops because hes the ultimate hustler who is dumb cheap and knows how to haggle and will do all the talking... our goal is to get the car for 19,000 or less and trade my civic ex in fairly good condition for 9000.... so im looking at 10,000 owing to the dealership if everything comes together and works itself out... i was going to pay for it with amex at the dealership and within that month of owing amex 10000 borrow from my bank 5,000 and pay 5,000 out of my own pocket... so im looking at paying 5,000 out of my pocket and paying monthly fees but this is only if i get the deal i want from the dealership... it remains to be seen... i look forward to tomorrow and pray that the dealership looks me out... so anybody with experience ever do this before? buy a used car at a steal price and trade a car at the same time... seems like it will be tough but the worst case scenario is i wont get the benz and ill keep my civic with no new payments so its a win win situation i guess...any advice would be a good look 

Yes. But I sold my car myself. The dealer will not give a fair price on your car. I would suggest you pass on the Benz though.

$21 grand is a lot for a C class with 40,000 miles.

You should be able to find an E-Class for around the same price or a few grand more.

according to kelly blue book and edmunds my car is worth 12,000... obviously i already know to not expect that money and will be happy with 10,000 or less back...if i can get 9,000 or more than i am in good shape... and i can cop the benz with ease... of course my concerns is the maintenance for the car like oil changes and any other thing that goes wrong with my car and cant forget about the low mileage compared to my civic... all that will cost some money... but like i said in my previous post you only live once so might as well spend money while you got it as long as you are smart with it... i always wanted a benz and was never in a good place to cop one until now and i feel like right now im in a good situation.. like i said though worst case scenario i don't get a benz and keep my civic and don't owe any more payments

Originally Posted by you go boy

according to kelly blue book and edmunds my car is worth 12,000... obviously i already know to not expect that money and will be happy with 10,000 or less back...if i can get 9,000 or more than i am in good shape... and i can cop the benz with ease... of course my concerns is the maintenance for the car like oil changes and any other thing that goes wrong with my car and cant forget about the low mileage compared to my civic... all that will cost some money... but like i said in my previous post you only live once so might as well spend money while you got it as long as you are smart with it... i always wanted a benz and was never in a good place to cop one until now and i feel like right now im in a good situation.. like i said though worst case scenario i don't get a benz and keep my civic and don't owe any more payments
I understand what you are saying, it's just that the E-Class is much better than the C-Class.  Just test drive or even get inside of one to compare. 

A C-Class is like a Honda.  You really might as well keep what you have, maybe upgrade to a loaded Accord instead. 

ok i feel what your saying... but if u can post links on e-class for less that 20,900 in jersey it will be appreciated...because i just can't find those type of steals around me so ya im settling for a c-class for now because thats where my budget is at right about now 
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

Here's an E-Class for $24K. The E-Class is going to be closer to $25K, but just get inside one to compare to the C.  Trust me, you are going to want to save a few more grand and get the E.

http://www.carvision.com/...048d012768bbde2cc069.htm

I own a 2005 CLK, which is basically the E-coupe. When I had to get a loaner C-Class, I couldn't wait to get my car back even though they gave me a 2012 C. The plastics/leather, etc, just aren't the same.

Ive sold cars before so I can shed some light on this.

To maximize your price you have to first sell your car privately assuming thats an option. You will get far more money and have the ability to negotiate better at the dealer.

For my dealership a buyer can really only negotiate one side, the trade or the new auto. So the buyer either got screwed on their trade or a screwed on the price. So In your case we would give 9k in trade and sell the car at full sticker. Or give you 4500 in trade and take 4500 off the price, its all the same.

But if you had no trade in and straight cash from your civic then you can negotiate easier of course. Most cars on the lot you can expect a dealer having 5k in equity they can play with. So depending how long the car has been there, how much maintenance they put in etc etc. But 5k is a solid number. Especially if the car was bought from an auction.

As far as your amex idea most dealers wont allow it becuase they get charged fees for doing it. But I did it one time when we got so deep in negotiating I dropped it on them saying my down payment was on a CC then I turned around and paid off the CC ( just to get air miles)

But if you have to trade your auto one tip is to do it towards the end of the month. Negotiate hard, leave if you have to, trust me they'll call you back in a day or two. Almost all dealers want to close pending sales at the end of the month. It can mean thousands more on their paycheck for selling one more auto.

Lastly do not pay a cent over kelly retail. If anything you should pay at kelly wholesale or NADA retail. Kelly retail prices are always inflated higher than it should be.

Back
Top Bottom