Byron Scott---2007-2008 Coach of the Year

Monday, April 28, 2008
Hornets' big season earns Scott Coach of Year award

ESPN.com news services

As recently as the 2004-05 season, the New Orleans Hornets were an NBA joke with an 18-64 record. It looks like the coach of that team, Byron Scott, will get the last laugh. Before the Hornets take on the Dallas Mavericks in Game 5 of their first-round Western Conference playoff series on Tuesday, Scott will be named the NBA Coach of the Year, according to multiple media reports. ESPN.com confirmed the reports on Monday night. New Orleans sent a media advisory Monday afternoon, saying it planned a "major announcement" at 10 a.m. Tuesday following the Hornets' gameday shootaround. Scott led the New Jersey Nets to consecutive trips to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003 but lasted only 42 games the next season. He was hired in 2004 to guide a New Orleans team in transition. A series of moves over the next few years drew as many jeers as cheers. The Hornets traded All-Star guard Baron Davis, drafted undersized point guard Chris Paul, signed aging veteran Peja Stojakovic to a long-term contract and acquired Chicago Bulls castoff Tyson Chandler. A 16-game improvement in 2005-06 and a run at the playoffs the next season quieted some of the criticism, but few thought Scott would last to see the project through ... until this season. For much of the campaign the Hornets had the best record in the conference and finished with a 56-26 mark, good for a No. 2 seed in the West. That drew a matchup with Dallas, who many thought would expose the young Hornets. But Scott and New Orleans have kept proving the doubters wrong. They go into Game 5 with a surprising 3-1 series lead and their eyes on the Larry O'Brien trophy which goes to the NBA champ. Scott takes home some hardware of his own first.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Stack don't want no problems....

Well deserved, props to Byron.
pimp.gif

Like to see him take over when Phil leaves. Be good for him to come home.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Good lord, will Jerry Sloan ever win a CoY?

No disrespect to Byron, and he deserves it, but why hasn't Sloan gotten one yet?

I would have loved to see Sloan win it. He deserved it more last year, thats for sure.

However, Byron (and CP3) took this team to a new level. I dont think anybody thought they would be the top team in the league for darn near half the season.

Props to him, no question about that.

Well deserved. No one thought they would be the top seed for as long as they were. If you count in the progression of all the players on N.O. you can't gowrong with Scott.

Is there any list that shows how the voting turned out? I'm curious as to where Doc finished.

good for him.

i think he deserves it, but he should treat chris paul to an all expenses paid vacation this summer

Well deserved, props to Byron.
pimp.gif

Yep............... They should have never let him go in Jersey. Damn you Jason "the grass is always greener on the other side" Kidd.

Good choice I guess, I'm glad they didn't pick Doc Rivers, he doesn't deserve it.

Some other coached that could've won: Mo Cheeks(AMAZING job), Jerry Sloan(one of the best coaches of our era)

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Good lord, will Jerry Sloan ever win a CoY?

No disrespect to Byron, and he deserves it, but why hasn't Sloan gotten one yet?
Its shame that he doesn't have one. Its also a shame that phil only has one.

But I am very happy that Bryon won. I love ex lakers doing big things! Go byron.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I heard that when accepting the award, he told Stack not to talk until he won a Coach of the Year Award.

roll.gif
DAMNIT! Thats the only reason I clicked this thread was to say some%$!% just like that, beat me to it KLJ.... shenanigans!

Back
Top Bottom