Cash 4 Clunkers (A Retrospective) Vol. 310 Toyota SUPRAS Destroyed!!!

I like the car I drive now, but that supra would've made a great project car
30t6p3b.gif

Could junkyards not buy these up?

They all seem to own thousands of other somewhat destroyed vehicles. Yet it seems this program actually promoted the destruction of vehicles, young, old, or working. What a travesty. Just one piece of any crushed engine could be usable in some regard, and that junkyard would have kept the card for years and years.... Are they thinking they did everyone a favor?

Originally Posted by KingSuperbIV

Hold on why were they pouring the mixture int he engines?
To completley destroy them.

The Government said this was done to keep dangerous, gas guzzling cars off the road.
laugh.gif

What a crock of bull. Take the white supra I posted on the first page for example. That particular car had electrical problems, but the engine block and drivetrain were still perfectly intact. $3500 later and we have 1 less 2jz in the world.
frown.gif

WallyHopp wrote:

They all seem to own thousands of other somewhat destroyed vehicles. Yet it seems this program actually promoted the destruction of vehicles, young, old, or working. What a travesty. Just one piece of any crushed engine could be usable in some regard, and that junkyard would have kept the card for years and years.... Are they thinking they did everyone a favor?

I could be wrong but, I think the deal was all engine blocks and transmissions were mandated to be destroyed, painted orange and blacklisted first thing once they hit the junkyard. Yards were able to keep these vehicles and sell any parts other than the engine and transmission for up to 90 days. After 90 days any remaining cars, parts, or frames were mandated to be crushed. Unfortunantly due to the extremely high number of cars being brought to junk yards at one time, most yards did not have the space to store these cars for even 90 days and had them crushed immediately.

Originally Posted by ispeakjewleo

This plan did nothing but make things worse. Not only did it destroy a bunch of good used cars that could have been sold most of the sales went to Asian car producers
30t6p3b.gif
Asian car producers manufacture cars in America too.  They also sell them here, and also pay taxes here. 

Can anyone actually show some proof that the program slowed the economy? The vid didn't really make a good case at all for the program reducing jobs and slowing the economy. 

Unless you are going to tell me that people don't have to do maintenance on new vehicles, I really am not getting the gist of the guy's claim that the aftermarket part industry is significantly hurt by the clunkers program.  The new car maintenance is just under warranty instead of coming out of the owner's pocket.

Was poorly administered, and would have been more effective had they managed it better...

BUT

for what it was meant to do.. Was widely successful.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Was poorly administered, and would have been more effective had they managed it better...

BUT

i have to disagree. people went from owning a debt free car that might be a little old to a car with a note attached to it.

cguy610 wrote:
ispeakjewleo wrote:
This plan did nothing but make things worse. Not only did it destroy a bunch of good used cars that could have been sold most of the sales went to Asian car producers
30t6p3b.gif

Asian car producers manufacture cars in America too.  They also sell them here, and also pay taxes here. 

Can anyone actually show some proof that the program slowed the economy? The vid didn't really make a good case at all for the program reducing jobs and slowing the economy. 

Unless you are going to tell me that people don't have to do maintenance on new vehicles, I really am not getting the gist of the guy's claim that the aftermarket part industry is significantly hurt by the clunkers program.  The new car maintenance is just under warranty instead of coming out of the owner's pocket.

By completely destroying so many cars before their time it seriously hurts the future availability of cheap junkyard parts. The people most effected by this are poor people, who perform repairs themselves with junkyard parts because they can not afford new parts and shop repairs.

This also hurts companies who refurbish the parts that are sold to repair facilities people know and trust. Some may not know this, but if you drive a car over 7 years old and buy a replacement part that is not labeled "NOS" (new old stock), that part was most likely in a junkyard at one time and professionally refurbished for re-distribution. 

Essential1 wrote:

BUT

You gotta be kidding me,  right ?

I completely agree with andy, this program fooled people into trading in a vehicle they OWNED for a monthly payment and the possibility of repossession.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

cguy610 wrote:
ispeakjewleo wrote:
30t6p3b.gif

By completely destroying so many cars before their time it seriously hurts the future availability of cheap junkyard parts. The people most effected by this are poor people, who perform repairs themselves with junkyard parts because they can not afford new parts and shop repairs.

This also hurts companies who refurbish the parts that are sold to repair facilities people know and trust. Some may not know this, but if you drive a car over 7 years old and buy a replacement part that is not labeled "NOS" (new old stock), that part was most likely in a junkyard at one time and professionally refurbished for re-distribution. 

Are you saying that instead of people going to junkyards and doing repairs themselves, they went to repair shops instead and bought new parts?  (Creating demand for repair shops and new parts)

cguy610 wrote:

cguy610 wrote:

Are you saying that instead of people going to junkyards and doing repairs themselves, they went to repair shops instead and bought new parts?  (Creating demand for repair shops and new parts)

I dont think you get what Im trying to say. 

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "NEW" PARTS FOR (MOST) OLD CARS. Unless you can find "NOS" parts that were manufactured while the car was still in production.

Even when dealerships fix older model cars 90% of the time they use warrantied refurbished parts that were originally taken off of dead cars.

Can you imagine how filthy and cluttered the world would be if there were manufacturing plants still producing parts for every out of production vehicle ever made?
sick.gif

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

idiot run scam that program was.....

they completely junked perfectly good cars, to subsidize da purchase of a car that with TAX DOLLARS, and da majority of american companies didn't even benefit from it, it mostly went to foreign auto makers..and it DEFINITELY hurt da small businesses

that deal and handle used cars and parts because they couldn't touch any of da inventory....and people who know about cars know that da aftermarket industry is 3x larger then da car companies it surrounds.

My man Bogar's thoughts on the issue shortly after it went down. This dude is the walking embodiment of "Swag".
pimp.gif

another well intentioned government program without the foresight of unintended consequences. the government should stay out of the business of trying to shape the market by subsidizing consumers. this cash for clunkers program is only one of too many government subsidized programs that are idiotic. when government figures out they should get out of the way and let the market decide what products succede or fail we will be a whole lot better off.

Originally Posted by peks03

another well intentioned government program without the foresight of unintended consequences. the government should stay out of the business of trying to shape the market by subsidizing consumers. this cash for clunkers program is only one of too many government subsidized programs that are idiotic. when government figures out they should get out of the way and let the market decide what products succede or fail we will be a whole lot better off.
this

Originally Posted by ninjahood

this
said by people on an internet that wouldn't exist without government.

Originally Posted by MrBrown

Get mad at the people.....

salty for no reason
I know the government offered the deal, but it wasn't like car owners had to give up their car. It was still their choice. I did get a brand new Camry because of this deal, so I'm kind of biased.

Some more cars that were trashed

1987 Buick GNX

1999 Mercedes C43 AMG

1992 GMC Typhoon

1997 Rolls-Royce Continental R

2006 Roush Stage 3 F-150

eek.gif

SMH

this
Word to bailing out GM.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

this
Word to bailing out GM.
laugh.gif
bailing out car companies that were handcuffed by da UAW that provided hundreds of thousands of american jobs and UNTOLD amounts of jobs in da

aftermarket sector was a DROP in da bucket compared to what da government gave to da banks which started da whole mess in da first place..and let's not forget they STILL not letting

ppl borrow like that.

Back
Top Bottom