Can we get a R&B/Soul/Neo-Soul thread?

BB&Q Band - Imagination

Good post romedadude. I like the smoothness of the OG.

Posting a real oldie but classic. A lot of the French house/electro DJs from Daft Punk, Justice, Medhi (RIP), etc got their steelo from early 80s r&b/funk like BB&Q. This song is a classic example of what French house/electro sounds like today...

Last edited:
Dont know if this is the right thread for this, but I have been listening to a lot of Curtis Mayfield recently.

Superfly >>>>

hey guys what are some nice r&b albums yall recommend, im talking about the older 2000's r&b the musiq soul child, jagged edge, glenn lewis, avant etc etc. even the newer stuff ill give a listen to heard the weekend has nice music fill me in nt. thx in advance

Last edited:
hey guys what are some nice r&b albums yall recommend, im talking about the older 2000's r&b the musiq soul child, jagged edge, glenn lewis, avant etc etc. even the newer stuff ill give a listen to heard the weekend has nice music fill me in nt. thx in advance

Erykah Badu - Mama's Gun
Dwele - Some Kinda
D'angelo - Voodoo

Hiatus Kaiyote - Tawk Tomahawk
Mayer Hawthorne - Where Does This Door Go
Moonchild - Be Free
Robert Glasper - Black Radio vol. 1

Erykah Badu - Mama's Gun
Dwele - Some Kinda
D'angelo - Voodoo

Hiatus Kaiyote - Tawk Tomahawk
Mayer Hawthorne - Where Does This Door Go
Moonchild - Be Free
Robert Glasper - Black Radio vol. 1

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp: @ Hiatus Kaiyote, one of the better new artists I was put on last year. I gotta give the second Black Radio another spin, I wasn't feeling it as much as the first.

Adding on to that list:

Dwele - Subject [2003]
Dwele - Sketches of a Man [2008]
Bilal - 1st Born Second [2001]
Remy Shand - Take A Message [2002]
Jesse Boykins III - The Beauty Created [2008]
Rashad - Museum [2012]
Sleepy Brown - Mr. Brown [2006]
BJ The Chicago Kid - Pineapple Now-Laters [2012]
Tweet - Southern Hummingbird [2002]

Most of those albums are in the vein of the artists you listed and the ones GL Rayner dropped.

I know yall remember this joint! 2000-2004 had some good R&B artists who had good, well publicized singles, but their careers tailed off for whatever reason. I remember around that time the Jimmy Cozier joint, Remy Shand, Robin Thicke (just Thicke at the time), Lucy Pearl, Ruff Endz, Koffee Brown, were all getting significant play on BET/MTV on music video shows.

Stevie Wonder - All I Do & Wonder That Girl

I think what's lost on a lot of singers from the 90s into today is they have no idea how to sing with emotion. They think singing with emotion is the equivalent to singing rolls etc. These younger singers have talent, but they lack the "je ne sais quoi" of the singers that came before them. That's a big reason why r&b is dead in terms of radio format.

Have you ever looked at Stevie Wonders catalog? :smh: The number of albums/songs he's written is craaaazy. Listen to how subtle & bitter sweet his phrasing is... That's emotion right there... That brother has more talent & ability than any act that's come out from the 90s & on combined.

Liam Bailey - When Will They Learn & Soon Come

Another NTer posted this Brit a while back. Bailey is in the studio with none other than Salaam Remi working on his album which is expected out later this year. These are my favorite tracks of his. Love the rocksteady/reggae flavor of the songs. Hope we hear more of this from his upcoming album.

Roman GianArthur - I-69 & Depraved Valet

I think this dude is an Atlanta native & associated with Janelle Monae. He's opened for her on some tour dates. Very interesting stuff...

Hawk House - Tidal Tendencies

More London town blokes...

Last edited:
Stevie Wonder - All I Do & Wonder That Girl

I think what's lost on a lot of singers from the 90s into today is they have no idea how to sing with emotion. They think singing with emotion is the equivalent to singing rolls etc. These younger singers have talent, but they lack the "je ne sais quoi" of the singers that came before them. That's a big reason why r&b is dead in terms of radio format.

Have you ever looked at Stevie Wonders catalog? :smh: The number of albums/songs he's written is craaaazy. Listen to how subtle & bitter sweet his phrasing is... That's emotion right there... That brother has more talent & ability than any act that's come out from the 90s & on combined.

This is one of my all-time favorite Stevie Wonder songs

along with this

I guess this is R&B. But this new Phil Beaudreau album is fish grease

Bout to be my first purchase of 2014

Not sure when its going to drop but producer Russell “The Dragon” Elevado has dropped 3 clips featuring bassist extraordinaire Pino Palladino working/jamming on the forthcoming D'Angelo album. :smokin

& here is a real track... Africa... :smokin

Not sure if AlunaGeorge has been posted in here yet, but I'm disappointed that I've slept on this album for so long. Here's a few cuts from the LP:

Back
Top Bottom