California HS football discussion vol. Who else is in Nor Cal?

Played high school football in Corona Centennial down in SoCal (4 CIF titles baby). I'm a big fan of the sport.

To the Nor Cal heads, is there any other power up there besides Concord De La Salle? It's actually a valid question.

I'd imagine whomever else De La Salle schedule's that is non-leauge (or at least in years past) where they have to travel is a worthy mention. Usuallythey won't waste their time....

Bishop O'Dowd-Kirk Morrison
Oakland Tech-Marshawn Lynch
James Logan- Roy Williams (Safety)
Fremont High- Tully Banta-Cain
laugh.gif

i know this wasn't the point of the post, but just a few players out of the Bay and I know there's a lot more...

and yeah i think there are powers outside of De La Salle, can't quite remember who.

I just remember watching the CIF State Title games the past season where D1, D2, and D3 schools from north and south played each other. Out of all thematchups, only one Nor Cal team won and it was De La Salle by 3 points (over my high school btw
mad.gif
). Is the talent gap that wide?

Oh and speaking of Oakland Tech, I remember reading about Long Beach Poly trying to schedule a game with them down here. I wonder if that actually happened. Ican't even imagine a combination of Oakland and Long Beach crowds together
laugh.gif

I havent been keeping up since I moved... but when I was in the Bay the powerhouses were:

Oak Grove
St. Francis
Bellarmine
Mitty

Damn, I forgot so many schools but I just cant remember. Anyways, Oak Grove brought out Andre Carter
pimp.gif

My boys always told some good tails about the De La Salle v. Poly games, along with Mater Dei.

I think some south bay schools had some solid programs....

I don't follow it as closely, since I graduated from HS in 2001.

The 2000-2002 squads of De La we're much better than the recent ones, IMO.

yeah..bellarmine and st.francis have good teams, i never really hear about players from there in the pros though....i dunno. i know their head-to-head gamesdraw big crowds, i remember it was in the thousands..

All of the West Catholic teams and a few schools like Pittsburgh and Bishop O'Dowd usually are up their. I like the new State Championship system but Iwish they had a playoff leading up to it.

Originally Posted by WstCoastGotti

I havent been keeping up since I moved... but when I was in the Bay the powerhouses were:

Oak Grove
St. Francis
Bellarmine
Mitty

Damn, I forgot so many schools but I just cant remember. Anyways, Oak Grove brought out Andre Carter
pimp.gif
Yeah, we also had Gibril Wilson.
OG won CCS last year...

Went to Bellarmine, was capitan of our team senior year. We were weak but we beat St Francis, thats what matters. Usually the Bells are pretty good, this yearwe should be top 5 in the state. Also Valley Christian has been very strong the past 6 years and St Francis is always pretty good. Outside of the WCAL, OakGrove, Los Gatos, and Palma are the only 3 public schools that ever do any real damage (in the CCS). Not too sure about the Oakland leagues but thats about itin the San Jose area

I lived in the Walnut Creek/Danville area for awhile and I would have gone to De La, but my family moved back to Michigan. I still follow De La (Gutierrez,Colvin, lil RB Bradley(?)
pimp.gif
) and check their records in the Super 25 andstuff.

My area high school was Monte Vista (Kyle Wright/Drew McAllister are the only big names that I know of recently) and I think they have been pretty good as oflate.

The WCAL always had good competition when i went to Saint Ignatius 3 years ago. The powerhouses were Valley Christian, Bellarmine, Serra sometimes, and Riordansometimes....

I just wish Long Beach Poly starts to become a powerhouse again. Don't get me wrong, they have Juniors that can probably play in college NOW, but latelythey've just been outplayed by Mission Viejo and Mater Dei. They won the CIF last year, but they weren't good enough to be picked to go to State.

All I gotta say is to watch out for my high school, Centennial High in Corona. They went to state last year and played De La Salle, they were down 31-14 at onepoint but managed to come from behind and tie it in the 4th. It's a shame they still lost by 3, but respect earned nonetheless. Hopefully some Nor Calschools actually win next year in the other divisions. So Cal teams have just trounced them since they came up with this north vs. south format.

I live about 5 minutes away from De La Salle, I still find it amazing that De La Salle continues its great play even when they don't have the greatesttalent compared to other top state schools

Back
Top Bottom