CALL TO ACTION in memory of George Floyd

Hi all, the RIP George Floyd thread is doing an amazing job building awareness and shining a light on injustice.

Wanted to make this thread to talk about ways the Niketalk community can help.

Help can come in many forms:
  • Monetary donations
  • Investing time (protesting, community service, etc.)
  • Calling out BS when you hear or see it (educating people)
  • Building awareness on social media
  • Writing to your local politician
  • Sign petitions
  • Etc.
For myself, I wasn't able to get out and protest, but I was able to donated to George Floyd's Gofundme and another fundraiser that distributes directly to NAACP/Equal Justice Fund/Southern Poverty Law Center.

My hope is for Niketalkers to humble/overtly brag about the ways they are helping and post any additional funds (no officer training funds please :lol:)/petitions/etc. that supports social justice! (See above for my "brag")

-------------------------------------

I found this link useful, and it addressed the bullet points I listed: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...tions-resources-justice-petitions/5282539002/

Here's a few links (copied from the link above) to causes you can donate to:
  • Official George Floyd Memorial Fund on gofundme.com
    • Philonise Floyd, George's brother, created the fund to cover funeral and burial expenses, mental and grief counseling, lodging and travel for all court proceedings and to assist the family as they "continue to seek justice for George," according to the description. A portion of these funds will also go to the Estate of George Floyd, which benefits his children and their educational fund.
  • I Run With Maud fundraiser on gofundme.com
  • The NAACP Legal Defense Fund
    • Donations to this legal organization go toward helping "win landmark legal battles, protect voters across the nation, and advance the cause of racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society."
  • Black Lives Matter
    • An organization with the mission statement of bringing justice, freedom and healing to black people across the globe. You can become a "Global Member" by donating $5 to support their campaigns.
  • Communities United Against Police Brutality
    • This Twin Cities-based organization accepts donations via mail or PayPal for "office costs, cop watch equipment, court filing fees and other expenses."

Back
Top Bottom