Chicago heads- where to get cheap parking?

I'm going to the CHI a few days for St Pattys day- driving into town.  I don't feel like paying 50 a day to leave my car there, so where are my options to park my car at?  Can I just leave it at the airport and cab it?  Or other options for lots in town??  Thanks for the heads up!

In the city, you want to shoot for that early morning special for $14 a day. Otherwise, people rent out parking spots on craigslist all of the time.

But in Chicago you don't need a car at all and it is actually a million times less convenient. I believe the cumberland stop on the blueline has cheap or free parking. Blue line is 24 hours, but the cumberland stop is by ohare and about a 35 minute ride from downtown.

My little secret is to find a neighborhood around wickerpark/humboldt with free parking by the western blue line in the city. Make sure its not permit parking, or its not not streetsweeping/plowing day for your side of the road though, Chicago does not play. There will be signs all over the curbs explaining if its permit/free or plow day.

i agree with buggz.. my block in wicker park has free parking with no permit pass needed. parking downtown is damn near impossible & very expensive.

Just don't go too many blocks west of western.
laugh.gif
You can find parking within a couple blocks of western, before Rockwell.

Out of towners are usually easy to spot for the lurkers. Don't get your car broken into either.

You can use my garage lol jk. It all depends what you mean by cheap. Different options. 

Originally Posted by buggz05

laugh.gif
I live West of Western
grin.gif

Airport parking can add up.  It's around $28 a day I believe which is basically the same as if you parked in the garage of your hotel, assuming that is where you will be staying. A cab from the O' Hare to downtown is $45-$50 but once you are downtown you can get basically anywhere you want to go via public trans., cab or on foot. 

Originally Posted by Lou Baton

laugh.gif
I live West of Western
grin.gif

Airport parking can add up.  It's around $28 a day I believe which is basically the same as if you parked in the garage of your hotel, assuming that is where you will be staying. A cab from the O' Hare to downtown is $45-$50 but once you are downtown you can get basically anywhere you want to go via public trans., cab or on foot. 

I live right on Western. Humboldt Park gets worse by the block. You could think you are in a nice neighborhood, and then very quickly you are not. It's not Ogdale Gardens bad, but I'm just trying to help OP out since he is coming from out of town. Dudes are looking for licks around my blocks, because that's where the money is.

Lincoln Park checking in. There is parking right around the corner from me (on Belden, just south of Fullerton and north of Armitage) for about $24/day which includes overnight. I've had a number of visitors since I've moved here and they're happy with it. There are also street meters which are like $16/day from 8AM-9PM. If you're really trying to pinch pennies just park on the street, which is free in many areas.

Originally Posted by Lou Baton

laugh.gif
I live West of Western
grin.gif

I live right on Western. Humboldt Park gets worse by the block. You could think you are in a nice neighborhood, and then very quickly you are not. It's not Ogdale Gardens bad, but I'm just trying to help OP out since he is coming from out of town. Dudes are looking for licks around my blocks, because that's where the money is.
I was joking.  I know how it is.  I live in Logan Square. It definitely varies from block.  All kinds of damn hoodlums around my spot.

Back
Top Bottom