Carmelo Anthony named one of nation's most influential Hispanics

Among the nation's most influential Hispanics are Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez, opera singer Elaine Alvarez - and the Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony.

Anthony, whose father was born in Puerto Rico, made Hispanic Business magazine's annual list this year along with Federico Pena, the former Denver mayor and national co-chair of Barack Obama's campaign.

Asked to name prominent Hispanics from Colorado, many would probably first think of Pena, Sen. Ken Salazar or construction executive Linda Alvarado.

But Anthony?

Even the Nuggets star seemed surprised.

"I want to be No. 1," Anthony said after learning he was on the list. "That's my goal. I've got to see who's on the list and see what I can do to top (them)."

Many sports fans may not not have known about Anthony's family ties to Puerto Rico. His father died when he was 2.

More than half of the magazine's 100 picks come from California, with 40 in the Los Angeles area. The report includes figures from government, business, education and the arts and entertainment field.

Others on the list include San Diego Chargers defensive lineman Luis Castillo, author Junot Diaz, U.S. Rep. Xavier Becerra, health care executive Castulo de la Rocha and Girl Scouts of the USA chair Patricia Diaz Dennis. Baseball star Manny Ramirez is another.

"It hasn't always been easy, but these are the leaders who, through the force of their personality and their actions, have shown us that it can be done," the authors of the October report wrote.

Anthony has excelled as a basketball player but has struggled on and off the court. He has had several run-ins with the law, most recently with a DUI arrest. In 2006, he was suspended for 15 games for participating a brawl during a game with the Knicks.

The 6-foot-8 forward has hired three marketing and public relations firms in the past year to promote his brand name or his foundation.

The 24-year-old former Syracuse University phenom said he plans to visit Puerto Rico next summer and thinks he still has family there.

"It would be the first time I actually get to really be there for a long period of time," Anthony said. "People can really see me and interact while I'm there."

Rocky Mountain News

whats interesting about it? Melo has prolly put in as much community work in the inner-city as any NBA athlete since he came out....its just the average persondont classify him as hispanic for one, and his work seems to go unnoticed.

Nice.
pimp.gif

His Spanish is awful. He's Puerto Rican but most people wouldn't classify him as that.

He was born in Redhook, Brooklyn which has a fairly sizeable Latino population.

lol @ the list. AROD didn't want to play for the DR baseball team a few years back. Luis castillio got cauight with roids before the draft. that's likebeing on a list of most influential blacks and having OJ and Marion Berry on it. smh

Of all the people, they pick Melo? Just because he's hispanic, doesn't make him influential. If you're looking in the realm of athletics, theycould have found someone better to have on there.

i remember a while back reading he was hispanic, but i still consider him black...im hispanic if it matters...

Back
Top Bottom