Can Cyclists use their own bikes in international competition?

I'm doing an assignment for a Sport Law course I'm taking.  I wanted to know if in the international level cyclists like Lance Armstrong for example can use their own brand of bikes or if it's a regulated matter that they should all use the same brand.  

I'm doing an assignment for a Sport Law course I'm taking.  I wanted to know if in the international level cyclists like Lance Armstrong for example can use their own brand of bikes or if it's a regulated matter that they should all use the same brand.  

Depends. In big tour events each team has a bike sponsor so no, they can't deviate from the sponsor. For non team events, like the Leadville 100 mountain bike race, I believe they would be able to ride whatever they want. Most of the cyclists are under contract with their team though. If they're under contract they would have to use the team brand bikes.

Depends. In big tour events each team has a bike sponsor so no, they can't deviate from the sponsor. For non team events, like the Leadville 100 mountain bike race, I believe they would be able to ride whatever they want. Most of the cyclists are under contract with their team though. If they're under contract they would have to use the team brand bikes.

Cycling governeing body had general regulations on the materials, weight and design of the bikes that can be used in competition. Once a bike passes inspection by the UCI (the governing body) it can be used in competition. Most cycling teams have sponsorships from bike companies. Bur yes, technically it is allowed for a cyclist to use his own bike for a race. 

Cycling governeing body had general regulations on the materials, weight and design of the bikes that can be used in competition. Once a bike passes inspection by the UCI (the governing body) it can be used in competition. Most cycling teams have sponsorships from bike companies. Bur yes, technically it is allowed for a cyclist to use his own bike for a race. 

Back
Top Bottom