Car heads: Anyone know how long you can store tires for?....

I checked online already... but most of those discussions are for mounted tires.

I'm talking about brand spanking new from the factory, unmounted tires.

Gracias,
-Dirty

Save_Ferris_3.18.jpg

anyone, anyone?

i belive there is a date on the side of the tire that tells an exp date or maybe inside the tire, i just read a lawsuit about the exp dates on tires.

If unmounted, they can last for a long time, talking in term of years. The only time it would be of a concern is when you have a car sitting for a very longperiod of time. They say the tires will 'rot'...I have no idea where they got that term from. I just know it has to do with the weight of the carweighing down the same points of contact in each tire and not being moved.

Most wholesalers have mad tires stacked in their warehouse. The one in this picture gets at least 10 tires delivered per day. They do sell some of thempretty fast, but some of the unpopular specs sit there for quite a while.
warift.jpg

[sandlot] forrreverrrrrr [/sandlot]

as long as its kept in a place from sunlight or heavy moisture theyll last forever really. probably outlast the car youre gonna put them on lol

awesome....I'm about to buy a set before prices spike in the next 2-3 months.

i belive there is a date on the side of the tire that tells an exp date or maybe inside the tire, i just read a lawsuit about the exp dates on tires.
yes...I read there is a code on the tire that tells you the date of manufacture..
If I have to store mine for 1-2 yrs...I think I'll be good.... my car will probably die before I have to buy a new set.

Originally Posted by Ouch my feet

Tire prices will be rising soon?

yeah, they been going up. the price of rubber is rising so tire companies have to raise prices to compensate.

as far as storing them, they should last a long time. just keep them in the garage or some other cool place. i keep my stockers stored for 3/4s of the yearand there always as good as the last time i used them.

Originally Posted by Ouch my feet

Tire prices will be rising soon?

Not directly, but most likely indirectly due to gas prices..meaning higher shipping fee. Sometimes the getting is just too damn good...maybe the reason forDirty copping tires to resell.

Dirty-what makes you think that your car is going to die soon than later?
laugh.gif
I know you wanna follow Al Bundy's footstep and go back to 0 miles.

tire prices will go up as tires are made from oil/petroleum

heh...my car's not going to die that quickly....but I figure I have at least 15-20k more to go on my current (about how many miles I put on my car peryear)...

figure I'll order a set for when I have to replace em.

to be honest...I hope my car lasts forever...but I know that's not going to happen...something major will eventually fail and it won't be costeffective to try and fix it....but hopefully that day won't come anytime soon.

btw...wj4.
opinion on Rhino Ramps?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

tire prices will go up as tires are made from oil/petroleum

heh...my car's not going to die that quickly....but I figure I have at least 15-20k more to go on my current (about how many miles I put on my car per year)...

figure I'll order a set for when I have to replace em.

to be honest...I hope my car lasts forever...but I know that's not going to happen...something major will eventually fail and it won't be cost effective to try and fix it....but hopefully that day won't come anytime soon.

btw...wj4.
opinion on Rhino Ramps?

You getting the ramps to do your own oil changes? To be honest, I've never used them before. Before being spoiled with hydrolic lifts, we just usedfloor jacks with jack stands.

BTW how many miles you got on your Max now? Around 100k right?

yeap..
I'm not balling like that with the garage toys..

110K miles.. 2003 max

Damn I would be so happy if I get up to 100k on my car with no issues.

LOL, just hit up Costco and get a 2 ton floor jack or two. Sears also got good sales every now and then..make sure only Craftsman, son. Craftsman!

I've had tires upstairs for a couple years and they're fine

If you're that worried about them i'd coat them in armormall

Originally Posted by Sha77er S7ar I

[sandlot] forrreverrrrrr [/sandlot]

as long as its kept in a place from sunlight or heavy moisture theyll last forever really. probably outlast the car youre gonna put them on lol

NOOOOOO!

You should not use tires that are ever 6 yrs old no matter if they are brand new or not. I'd go with 4yrs max to be safe.

Originally Posted by wj4

yeap..
I'm not balling like that with the garage toys..

110K miles.. 2003 max

Damn I would be so happy if I get up to 100k on my car with no issues.

LOL, just hit up Costco and get a 2 ton floor jack or two. Sears also got good sales every now and then..make sure only Craftsman, son. Craftsman!

yeah...a lot of my miles are highway...but a lot are also city.

I replaced my rotors and calipers once b/c I was stooopid...but haven't had any major issues.

get that stupid rattle that most Gen 5.5 Max's have...but it doesn't affect performance so I haven't addressed it yet...prob try to seafoam itsometime this summer.

other than that...I'm pretty good *knock on wood*...but I know I need to start taking a little better care of it now that it's broken 100K.

but yeah...I'm waiting for that Sear's deal for the jack, stands and that crawler for $99 they usually have. I want to get the Rhino ramps thoughtoo...seems like they'd be more convenient to use.

^ You dont have to drive it to work on it.
eyes.gif
smile.gif

Hows the 240 coming along?

yall got Pepboys on the east?

i aint no mechanic (prolly spelt it wrong) but they had what i would consider cheap jacks and stands there.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

^ You dont have to drive it to work on it.
eyes.gif
smile.gif

Hows the 240 coming along?

Its been almost 3 months and im still waiting for my %@!$%%@ Iraggi alternator
mad.gif
mad.gif
after I get the alt I can fix the other problems but itsholding up everything.

Dirty with a Maxima? I knew all along that YOU wee phillyhova

But 5 years max for storing unmounted.

lol... phillyhova....my max >>> all

I hope my car lasts 10 more years and at least another 150K miles... my boy's 98 max lasted 400K miles (albeit mostly highway) and he only had to replace 1gear in the transmission before it went out on him.

Back
Top Bottom