Cells from aborted babies used in food?

For several years anti-abortion advocates have been warning that a new technology for enhancing flavors such as sweetness and saltiness uses aborted fetal cells in the process.

The biotech company using this novel process, Senomyx, has signed contracts with Pepsi, Ajinomoto Co. (the maker of aspartame and meat glue), Nestlé and other food and beverage companies over the past several years.

The primary goal for many of these processed food companies is to make foods and beverages tasty while reducing sugar and salt content.

While Senomyx refuses to disclose the details of the process, its patent applications indicate that part of the secret indeed involves the use of human kidney cells, known as HEK293, originating from an aborted baby.

It’s worth noting that no kidney cells, or part thereof, are actually IN the finished product.4 Rather they’re part of the process used to discern new flavors, which will be discussed below.

That said, to many, this is still “over the line.” Two years ago, anti-abortion groups launched boycott campaigns against Pepsi Co., urging them to reconsider using flavorings derived from a process involving the use of aborted embryonic kidney cells.

Whatever your personal convictions might be on the issue of using biological material from an aborted fetus, the issue of whether or not biotech-constructed flavor enhancers are safe or not remains...

Full Article

Thoughts?

i heard the flavorings in candy are made from Beaver Pee, don't ask me why :x

Castoreum (pronunciation:ohwell:kæsˈtɔriəm/) is the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature North American Beaver (Castor canadensis) and the European Beaver (Castor fiber). Within the zoological realm, castoreum is the yellowish secretion of the castor sac in combination with the beaver's urine, used during scent marking of territory.[1][2] Both male and female beavers possess a pair of castor sacs and a pair of anal glands located in two cavities under the skin between the pelvis and the base of the tail.[3] The castor sacs are not true glands (endocrine or exocrine) on a cellular level, hence references to these structures as preputial glands or castor glands are misnomers.[4]

Today, it is used as a tincture in some perfumes[5] and as a food additive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum

This really doesn't make me feel any certain way at all. 
ohwell.gif

what do they call it, "almost baby food"?

I'm well aware of how unfunny that was 8)

Last edited:
It says in the article they're using cloned cells from an aborted fetus from 1970. Not to mention the cells are only used as an indicator of whether or not the artificial flavors will be liked. If you're against this than you are probably against all cancer research too, word to Henrietta Lacks.

i dont wanna consume anything that has traces of what is supposed to be a human being. Thats just weird af to me

Last edited:
It says in the article they're using cloned cells from an aborted fetus from 1970. Not to mention the cells are only used as an indicator of whether or not the artificial flavors will be liked. If you're against this than you are probably against all cancer research too, word to Henrietta Lacks.
Again like I said... A OP sort of used a slightly exaggerated title

Back
Top Bottom