Can you recommend NON HIP HOP music for me? thread

As a 32 year old, if it isn't Kendrick/Cole/Krit (I don't even care not including Drake on this list anymore), I officially have moved on from checking for hip hop. The disposable "in one ear, out the other" trap rappers are dead to me. Even the older guys clinging on to the tail end of their careers- Jadakiss, Bone Thugs, Busta, etc that put out completely ignored projects at this stage of their careers don't interest me. Enough of the old man ranting- what do you recommend for me to latch onto for new territories? 90s rock? Classic rock? Electronic/trance? Country? Looking forward to the recommendations as I can always trust NT

Check out Rüfüs Du Sol if you haven’t already. Alternative Electronic Dance music.

The “Bloom” album is incredible.

If you are looking for electronic music, there are a lot of good "radio shows" that artists have where they play some diverse mixes of music. They will help you get a taste for different genres and the different artists out there, vs focusing on just one artist. Some good ones: State of Trance, Group Therapy, Marcus Schulz Global DJ Broadcast, Heldeep Radio, Radio Wonderland, & Deadbeats radio. The last two are newer shows but i have been enjoying them since they started up. And the BBC essential mixes are almost always incredible and diverse. You can find most of these on mixcloud and soundcloud.

Some other non hip-hop stuff i have been listening to lately is Tame Impala, Future Islands, Cut Copy, Chromeo, Justice, Flume, etc. I also **** with a lot of 80s music (across the whole genre spectrum). Cant go wrong with new order, depeche mode, duran duran, etc. etc. I spend a lot of my day at work exploring spotify, mixcloud, soundcloud, etc. searching for new (to me) music and artists. There is so much awesome music out there that most people have no idea about.

Few years ago I got into classic rock pretty hard. It's the perfect pallet cleanser for a lifelong hip hop head.

As cliche as it sounds, something like Stairway to Heaven gets constant spins from me. It's amazing to me how different the listening experience is between a classic rock song heavy on guitars and live instruments and a Conway the Machine record about shooting ****** in the face.:lol:

Just as enjoyable, but those live instruments man...they do something to you. Especially the guitar or drum solo.

Something else I kinda stumbled upon years ago going deep on Hip Hop samples was 70s Funk. Kool & The Gang, Parliament, Bootsy, Funkadelic.

Take some of your favorite songs and look into the samples they used. Funky Worm has easily become one of my favorite songs ever. Too me forever to stumble upon it by mistake. There's also a ton of Hip Hop sample playlists that'll introduce you to a ton of very different sounding music.

Then there's stuff like Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay, which has been one of my favorite songs since a music teacher played it for us in 3rd grade.

There's more, so I'll probably be back

I've been listening to this group named Ethreal Universe. Been rocking with them since 2007 since they started on youtube. They put out some dope electronic/hip-hop/trip-hop/Drum-n-bass music. They also have put out 10 albums with number 11 on the way. These are a few of my fav tracks.

Majid Jordan - Majid Jordan

PARTYNEXTDOOR - PARTYNEXTDOOR

AlunaGeorge - I Remember

Bruno Mars - 24k Magic

Wizkid - Sounds From the Other Side

If you're a hip-hop head that is into lyrics, go listen to some old Bob Dylan. The Freewheelin, Bringing It All Back Home, Blonde on Blonde, Blood On The Tracks, Another Side of Bob Dylan, etc. My man was a master lyricist.

If you can stomach jam check out some Grateful Dead. I can listen to the Dead endlessly.

Some of my favorite essential mixes. Most are some form of electronic, besides the massive attack (hip hop early 90s) and david holmes (northern soul). Listen to them in full, they are all excellent.

if you dug TPAB then you should peep Terrace Martin and Thundercats discography.

Check the Pollyseeds album.

Kamasi Washington just put out a dope Jazz album.

Drunk by Thundercat

Foreign Exchange's discography

Toro Y Moi

The War on Drugs

Flying Lotus

I tried toro y moi briefly and couldnt get into. I think I need to check him again.

I'm going to have to check that kamasi Washington album tho. First and only time I've heard him is rtj3 and I thought he was pretty dope.

Good recs by all. :smokin

Back
Top Bottom