Cavs' Supporting Cast vs. Lakers' Supporting Cast

The accepted rhetoric here is that Kobe has the more talented supporting class, I agree, but I don't think people are giving enough credit to LeBron'ssupporting cast.

The Lakers have a core talent of Bynum, Pau and Odom to surround Kobe. All three players have tremendous length and can score around the basket. Not only thatbut Pau has begun to play some very productive help defence. Lamar has accepted his role on the bench and Bynum continues to grow as a player. In the triangleall three players represent a tough match-up for almost any team.

The Cavs core rests upon Moe Williams, Delonte West and Zydruanas Ilgauskas. Moe is doing the same things he's been doing for the last three years. Thedifference is that now Moe plays defence, and he plays on a team that receives television time. Delonte was cherished by Ainge before he was included in thetrade for Ray Allen. Delonte is a unique guard who plays relentless defence and is a force against opposing guards on offence around the basket. Ilgauskasprovides a solid center presence, can score, and helps facilitate the motion within the Cavs offence.

The Lakers core appears to be more talented because they make sexier plays, , they can all pass and run the break, but I don't really there is a realdifference in basketball talent right now. What the Lakers have in offencive potency the Cavs account for in defensive hustle. The Lakers are more talented onoffence, but the Cavs players (Moe, Delonte and Z specifically) bring a tremendous amount of hustle on defence: something that is noticably missing from theLaker roster.

No the Cavs don't have a bunch of All-Stars, but ask the Spurs how many All-Stars they needed to win their first couple championships. Tony and Manu werechampions before they were All-Stars. Chauncey too. The Cavs have effective role players, while that doesn't sound sexy, it does win games.

The advantage for the Lakers appear when we begin to examine their depth: Brown, Ariza, Farmar, Fisher, Walton, Vujacic. The Cavs reserves aren't asappealing; Gibson, Varejao, Kinsey and Hickson. This doesn't really need much analysis, the Lakers simply have a deeper line of talent coming off thebench.

But in the playoffs most coaches tend to run an 8-man rotation outside of blow-outs. While the Lakers have a high-powered offence, their supporting cast lacksthe kind of defencive utility and hustle showcased by the Cavs. And as defence tends to matter most when it counts, it might appear that LeBron has a morevaluable, yet less talented, supporting cast?

Lakers cast is much better.

But the Cavs team defense > L.A. team defense.

That credit goes to Mike Brown's coaching ability.

Defense wins championships.

Ok this is true now. But funny Bron fans want to act like Kobe always had this.

This is why it's never a good argument it's just hate. Brons cast before this season>>Kobes since 2005.

So really it's almost neck and neck because Bron came in the leauge in what 2003?

Argument dead.

laugh.gif

are people watching the Lakers right now, Sasha looks like a bum and so does Farmar, I'd rather have Gibson then either of those two

lakers look better on paper... but you guys are forgetting that the referees and the NBA also plays on the Cavs...... well at least i think that lebron isgonna be made the champion this year cuz it's "good for the NBA"

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

lakers look better on paper... are better...period.but you guys are forgetting that the referees and the NBA also plays on the Cavs...... well at least i think that lebron is gonna be made the champion this year cuz it's "good for the NBA"

Fixed

damn if the Lakers only had Kwame, then they could have at least #1 overall coming off the bench/on the roster.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

damn if the Lakers only had Kwame, then they could have at least #1 overall coming off the bench/on the roster.

That's the same thing I was thinking. I'm tearful right now...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

Originally Posted by dyyhard

That's the same thing I was thinking. I'm tearful right now...
frown.gif
laugh.gif
Kwame would show Joe Smith who's the biggerdisappointment hands down. Lebron - well he would have to respect the "serviceable" center's untapped potential. The Pistons' better hopethey can get that untapped potential from him before he retires at the end of this summer.

Kobe has the better supporting cast.

People like to say how Lebron supporters act like Kobe always had it, well, he did. He just needed time.

It's no mistake Bynum started balling all of a sudden with Sasha. The same dude who became the Machine overnight. Farmar, for all his faults, was prettysolid at the same time as well.

I mean, there were heads in an uproar when it was reported that the Lakers turned down Bynum for Kidd. Now Bynum is untradeable.

You add Pau into the mix, head and shoulders above anybody on the Cavs team with Ariza, and then, yeah.

It's not as close as people think. Lakers have the more talented squad, while the Cavs have the perfect blend of complementary role players who all buyinto the concept of defense.

This is the end result.

It's just because Lebron's bench isn't as deep as Kobe's.

I mean even Shannon Brown doing his thing.

Back
Top Bottom