Canon 5D Mark II (Amateur help) Photogs check in.

I'm looking into getting a high quality slr camera like the Canon 5d Mark II I'm novice to these types of high end cameras but I need high quality photos/ HD video for my business. So I'm wondering how difficult it is to learn a camera like this for a beginner?. I'm not looking to be a professional photographer, but just accomplish high quality video/ photo.

AWFULLY expensive for a novice, I think you could get away with a 50D. Do you have to have photo and HD vid capability in the same device?

that camera may overwhelm a beginner at first. if you're wanting hi def video and good pictures, try the canon rebel t1i first, it's cheaper, shoots hi def video and take pretty good pictures. i've got a canon 10d and a 1d mark ii now, and there's a big difference between those 2 camera bodies. i'd try some different ones before you spend that kinda money on a body.

well if you're not a professional, then i don't suggest you spend $2,000+ dollars on the most "top-of-the-line" equipment.

If you're looking to shoot high quality video and get great photos why not look into the Canon 7D or even a T2i.

Both of which shoot HD video while taking fantastic photographs and both can be found at much, much cheaper prices. The 7D would

be my recommendation because it's still very high-end, but you could find one for $800-$1000 less than it would cost you to buy a 5D mrk 2.

The T2i is more suitable for a beginner, it's more on the entry level side of things--the controls are easy to figure out, and it's a relatively easy camera to operate compared

to something like the 5D Mrk 2. You can find a T2i for under a grand, and it will still provide you with high quality HD-video and super sharp pictures.

And remember, it's not always the camera that provides the best quality, but the lenses. Buying the right lens and using it in the correct situation is critical

for any photographer no matter what camera body they own.

Jordan Supreme speaks truth there. The glass (lenses) makes a world of difference. You can have a good lens on a cheap body and have great pictures. don't cheap out on the lenses. I've got 3 L series now, and I won't shoot with anything else.

I honestly don't know what hi quality photos means to you cause that usually translates that you are going to use these photos for print. The T2i has plenty of megapixals to do a 24 x 36 inch posters but if you are in the business of doing billboards, then get the Mark II. If this is all for web use, then don't worry about anything as there is no such thing has high quality photos on the web.

Do not get the T1i...get the T2i and you should be straight.

As far as learning goes, it's pretty easy.

But it takes years to be a really good photographer. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you're just gonna point and shoot and wont be using much of the camera's other functions, I suggest getting the T2i or a Nikon D90, because it would be much cheaper than a Canon 5dMKII.

BTW...What kind of pictures are you gonna be taking?

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

As far as learning goes, it's pretty easy.

But it takes years to be a really good photographer. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you're just gonna point and shoot and wont be using much of the camera's other functions, I suggest getting the T2i or a Nikon D90, because it would be much cheaper than a Canon 5dMKII.

BTW...What kind of pictures are you gonna be taking?
Yeah not a photographer, being around a few though, the technical stuff seems easy to learn, it's maturing your eye and perspective that might be difficult.

thats crazy, a friend of mine is attending a class today by bruce dorn teaching how to work this camera, i've seen some amazing shots from it.

this one pic she showed me was a lens reflection of the photographer that was so hi res that it could cropped and resized as another pic

Originally Posted by StuntHard

thats crazy, a friend of mine is attending a class today by bruce dorn teaching how to work this camera, i've seen some amazing shots from it.

this one pic she showed me was a lens reflection of the photographer that was so hi res that it could cropped and resized as another pic

You can do that with a lot of cameras that are out, given the photo was taken in the right setting. I would say 10mp or higher, you can crop something down pretty small and be able to blow it up with no real distortion at all. The T2i and 7D are all at 18mp now...which is insane to think that it is only 3mp short of the Mark2 cause when the Mark 2 came out, 21mp was just huge jump up from the old 5D.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

^ Please tell me you're kidding.

I meant that it does full HD as the 5D Mark II, and the T21 doesn't have a full frame sensor and twenty something megapixels like the 5D Mark II does

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

^ Please tell me you're kidding.

I meant that it does full HD as the 5D Mark II, and the T21 doesn't have a full frame sensor and twenty something megapixels like the 5D Mark II does

Hey guys, I'm actually saving up just for the Mark II.

My friend works for a wedding photography/ video team and uses the Mark II and the videos and pictures are AMAZING. I have a D40, but I'm ready to move on to one of the higher end cameras. I want to buy the Mark II and plan to use it for promotional videos and photos for my own clothing line. My friend said he would recommend the T2i or the Mark II, but would recommend the Mark II over the T2i. Can anyone explain to me the differences? I've been told it has to do with the "full frame sensor" like mentioned above, but what does that mean? All help would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by ekon one

Hey guys, I'm actually saving up just for the Mark II.

My friend works for a wedding photography/ video team and uses the Mark II and the videos and pictures are AMAZING. I have a D40, but I'm ready to move on to one of the higher end cameras. I want to buy the Mark II and plan to use it for promotional videos and photos for my own clothing line. My friend said he would recommend the T2i or the Mark II, but would recommend the Mark II over the T2i. Can anyone explain to me the differences? I've been told it has to do with the "full frame sensor" like mentioned above, but what does that mean? All help would be appreciated.

Pretty sure you can find all the answers you need in this thread.

Photography Thread

Here's a quick explanation of full frame vs a copped sensor 1.Xx

i highly recommend the 1Ds mark iii, that is if you want to take any kind of decent quality pictures. you're also going to need an ef 300mm
f/2.8l is usm lens while you're at it.

Originally Posted by BlackFalcon23

i highly recommend the 1Ds mark iii, that is if you want to take any kind of decent quality pictures. you're also going to need an ef 300mm
f/2.8l is usm lens while you're at it.

Your better off getting a Leica medium format camera, but it will run ya 40 Racks

Hasselblad all the way. The 5d Mark II is a joke. Check out the steal B&H has going on right now: http://www.bhphotovideo.c...Hasselblad_70480532.html

pimp.gif

Seriously, the T1i is perfect for your needs. The 5D Mark II is only half as good as the lenses you buy.
Oh, and those lenses, can only be L or EF mount lenses. The 50mm f/1.8 lens is only $110 shipped brand new...but the other ones you'd need...

generally about a grand a piece. Do some research, homie.

Oh, and there's only one auto mode on the 5D Mark II, and there's no built in flash. If you're gonna need flash, add another $400 to the camera's price.

So far, with just the body, one not-fantastic-for-anything-other-than-portraits lens, and a flash, you're looking at about $2800...then another grand until your next decent lens.

Not to mention the CF cards you'll have to buy at $40+ a piece.

Thanks guys, really got a lot of good info from your posts. One of my main reason for looking into the Mark II was because the Hi-Def video is off the charts, almost movie like. Definitely check out some of the cheaper cameras you guys suggested.

Back
Top Bottom