Can someone from the Midwest answer this question for me? **Tornado Related**

In Alabama when I was growing up school would be cancelled if there was a serious threat of snow and ice. Then again, the city didn't have the machinery to deal with it. With bad storms and Tornadoes, if there was a supercell coming through the meteorologist in the city would know a week in advance due to the millions of dollars the networks have spent on radar and weather prediction equipment. There were times when tornado warnings were highly likely that they would call off school or make it half day, but much less often than for winter weather.

see and thats what im saying is the difference in my home state. They are very proactive here. My girl teaches school and this year alone her school has been cancelled twice just off the possibility of snow which much less serious than a tornado. The school system already has makeup days in place for weather related cancellations. I guess I look at like why even take the chance. But i get the fact that its a huge area and you cant actually pinpoint where it will happen

Ok here is a clarification. Normally they can track when snow storms, hurricanes and thunderstorms happen.

Tornadoes on the other hand appear to be a different story. It would be like cancelling school for an earthquake or something. It seems it is very hard to predict man. Most places like along the gulf coast do have these weather related days like for Hurricanes, but again normally you can make a prediction when it will hit.

Tornadoes are extremely hard to predict - meaning the path it will take, when it will touch down, how long it will stay on the ground, etc. If they cancelled school every time they had a tornado prediction they shouldn't have school in the Spring. I have seen plenty of times where the weather service has issued a tornado watch and nothing ever happens. I have seen a tornado form, touch down on the ground for a few second and then disappear in the sky. Tornadoes you just can't predict. With the technology we have we are getting better at predicting but you still can't figure out the path it will take. Unfortunately for the people of Moore, OK living where they live and the weather season they are currently in things like happen.

RIP to the victims and my thoughts are with their families. :frown:

Tornadoes are no joke. Being born and raised in SF, I had no idea how terrifying tornadoes were. Back in 99 my family and I moved to Woodstock, Ga for a few months due to my mom's job and it was right around spring. I remember the first time I heard that God awful warning siren I thought it was an ambulance or something (I was in the 4th grade and literally had no clue about tornado sirens and all that); I didn't understand why everyone around me was freaking out :lol:
. Once I knew what it was I started freaking out myself. I swear, the sky turns red and there's an eerie "calm" when a tornado is about to hit.

Thank God I only had to deal with that for six months. I couldn't imagine living there (or anywhere that has tornadoes) for my entire life.

Im thinking its like how the East coast is with snow. They get tornado warnings/watches every week around this time. So they probably get numb to it.

Still a sad situation

View media item 421513
1 million from KD
1 million from the Thunder
1 million from Chespeake Energy
2.5 million from Devon Energy Co.
1 million from the NBA
1 million from the NBAPA
are the big donations I have heard of so far.

I hate tornadoes. Them ***** are scary as hell. My heart goes out to those people.

ATTN MODS, are we going to have any type of fund raising effort for this? I will gladly donate money.
(Somebody please report this post)

On a side note. These types of things make me like KD even more. Dude is a stand up guy.

It's really kinda strange living in the Midwest tornados are ust part of life. What's been said in here already is true, they normally appear out of nowhere and are the most unpredictable thing ever. I would assume though for the most part it's like hurricane for east coasters and earthquakes for people on the west, you get used to it. Most people I know will get their family situated in the basement if its real bad then go stand on the porch to watch the storm.

I live in Nebraska.. Haven't seen a tornado in my life. Only think two have touched down in my city in the 18 years I've been alive and I live inside Tornado Alley.

Way I see it is nothing can prepare you for what is to come. I live in the west coast and earth quakes are a thing we just get
Used to. There is no predicting one and when it hits you can only do what you can. When it comes to hurricanes and tornados its probably the same thing but you have some lead time. May the all rip.

KD :pimp:

Not that I'm in anyone's wallet or bank account, but I've always wondered why people or companies with MILLIONS donate like $100k to these causes. Break bread!!! People need help!!! Not saying a few hundred thousand won't go a long way to help folks, and obviously nobody is obligated to donate. But damn...when you're worth millions, what's a spare mil to help change people's lives?

We need more folks like KD in the world.

Chris Sheridan, NBA blogger, got ripped for doing so but he bought up the same point how KD as an employee of the Thunder donating a million himself makes the Thunder's million look less impressive in comparison.

The city I live in right now, like Moore apparently, has no safe rooms in any of the buildings or designated community shelters. If something big goes down, I hope I am at work.

Wal Mart has also donated 1 million dollars

Last edited:
^ Yeah I was thinking that too. KD donated the same amount as the League. One employee matched the contributions of his employer. That isn't some **** you see every day. Much respect to Kevin for that.....dude earned more of my respect with that gesture than anything he has done on the basketball court.

Im thinking its like how the East coast is with snow. They get tornado warnings/watches every week around this time. So they probably get numb to it.

Still a sad situation
So true, I was like that for years living here in Atlanta ignoring those Tornado warning until one day they had one touch in the city of Atlanta were it did a little damage to the Dome and Knock a lot of windows out at the West inn Hotel. 

How about installing underground tornado shelters at schools? Would that be feasible?
I guess the water-table is really high in Oklahoma and the soil is very tough to build into so many of the houses in the state don't have basements. But I don't care if the water-table is high, or the bedrock is expensive to build down into. If you're a school in tornado alley, you should have some sort of underground shelter. If not, the school shouldn't open

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom