Calling all Digital SLR users.HELP.

Background: I am looking to transition from a point and shoot canon a590 to a digital SLR. Besides taking a couple of pictures with my friend's canon EOS,I have no experience at all in regards to using an SLR. I am looking into getting either a Canon Rebel XS or a Nikon D60...for you guys who have SLR's.Which one is more sensible for me being that I am a beginner/amateur/newb etc. Thanks in advance.

I really don't no much about Nikon cameras since I've only used Canon, but the XSi is definitely a great transition camera for a beginner. It'sreally easy to use, lightweight and you'll gradually learn to use it so that you can take really awesome pics. It has a great Auto Mode that you can useuntil you feel comfortable enough to use the shooting modes specific to certain circumstances (Night shooting, Portrait, Sports, etc.) There's also aManual Mode that lets you use your own custom settings while shooting, but I guess you'll get into that later.

Here are some pics that I took with my XSi:
http://farm4.static.flick...23720876_c728ac2588_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flick...42076989_4983870426_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flick...93634399_874331d7b1_b.jpg

Hope that helped.

You're looking at the right two cameras. I would go with the Canon XS because personally, I think it's a better camera than the d60 but either camerawill be good investments for you.

Originally Posted by NayokoChan

It has a great Auto Mode that you can use until you feel comfortable enough to use the shooting modes specific to certain circumstances (Night shooting, Portrait, Sports, etc.)

Stick to a point-and-shoot if you're going to use that junk.

relax fam...If your coming in here and do everything else but drop knowledge...re-think your life my friend.

Originally Posted by NVnycNV

relax fam...If your coming in here and do everything else but drop knowledge...re-think your life my friend.
I did "drop knowledge".

If you're going to spend $600+ on a DSLR, don't be the guy that uses automatic settings trying to come off as a real photographer.

Don't waste your money trying to be a photographer if you don't even know how to use the equipment.

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

NVnycNV wrote:
I did "drop knowledge".

If you're going to spend $600+ on a DSLR, don't be the guy that uses automatic settings trying to come off as a real photographer.

Don't waste your money trying to be a photographer if you don't even know how to use the equipment.

However, you are not born knowing how to drive a bicycle and for the most part you learn with training wheels and slowly but surely move away from them.

So how is this any different?

Originally Posted by elboricua 6

NVnycNV wrote:
I did "drop knowledge".

However, you are not born knowing how to drive a bicycle and for the most part you learn with training wheels and slowly but surely move away from them.

I didn't get a professional road bike and then use training wheels either.

You don't learn anything using automatic.

Originally Posted by NayokoChan

It has a great Auto Mode that you can use until you feel comfortable enough to use the shooting modes specific to certain circumstances (Night shooting, Portrait, Sports, etc.)

Stick to a point-and-shoot if you're going to use that junk.
I was only pointing out those modes since he's coming from a P&S camera so of course he won't know how to use the Manual feature yet.The point is that a person can start off using those shooting modes, and then move into Manual.

please dont get a d60, it cant mount prime len's. really not worth the money

elboricua 6 wrote:

NVnycNV wrote:
I did "drop knowledge".

I learn how to drive automatic before I jumped to manual!!!!

N by no means are those professional camera's ... everyone that I have spoken, agree these are entry level cameras.

But enough, I know what you mean. If you going to buy it mess with the manual from the get go - I know I know!

When I buy one I'll probably follow your suggestion - after all is not like you can't delete un-wanted pics!

go with the xs
xsi are more expensive and you wouldnt know what to do with all the extra features, the xs and xsi are nearly identical except for the MP focal points and fps

but I recommend finding an xti, that product has been discontinued and you can find them for real cheap but you have to look hard

elboricua 6 wrote:

NVnycNV wrote:
I did "drop knowledge".

I learn how to drive automatic before I jumped to manual!!!!

N by no means are those professional camera's ... everyone that I have spoken, agree these are entry level cameras.

But enough, I know what you mean. If you going to buy it mess with the manual from the get go - I know I know!

When I buy one I'll probably follow your suggestion - after all is not like you can't delete un-wanted pics!

Exactly.

When I wanted to get more serious into photography, I took a class and got a Digital Rebel XT.

Not ONCE did I use an automatic setting, just kept it on manual and kept learning how to use the camera.

Now I'm up to a 40D and take semi-professional level pictures.

I'm 100% positive that I wouldn't be where I am now with photography if I used automatic settings.

That's not really correct - it can take the lenses (the D40 and D40x have exactly the same problem and I used a 50mm 1970's Nikon lens on mine) butthey are completely manual - the older ones won't meter or anything - the newer ones will meter but not autofocus.

Exactly.

When I wanted to get more serious into photography, I took a class and got a Digital Rebel XT.

Not ONCE did I use an automatic setting, just kept it on manual and kept learning how to use the camera.

I'm 100% positive that I wouldn't be where I am now with photography if I used automatic settings.
Where did you take the class?

How long was it?

How much do they actually teach?

Settings like FTS - ISO - Etc are to me like Russian's that don't speak english!

Don't pay more the D60. Just get a D40...if you're a beginner, it's an amazing camera. As a beginner, you won't see the difference between ad60 and a d40.

Originally Posted by kdwallace

That's not really correct - it can take the lenses (the D40 and D40x have exactly the same problem and I used a 50mm 1970's Nikon lens on mine) but they are completely manual - the older ones won't meter or anything - the newer ones will meter but not autofocus.
Also, there's a new 50mm AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G out now that will autofocus on the D40/D40x/D60.

^ that's actually a good point. The difference between the D40 and the D60 isn't actually too much - and for some things the D40 is actually better. Ithink you'd struggle to get a D40 now but you can get great deals on a D40x - the only real difference between those 2 is the number of pixels - the xhaving more obviously.

Exactly.

Where did you take the class?

How long was it?

How much do they actually teach?

Settings like FTS - ISO - Etc are to me like Russian's that don't speak english!
Try a local CC, most offer intro photography classes.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Originally Posted by kdwallace

That's not really correct - it can take the lenses (the D40 and D40x have exactly the same problem and I used a 50mm 1970's Nikon lens on mine) but they are completely manual - the older ones won't meter or anything - the newer ones will meter but not autofocus.
Also, there's a new 50mm AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G out now that will autofocus on the D40/D40x/D60.

really.. i didn't know about that.. thank you for sharing

Personally you need to take a class in intro to photography, it will probably be film but they will teach you how about ISO/metering/shutter speeds/f/#'setc. There's really no point in buying an expensive camera like that and then expecting to figure everything out on your own because you honestly won'tlearn as well as if a professor was teaching you.

Second, I would skip both those cameras, because I was in your same situation and I bought a Rebel XT(great camera), however the biggest problem with it is theimage sensor is not full frame and neither are the two you mentioned, so now in the future I'm going to have to upgrade to a 5D which is about ~$1200ish inorder to get the full potential of the camera.

laugh.gif
@ all the miss information and contradictions in this thread.

I'mma bout to get my 100+ (not a mistype) megapixel !@%%.
1039496223_32afee3090.jpg

(The irony half of you guys wouldn't know thats a camera until I told you doesn't escape me
laugh.gif
)

roll.gif
@ suggestion someone not getting paid to take photographs or paid for their photographs buy a full frame DSLR.

I would suggest something but I don't really want to even be considered among most of these suggestions.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom