BYU: Brandon Davies - what did he even do?

a friend of mine has a friend that's a professor at BYU. he says something like 85% of the students at BYU are already married.... only way they can have sex in college.

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

The fap is off-limits too.
laugh.gif

This has me dying over here, and I don't know why.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Wildin', they'd already get me on coffee and language alone. Feel 5% bad for the kid, but he brought it on himself for going to that school in the first place with full knowledge of what the deal was. Two times for turning himself in. Not like he didn't know what he was getting into dealing with the Mormon culture. It's not for me, but I'm not dumb enough for going to a school that follows something I don't believe in.

Wildin', they'd already get me on coffee and language alone. Feel 5% bad for the kid, but he brought it on himself for going to that school in the first place with full knowledge of what the deal was. Two times for turning himself in. Not like he didn't know what he was getting into dealing with the Mormon culture. It's not for me, but I'm not dumb enough for going to a school that follows something I don't believe in.

I'm not one to argue.

But I'm not asking for anybody's approval of the Honor Code or of what the doctrines are for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. From my perspective, I could say that I find a lot of what people do these days as ridiculous, and as "funny" and what not. But, I respect each person's ability to live their life and make whatever choices they want and believe however they may.

If it comes down to it, we can agree to disagree. I respect the viewpoints of others, and I just hope others can respect what I and many other people choose to believe in. You don't have to agree, but at least respect that person's freedom to choose what to believe and how to live.
agree 100 percent.

I'm not one to argue.

But I'm not asking for anybody's approval of the Honor Code or of what the doctrines are for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. From my perspective, I could say that I find a lot of what people do these days as ridiculous, and as "funny" and what not. But, I respect each person's ability to live their life and make whatever choices they want and believe however they may.

If it comes down to it, we can agree to disagree. I respect the viewpoints of others, and I just hope others can respect what I and many other people choose to believe in. You don't have to agree, but at least respect that person's freedom to choose what to believe and how to live.
agree 100 percent.

i think that its just crazy for all this to happen just cause dude smashed his gf, but it is his fault for goin to byu if he wasnt gonna stick to the code. & he even dumber or tellin on himself. wit that bein said i dont really understand the mormon religion. is all that stuff from that south park episode about mormons true tho?

i think that its just crazy for all this to happen just cause dude smashed his gf, but it is his fault for goin to byu if he wasnt gonna stick to the code. & he even dumber or tellin on himself. wit that bein said i dont really understand the mormon religion. is all that stuff from that south park episode about mormons true tho?

I forgot to add: ESPECIALLY if I'm going there to play sports(i.e. #)(&%)# are going to know what I'm up to) and my education depends on my adherence to something like that honor code. It ain't hard to look both ways before crossing the street. It ain't like BYU is the only college in the US...

I forgot to add: ESPECIALLY if I'm going there to play sports(i.e. #)(&%)# are going to know what I'm up to) and my education depends on my adherence to something like that honor code. It ain't hard to look both ways before crossing the street. It ain't like BYU is the only college in the US...

Originally Posted by foreveryoung

I went to the University of Utah for awhile so when I saw the story I kinda laughed. It was, and still is, a pretty heated rivalry
laugh.gif

Sucks for the dude and I disagree with it but its not like the made the rule last week. Thats how its been forever.

I remember awhile back there was a girl on the Real World on MTV who was a student at BYU, but got kicked out of school for either rooming with a male or it could have been drinking. Either way pretty sure its an honor code violation to even say the name Real World
laugh.gif

Its just like any other school though, there are those who break the rules.But if your in an influential position you're definitely going to be punished harder than just a standard student

Dont let the stories fool you tho not all mormons are crazy. Most of em are real nice ppl they just follow some strict religious rules. They have a lot of say on what goes on in the state tho.I think the whole seperation of church and state idea didnt get thru to Utah
laugh.gif
 A lot off ppl complain about it, but never move. Never understood that

Davies is probably better off though as weird as it sounds. Better it happen earlier than his senior year before the draft or graduation or whatever he decides to do
Poor Julie
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by foreveryoung

I went to the University of Utah for awhile so when I saw the story I kinda laughed. It was, and still is, a pretty heated rivalry
laugh.gif

Sucks for the dude and I disagree with it but its not like the made the rule last week. Thats how its been forever.

I remember awhile back there was a girl on the Real World on MTV who was a student at BYU, but got kicked out of school for either rooming with a male or it could have been drinking. Either way pretty sure its an honor code violation to even say the name Real World
laugh.gif

Its just like any other school though, there are those who break the rules.But if your in an influential position you're definitely going to be punished harder than just a standard student

Dont let the stories fool you tho not all mormons are crazy. Most of em are real nice ppl they just follow some strict religious rules. They have a lot of say on what goes on in the state tho.I think the whole seperation of church and state idea didnt get thru to Utah
laugh.gif
 A lot off ppl complain about it, but never move. Never understood that

Davies is probably better off though as weird as it sounds. Better it happen earlier than his senior year before the draft or graduation or whatever he decides to do
Poor Julie
30t6p3b.gif

I'm not one to argue.

Agreed. In HS, like 1/3 of my boys were mormon
laugh.gif
(I guess there is a high population of Mormons in my region). We learned a lot about each other and about ourselves from just talking about their religion, granted we disagreed about pretty much everything.... but respect is the number 1 thing we learned. Mormons are good peeps in my book. Dealing with the missionaries are lulz but I treat em well since most of my buds had to go on their missions and I know they weren't that pumped for it
laugh.gif

I'm not one to argue.

Agreed. In HS, like 1/3 of my boys were mormon
laugh.gif
(I guess there is a high population of Mormons in my region). We learned a lot about each other and about ourselves from just talking about their religion, granted we disagreed about pretty much everything.... but respect is the number 1 thing we learned. Mormons are good peeps in my book. Dealing with the missionaries are lulz but I treat em well since most of my buds had to go on their missions and I know they weren't that pumped for it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Being kicked off the team is fair. But if you're going to do that, you need to kick him out of school at the same time. He didn't break a team rule. He broke the school's code. If the school is taking the time to review his situation, why is he kicked off the team immediately? How are non-athletes who commit the same offense punished? 

This is a really great post that I think most people missed.  Questions I never really thought about.  Can anyone answer these questions?  Dr. Funk?

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Being kicked off the team is fair. But if you're going to do that, you need to kick him out of school at the same time. He didn't break a team rule. He broke the school's code. If the school is taking the time to review his situation, why is he kicked off the team immediately? How are non-athletes who commit the same offense punished? 

This is a really great post that I think most people missed.  Questions I never really thought about.  Can anyone answer these questions?  Dr. Funk?

In thinking about it, it sucks that dude got kicked off the team. However, as soon as he signed w. BYU, he knew he had to abide by the honor code. I don't really feel too bad for the kid. If he had chosen any other school in the country, this is a non-issue. He should just pack his ++!# and go somewhere else to play ball.

In thinking about it, it sucks that dude got kicked off the team. However, as soon as he signed w. BYU, he knew he had to abide by the honor code. I don't really feel too bad for the kid. If he had chosen any other school in the country, this is a non-issue. He should just pack his ++!# and go somewhere else to play ball.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

exactly. dude had offers from gonzaga, cal, zona...so he wasn't forced into this from a "this is my only chance at a scholarship" standpoint. he knew damn well what he was signing up for. i'm sure he's a good kid, but that school is strict as hell, we all know that.

i'm sure premarital sex occurs at BYU, especially with the athletes...but i would think he had to have gotten the girl pregnant to be kicked off. you can't cover that up. you can't hide that. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

exactly. dude had offers from gonzaga, cal, zona...so he wasn't forced into this from a "this is my only chance at a scholarship" standpoint. he knew damn well what he was signing up for. i'm sure he's a good kid, but that school is strict as hell, we all know that.

i'm sure premarital sex occurs at BYU, especially with the athletes...but i would think he had to have gotten the girl pregnant to be kicked off. you can't cover that up. you can't hide that. 

Back
Top Bottom