Car Problems are the Worst Problems

Driving home from work and my timing belt broke.... Taking it into the shop tomorrow, $410 to fix.Share any of you car problems that have caught you by suprise and ruined your week.

What kind of car do you drive? Timing belt is pretty easy to replace yourself. But I feel your pain, sometimes I wish cars could be CEL free forever!
laugh.gif

Nothing great, 2002 dodge neon sxt. The price is high because he said to replace the water pump while im at it.. And I doubt I could do it by myself, I can only do the basics when it comes to cars.

on my birthday two days ago I guess one of the terminals on my battery came loose causing me to think the battery went dead and had me going to walgreens to buy jumper cables and asking random people to help jump my car. Some dudes helped me tighten up the bolts and everything was fine but i mean @#%#, this was my birthday so I missed hitting up a club

crack in the engine, bolt broke off one of my calipers, ball joints needed to be replaced, needed a new alternator, new battery, new windshield and a cpl new mufflers (on 4 different cars)
never had god luck with cars

Reliable transportation is important but having a car is like having a hole in your pocket. 

OP $410 is not OD for fixing those parts. And your mechanic is right about replacing the water pump while he is in there (pause). You should change out the tensioner and drain and refill the coolant while hes working on your car. And how much miles are on the Neon?

Spend a few $ on prenative maintnence > spending $$$$ on costly repairs.

Haven't had any major mech problems with my whip.  Only battery dying a couple of times.  My CEL is on at the moment, due to a secondary air pump issue.  Easy fix, got my goons and hosted a meet at my work and got all work done for free.  While we were working on my car we installed a cusco front strut bar, rear cusco pillar bar and rear (trunk area) carbon cusco strut bar.. not to mention i'am on cusco coils so my car feels like it's on rails! LOVE IT.  Go to some car meets man, you don't have to have a fixed up car to be part of them.  People go to hang out, and work on cars for FUN.  6pk a beer could pay for your timing belt
eek.gif

-UNDFT-

My 03 altima has been nothing but good to me.....only usual maintenance....tune ups...cat conv...alternator....brakes....157k strong....bought it new btw

Originally Posted by Girl Thats Drob

Having a reliable transportation > ____. Toyotas for the win!

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by sickickz23

My 03 altima has been nothing but good to me.....only usual maintenance....tune ups...cat conv...alternator....brakes....157k strong....bought it new btw
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

how often do you get tuneups?

If you have an older car, "problems," are going to arise. I have 96 Ford Explorer with damn near 230k on the odometer (probably more than that b/c the odometer stops sometimes) and I've had it since 2007. Since then I've replaced:

engine (it had been sitting for almost a year)
timing belt
alternator
motors in front windows/wiring
headlights (old lady hit the truck last year)
various relays
battery + terminals
wheel bearings

That's just off the top of my head, I've put a lot of work into it just to keep it running good. It's taken me through my senior year of HS and all four years of college, from GA to NC, and places in between, so I can't complain.

car problems >>>girl problems.

My belt broke on December 31st 10:30PM on the highway. I thought I was going to count down new years in the whip. I swear I saw smoke come out of my wifes ears.

Luckily some friends dropped everything they were doing to come pick us up.

Alll cars have to be maintained, if you maintain it along the way you are 9/10 good. Ppl wait till things get ugly then back to back to back lil things. If you have a car w/o warranty left you should always have a lil car fund on deck imo. Also its great when you wanna sell your car later you got a record book or receipts of all your work done to show you've taken care of it.

Originally Posted by breezylocks

Originally Posted by Girl Thats Drob

Having a reliable transportation > ____. Toyotas for the win!
real life...
this is a fact... also honda...

I have to agree, Honda is
pimp.gif
when it comes to low maintenance. Literally just put gas and drive type of car, my cousin drives an '03 Accord with over 240k (he drives to out of state a lot)

Never had a problem with anything since he bought it new.

some people think buying/leasing a new car is a waste of $, but the positive is that i don't have to worry about any problems during the time of my lease since everything is covered.

/\ yup... really hafta talk myself outta leasin a g37 everyother day. 299 a month only like 1k down

Back
Top Bottom