Car purchase question? bmw & volvo.

Ok, so I know this board isn't a car board by any chance, but I see some car threads from time to time. I've narrowed down a decision for a used 2002 BMW and 2004 Volvo both going past the 90k mark in millage. Going rate for both is 10k plus warranty coverage. Some advice would be helpful though because skepticism is always overbearing in this situation.

You better make sure that you have the funds to maintain, cause a 10 year old BMW WILL have problems, and costly ones at that. Water pump, tstat, radiator, coolant tank, window regulators...etc.. you gonna have to keep about 2k of emergency car funds just in case anything happens. What BMW you looking at?

Wow I just purchased a 2004 volvo s60 over the weekend and I love it 90k on a Volvo is nothing is just broken in

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

You better make sure that you have the funds to maintain, cause a 10 year old BMW WILL have problems, and costly ones at that. Water pump, tstat, radiator, coolant tank, window regulators...etc.. you gonna have to keep about 2k of emergency car funds just in case anything happens. What BMW you looking at?
Untrue. I have a 10 year old Bimmer and it runs like a dream.

it depends on the model and what kind abuse the previous owner put it through

if youre going to buy a 10 year old car buy a japanese one

100-150k miles is where the expensive problems kick in

Originally Posted by SupremeApe

Untrue. I have a 10 year old Bimmer and it runs like a dream.

it depends on the model and what kind abuse the previous owner put it through
its only a matter of time, if the previous owner took the most preventive care then it will run good. But everything i mentioned above will go bad eventually, i work for the BMWSF parts and work besides the techs and this stuff always goes bad, just how long you can prevent it is a matter of how long you take care of the car, treat the car right and itll take care of you.. And yea some BMW's are more messed up than others, im guessing he's looking at e46's.

I personally wouldn't buy a ten year old car unless you have the money for repairs like they mentioned above. Your better off putting money down on something newer.
Thats just my opinion though.

E46

S60

If you are considering a E46 I'll toss in my 2 cents since I recently passed on one...still wound up with a BMW and was coming out of a BMW

Everything about the cooling system needing constant maintenance is true....cost of parts so-so a lot are not much more than on an American car (if at all) the BMW just may need them more often...do your own maintenance!!!! it's totally possible for anyone with 2 capable hands and the ability to follow instructions and save $$$$

Now as for the E46...I would avoid the early years of any generation of any car...2002 is just getting out of the intro bugs on E46's introduced in 1999...take your chance I haven't heard too many horror stories (outside of cooling failures and electrical gremlins we avoid by maintenance and buying at the end of the model cycle) if you get a manual the cars are bullet proof with almost 30yrs of design, engineering and refinement into them at that point... Bf.c is good in addition to Bfest up there

Don't have much to say about Volvo...don't know the cars that well but they are a good long standing company but I think they were run by Ford at that time or was still selling Ford designed products so you have some homework to do

good luck!

Originally Posted by r33p04s

If you are considering a E46 I'll toss in my 2 cents since I recently passed on one...still wound up with a BMW and was coming out of a BMW

Everything about the cooling system needing constant maintenance is true....cost of parts so-so a lot are not much more than on an American car (if at all) the BMW just may need them more often...do your own maintenance!!!! it's totally possible for anyone with 2 capable hands and the ability to follow instructions and save $$$$

Now as for the E46...I would avoid the early years of any generation of any car...2002 is just getting out of the intro bugs on E46's introduced in 1999...take your chance I haven't heard too many horror stories (outside of cooling failures and electrical gremlins we avoid by maintenance and buying at the end of the model cycle) if you get a manual the cars are bullet proof with almost 30yrs of design, engineering and refinement into them at that point... Bf.c is good in addition to Bfest up there

Don't have much to say about Volvo...don't know the cars that well but they are a good long standing company but I think they were run by Ford at that time or was still selling Ford designed products so you have some homework to do

good luck!
what you get instead of the e46?

Back
Top Bottom