Calling all Law School Students of NT...

well, since all you law school savvies are in here....i'm going to court next week, for 4 pending felonies
7003668f4d7c4e724be781ec16269aeac0a091db.gif
and 2 misdemeanors....they are petty crimes, non-violent...larceny,robbery, etc. Dont have a juvy record, and this is my FIRST time ever getting arrested as an adult. i am 18

was in county jail for something i really had nothing to do with, for about a 2 weeks
6d826b443c43742581c1969c83a5e2979c19e1b6.gif
i heard that if i am found guilty, i can still go to college, andget my record expunged..also heard you can opt to go to the military instead. dont know if any of this is true.

i'm willing to do anything, just as long as they dont give me any time in county..them 2 weeks had me
mad.gif

any advice?

You can go to a college whether your a felon or not. I'm not sure how some higher ranking schools would feel about it.

Honestly, unless you beat all of them, you will have a hard time getting any job. Robbery is a crime of moral turpitude - that is, it's not just illegal,but it's wrong. You can only expunge misdemeanors of certain classes. It's probably different in every state, but I couldn't get mind completelyexpunged. Felonies are there forever, I believe.

It seems like kix4kix is really adamant about law school not being for everyone. Why is that so? Pardon the stupid question but is it very demanding?

You KNOW I had to drop into this post.....

To the post-starter....sounds like you might enjoy corporate law if you like finance and law.

Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou23

It seems like kix4kix is really adamant about law school not being for everyone. Why is that so? Pardon the stupid question but is it very demanding?

Yes it is VERY demanding, and while everyone may think it is intellectuals discussing our future in a lecture hall, it is usually your face reading tax law at4 a.m.

When people say they are doing it for the money, I say don't.

is really adamant about law school not being for everyone.

Shouldn't that be obvious? The fact that people DON'T realize that is the problem. Too many students, not enough jobs.

Don't do it for the money, and do consider it very carefully just like kix4kix has already said. It is very demanding. Not in the traditional "Oh Ihave to write this paper" way, but in a way that consumes you completely for 3 years, 4 if you're part-time. I've wrestled with deciding whetheror not to go so many times, and I'm probably still not done going back and forth on it. But I have a lot of friends who went, loved it, and came outdeciding they do not want to practice law and are in completely different fields. My fiance has worked very, very hard the past few years, and his entirefuture is going to be decided next year (partner track), and despite loving what he does, it is driving him insane and takes a toll on other things in his lifeat times.

That said, if it's your passion, if it's what you want to do, and you go in knowing you may become slightly jaded in the process but still want to doit, go for it. But not for the money. Newbie associates do not make nearly what a lot of people think.

Is it true that salaries in the Law field are diminishing/It's harder to find jobs at good firms?

I'm not interested solely because of the money-I love the idea of debating/proving a point/working with facts to make a conclusion etc. but if I'm notgoing to be making 90k-+!* I don't even know if 7 years 4under/3 LS is worth it considering the ridiculous tuition..

I'm a senior in HS and hopefully am going to Hofstra, I'm still second guessing the pos/negs of going into law...

Well, if you want to get in to a big, high-paying firm, you can't just graduate from law school - you have to graduate near the top of your class from lawschool.

If you don't, there's a high chance you might just end up being an ambulance chaser who does dozens of cases per day for $100 and meets your client inthe morning of their traffic ticket court date in the hallway outside of the court room.

I'm not interested solely because of the money-I love the idea of debating/proving a point/working with facts to make a conclusion etc. but if I'm not going to be making 90k-+!* I don't even know if 7 years 4under/3 LS is worth it considering the ridiculous tuition..

Yeah...you've gotta stop watching TV. Most lawyers aren't out there proving points/debating and the like...you're at a desk...pushing papers, butmaking cheese.

I'm in law school. Post-starter- keep working hard and apply, you'll get in somewhere. And disclose everything, because THEY WILL find out!

hah i know the court room is only a small portion of the equation, but regardless its a career that fascinates me

Asking for a friend, but what can a person that graduates with a bachelor degree in Paralegal do?

^ work under a lawyer. Paralegal is essentially a term for legal assistant. You can make some decent money if you get in at a good firm.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou23

Yes it is VERY demanding, and while everyone may think it is intellectuals discussing our future in a lecture hall, it is usually your face reading tax law at 4 a.m.

When people say they are doing it for the money, I say don't.
How do I know if I will like it? I find it funny that a lot of people say they want to go to law school because they think about the money orwhat have you but don't know what it takes to get there.

For example, I'm majoring in accounting and I did it after taking two introductory courses but there are some people who come into these classes sayingthey want to do accounting. Unless they've taken courses in high school, how the hell do they know this is something they like and are good at?

As far as me, I don't have a problem with reading. I read all my textbooks. I do have a slight inclination to law because my American Government made usread In Our Defense: The Bill of Rights in Action. The book was fascinating and made me consider doing political science and go to law school. I also have agenuine desire to learn because I love learning stuff. Everything interests me.

I'm sitting in law school class right now (and on NT, of course) and we are discussing the Len Bias life insurance case in Civil Procedure. Just so youknow, hardly any of the cases are as cool as this one.

I'm a 1L at Brooklyn Law School. I have a B.A. in History from NYU. For the original poster, I could honestly say that you are going to have to push hardto get into law school with a 2.5 GPA. I suggest getting some law experience beforehand to get your feet wet before spending all of that time trying to studyfor the LSAT and then pursuing school if there's a chance you won't get in. I have about 4 friends that tried to get into law school with decent gradesand they didn't get in, so there's no doubt that it is competitive. It is especially competitive in places like New York, which are hotspots forstudents considering that they all want to make big money in New York. You should always go to school in the place that you will practice, because you have totake the bar in that particular state to be certified to practice in that state.

As for having a record and applying, all of the applications ask about any criminal activity because they want to know about it. Full disclosure on that - DONOT LIE ABOUT IT. There are also opportunities down the line with programs that could clear you of certain crimes. There's a guy that came to my schoolthat spoke about these types of situations - the guy worked under the DA and had a pretty big-time job as a lawyer and he was stealing clients' money fordrugs because he had a horrible drug habit that stemmed from when he was in college and progressively got worse. This guy managed to get his life back togetherand now works as a representative for a service that provides this type of help, so depending on how bad your criminal activity is you might be able to clearit.

Your first step is getting the U.S. News Graduate School books and looking at the rankings, especially since the dude on here that said a 2.97 GPA and 167 LSATcould get you into NYU Law needs to keep dreaming. Schools look at your GPA, work experience, and LSAT score almost equally.
Then start to study for the LSAT and perhaps going to a review course for it. Don't think you will stroll right in and score a 165 on the LSAT - I studiedfor five months for it and I'll tell you that it's not the SAT!

Originally Posted by BKsOwnMVP

I'm sitting in law school class right now (and on NT, of course) and we are discussing the Len Bias life insurance case in Civil Procedure. Just so you know, hardly any of the cases are as cool as this one.

I'm a 1L at Brooklyn Law School. I have a B.A. in History from NYU. For the original poster, I could honestly say that you are going to have to push hard to get into law school with a 2.5 GPA. I suggest getting some law experience beforehand to get your feet wet before spending all of that time trying to study for the LSAT and then pursuing school if there's a chance you won't get in. I have about 4 friends that tried to get into law school with decent grades and they didn't get in, so there's no doubt that it is competitive. It is especially competitive in places like New York, which are hotspots for students considering that they all want to make big money in New York. You should always go to school in the place that you will practice, because you have to take the bar in that particular state to be certified to practice in that state.

As for having a record and applying, all of the applications ask about any criminal activity because they want to know about it. Full disclosure on that - DO NOT LIE ABOUT IT. There are also opportunities down the line with programs that could clear you of certain crimes. There's a guy that came to my school that spoke about these types of situations - the guy worked under the DA and had a pretty big-time job as a lawyer and he was stealing clients' money for drugs because he had a horrible drug habit that stemmed from when he was in college and progressively got worse. This guy managed to get his life back together and now works as a representative for a service that provides this type of help, so depending on how bad your criminal activity is you might be able to clear it.

Your first step is getting the U.S. News Graduate School books and looking at the rankings, especially since the dude on here that said a 2.97 GPA and 167 LSAT could get you into NYU Law needs to keep dreaming. Schools look at your GPA, work experience, and LSAT score almost equally.
Then start to study for the LSAT and perhaps going to a review course for it. Don't think you will stroll right in and score a 165 on the LSAT - I studied for five months for it and I'll tell you that it's not the SAT!
Everything stated exactly... I studied 2 months straight 8-10 hours a day with with very few days of break in between. I will tell you that theLSAT is a different test from any test that you have taken. It's difficult to finish and requires speed and precision. You have to be able to work fast onthe test as well as being able to pay close attention to detail. Take a practice test to see where you stand.

Law school is not a joke. It's demanding physically and mentally. If you don't know if Law school is for you take a class in undergrad. Most schoolsoffer constitutional law classes. Take those courses or talk to your pre law advisors at your school. If they don't have one take a political scienceclass that deals with law. If you are doing it for money you will have a hard time making it through law school because the only motivation is money and notpassion. You won't have the desire to learn neccessarily so your retention rate from law school will be low and with a low retention rate from the classesit will make it very hard for you to pass the BAR exam.

I'm sitting in law school class right now (and on NT, of course) and we are discussing the Len Bias life insurance case in Civil Procedure. Just so you know, hardly any of the cases are as cool as this one.

I'm a 1L at Brooklyn Law School. I have a B.A. in History from NYU. For the original poster, I could honestly say that you are going to have to push hard to get into law school with a 2.5 GPA. I suggest getting some law experience beforehand to get your feet wet before spending all of that time trying to study for the LSAT and then pursuing school if there's a chance you won't get in. I have about 4 friends that tried to get into law school with decent grades and they didn't get in, so there's no doubt that it is competitive. It is especially competitive in places like New York, which are hotspots for students considering that they all want to make big money in New York. You should always go to school in the place that you will practice, because you have to take the bar in that particular state to be certified to practice in that state.

As for having a record and applying, all of the applications ask about any criminal activity because they want to know about it. Full disclosure on that - DO NOT LIE ABOUT IT. There are also opportunities down the line with programs that could clear you of certain crimes. There's a guy that came to my school that spoke about these types of situations - the guy worked under the DA and had a pretty big-time job as a lawyer and he was stealing clients' money for drugs because he had a horrible drug habit that stemmed from when he was in college and progressively got worse. This guy managed to get his life back together and now works as a representative for a service that provides this type of help, so depending on how bad your criminal activity is you might be able to clear it.

Your first step is getting the U.S. News Graduate School books and looking at the rankings, especially since the dude on here that said a 2.97 GPA and 167 LSAT could get you into NYU Law needs to keep dreaming. Schools look at your GPA, work experience, and LSAT score almost equally.
Then start to study for the LSAT and perhaps going to a review course for it. Don't think you will stroll right in and score a 165 on the LSAT - I studied for five months for it and I'll tell you that it's not the SAT!
You 1L, pay attention in class! j/k LOL
smile.gif
. Everything hesaid I can vouch for. Law school is demanding. Especially exams. They are like nothing you have EVER experienced!! You think the LSAT is a beast? Imaginetaking 5 LSATs in a 2 wk span...
ohwell.gif

How's Brooklyn Law?
I took the LSAT last year but I keep putting off Law School. I'm not in any particular hurry...until the test score is close to expiring.
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

wow people in here have no idea what they talkin about
laugh.gif

OP just look for a tier3 or tier 4 school and transfer. getting a masters wont help its a waste of time and money. ask any admissions consuleor that and theyllprolly say the same. work with what u have jus ace the LSAT

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

How's Brooklyn Law?
I took the LSAT last year but I keep putting off Law School. I'm not in any particular hurry...until the test score is close to expiring.
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

I was really put off by my visit to Brooklyn and decided against going there. Nothing stood out to me about the school you know? there was nothing reallypulling me in, and all the kids seemed really tired like they didnt want to be there. The most attractive things about the school were the big **! library andthe dorms (the latter of which shouldnt really be a deciding factor)

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

How's Brooklyn Law?
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

I was really put off by my visit to Brooklyn and decided against going there. Nothing stood out to me about the school you know? there was nothing really pulling me in, and all the kids seemed really tired like they didnt want to be there. The most attractive things about the school were the big **! library and the dorms (the latter of which shouldnt really be a deciding factor)
You from NY or the surrounding area?

If I would go there I'd be living at home with the fam (they don't force you to live in Dorms do they?
indifferent.gif
).

Back
Top Bottom