Can I weight train to lose weight and not gain bulk?

Im 153 lbs and 5'8". I'd like to go down to about 140-145lbs. I plan on weight training and doing cardio and some basketball. What can I do in myweight training regime, where I could emphasize fat loss, and minimal muscle gain.

Are you trying to be a jockey? Why are you trying to cut weight like that? U are already light....

for what it's worth, it all starts with your diet....look at the calories you intake daily.....watch that, and couple with some good cardio/lifting at thegym, you can cut some of that weight off

If its becuase of your appearence then just do crunches.
But if you just want to lose weight for the sake of losing it, then i co-sign with everyone else here.

i gotta question

My bro is 6'3 an about 240 or so,

He started runnin on the treadmill 3 miles a day 5 days a week and lifting 3 times a week. He trying to get down to 220 and get cut along the process.
Any eating suggestions and suggestions on losing weight and getting cut/bulk?

When cutting, its best to lift very heavy with low reps. This burns more fat than lifting moderate with high reps. You should also do sprints or HIIT(HighIntensity Interval Training) rather than doing endurance running. This will burn fat and help you keep your muscle.

Well no, I just have some fat in my stomache that I want to cut a little. and My face is a lil chubby. And no im not trying to be a jockey. I just want to beslim.

When cutting, its best to lift very heavy with low reps. This burns more fat than lifting moderate with high reps. You should also do sprints or HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) rather than doing endurance running. This will burn fat and help you keep your muscle.
the hell? ive NEVER heard of this. not to say that it ain't true, but that sounds completely contrary to anything I'veever heard. When I played football we lifted real heavy with 6-8 max reps and that ishh had me bulking more than I even wanted to. If heavyweight low reps bulks then what does light weight high reps do?

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

When cutting, its best to lift very heavy with low reps. This burns more fat than lifting moderate with high reps. You should also do sprints or HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) rather than doing endurance running. This will burn fat and help you keep your muscle.
the hell? ive NEVER heard of this. not to say that it ain't true, but that sounds completely contrary to anything I've ever heard. When I played football we lifted real heavy with 6-8 max reps and that ishh had me bulking more than I even wanted to. If heavy weight low reps bulks then what does light weight high reps do?

laugh.gif
It sounds crazy, but its true.
That's why you have to run when you're lifting heavy. You have to mix it up with sprints. The sprinting will cut the the water weight added toyour muscles and body fat. The light weight, high rep training is more for toning/strength training. Lifting really heavy burns a lot of body fat during musclerecovery. Supplementation has a lot to do with it to. When I was cutting at one point, I lifted very heavy and did some crazy HIIT training. Of course...I ranmore than I lifted, but the heavy weight training helped me burn more fat and keep my muscle.

Originally Posted by jmoneybaggz

the hell? ive NEVER heard of this. not to say that it ain't true, but that sounds completely contrary to anything I've ever heard. When I played football we lifted real heavy with 6-8 max reps and that ishh had me bulking more than I even wanted to. If heavy weight low reps bulks then what does light weight high reps do?

laugh.gif
That's why you have to run when you're lifting heavy. You have to mix it up with sprints. The sprinting will cut the the water weight added to your muscles and body fat. The light weight, high rep training is more for toning/strength training. Lifting really heavy burns a lot of body fat during muscle recovery. Supplementation has a lot to do with it to. When I was cutting at one point, I lifted very heavy and did some crazy HIIT training. Of course...I ran more than I lifted, but the heavy weight training helped me burn more fat and keep my muscle.

Not true

Low Reps/Heavy weight = Strength and to gain Mass/Bulk

High Reps/Low Weight = Fat burn, Cutting

Well no, I just have some fat in my stomache that I want to cut a little. and My face is a lil chubby.
You can't target specific areas of your body to lose fat from.

Suggestions? start lifting, tighten up your diet. trust me you'll look a lot better at a lean 5'8" 170 then being a pushover at a buck 45.

When cutting, its best to lift very heavy with low reps. This burns more fat than lifting moderate with high reps.

Actually, lifting higher reps (10-12) with low rest (30 seconds between sets) will burn more calories.
You should also do sprints or HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training) rather than doing endurance running. This will burn fat and help you keep your muscle.

False. Endurance running uses more fat as a fuel source; HIIT uses glycogen, but burns more calories in the same amount of time. Higher intensity does preventusing proteins as fuel, though.
The light weight, high rep training is more for toning/strength training.

False. "Toning" is a product of body fat percentage, which is a product of cardio and diet.

sorry if i'm hijacking your post, sorta off topic, but when doing HIIT training on a treadmill, what's a good general guideline to do it? like how manyMPH would be considered "jogging" and what would be the "sprinting" part.

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Originally Posted by jmoneybaggz

laugh.gif
That's why you have to run when you're lifting heavy. You have to mix it up with sprints. The sprinting will cut the the water weight added to your muscles and body fat. The light weight, high rep training is more for toning/strength training. Lifting really heavy burns a lot of body fat during muscle recovery. Supplementation has a lot to do with it to. When I was cutting at one point, I lifted very heavy and did some crazy HIIT training. Of course...I ran more than I lifted, but the heavy weight training helped me burn more fat and keep my muscle.

Not true

Low Reps/Heavy weight = Strength and to gain Mass/Bulk

High Reps/Low Weight = Fat burn, Cutting

Sorry, but no. Lifting heavy will burn more fat than lifting with low weight. It's been proven.

Actually, lifting higher reps (10-12) with low rest (30 seconds between sets) will burn more calories.

Explain your point. Lifting heavy with low reps= reducing bodyfat.
False. Endurance running uses more fat as a fuel source; HIIT uses glycogen, but burns more calories in the same amount of time. Higher intensity does prevent using proteins as fuel, though.

Endurance running will also burn your muscle, which is not something you want to do when cutting.
False. "Toning" is a product of body fat percentage, which is a product of cardio and diet.
I agree with this one. That's why I said supplementation has a lot to do with it.

Explain your point. Lifting heavy with low reps= reducing bodyfat

Lifting "heavy" with low reps will require you to take 3-4 minutes between sets, which is very low intensity. High reps with low rest keeps youmoving, and will burn more calories.
Endurance running will also burn your muscle, which is not something you want to do when cutting.

Yes, but you said HIIT burns fat, which is not true; it burns glycogen.

just lift heavy weights and eat a decent diet. you're skinny and a biginner so its not impossible for you to gain muscle and lose body fat at the sametime. all this worrying about rep ranges and the like is ridiculous. you'll make much more progress just working hard then thinking about all that crap. and oh ya if you want a way to incorporate weight training and playing sports google "Westside training for skinny bastards" by joe defranco.it's a pretty solid program for an athlete.

aerobic exercise (low intensity) uses fat as a fuel.

anaerobic exercise (high intensity) uses glycogen (sugars) as a fuel.

sorry if i'm hijacking your post, sorta off topic, but when doing HIIT training on a treadmill, what's a good general guideline to do it? like how many MPH would be considered "jogging" and what would be the "sprinting" part.

You should be "sprinting" so hard that you can't keep it up for more than 20-30 seconds. If you must do it on a treadmill, the"sprinting" portion should be well over 10mph, but on certain models, 10 is the highest it goes, and that pace can be maintained for minutes at atime for most people. I don't do HIIT on a treadmill for that reason, and it also take a long time for the belt to slow down/speed up. When I do HIIT, I doit on an eliptical; no impact, and you can achieve the target speeds easily.

gotta question

My bro is 6'3 an about 240 or so,

He started runnin on the treadmill 3 miles a day 5 days a week and lifting 3 times a week. He trying to get down to 220 and get cut along the process.
Any eating suggestions and suggestions on losing weight and getting cut/bulk?

First, I'd suggest he add HIIT as well as running, and higher intensity workouts (read my posts above). As for diet, cut out all junk and fast foods,sodas, juices (lots of sugar), salty/sugary foods, sauces, creamy dressings, eat smaller meals more frequently, etc. Overall, he should cut down on portionsizes slowly. Tell him to drink only water; you shouldn't drink your calories. When I'm cutting, I only allow myself two non-water drinks per day (i.e.milk for calcium and protein, or juice for vitamin C and simple carbs after a workout). Therefore, I treat myself to two glasses of milk, two glasses of juice,or one of each. I should add that I always dilute my juice, too (half water-half juice, severely cuts down on liquid calories). That's all I can think ofright now, since most of it is common sense and natural to me.

Yes. If you don't lift while trying to loose weight you are gonna loose alot of muscles mass and strength/power. Your body is not gonna be that muchdiffrent either.

You should be "sprinting" so hard that you can't keep it up for more than 20-30 seconds. If you must do it on a treadmill, the "sprinting" portion should be well over 10mph, but on certain models, 10 is the highest it goes, and that pace can be maintained for minutes at a time for most people. I don't do HIIT on a treadmill for that reason, and it also take a long time for the belt to slow down/speed up. When I do HIIT, I do it on an eliptical; no impact, and you can achieve the target speeds easily.
well this is all relative. some people can't run 10mph for that long. when I first tried to do HIIT on a treadmill, I kicked that joint upto like 11 and the treadmill was super trash. When I tried to slow the belt down, I almost went into flight
laugh.gif
. Good thing I got decent balance. but on this HIIT tip, you need to be inshape already to get a good HIIT training workout in (as far as completing and adhereing) cuz the first time I did HIIT I def couldn't run for 30 secs morethan 1 time

Back
Top Bottom