Choose one - Chinese or Mexican food (American for both)

I'm not Mexican but would TEX-MEX fall under the American Mexican food?
If Mexicans chef’d it I’m going yes.

I’ve never been to Mexico but I have been to Cali numerous times and those Mexican restaurants out there are fire. So it’s “authentic” Mexican to me.

Again, can someone explain what American-Mexican is.

Please don't mention stupid fast food chains. Se aren't even considering that to be real good
Burritos, Quesadillas, Fajitas, Nachos, etc. My boy would say, if it's not a "plate"-type of meal, it's not from Mexico.

its basically mexican food with american influence
tex mex is food that started from the mexicans living in texas using mexican recipes with texan ingredients

usually equates to a lot of cheese and stuff like brisket on nachos
any of these tacos with all these creative ingredients is basically american mexican food
So we would count Tex-Mex? I figured as much.

If so, Tex-Mex might be greater than any other food group in the country. I would put it slightly above Mediterranean.

Yea, as I mentioned I am not even discussing fast food spots. That isn't food in my opinion. That is another category of edibles.

This scenario would make more sense to explain my argument.

If I saw two food trucks selling Tacos.

Truck 1: Black Folks from Alabama putting their twist on Tacos
Truck 2: Mexican Folks making authentic Tacos

I do not go into the situation assuming, or giving blind faith, that Truck #2 TASTES better. I am simply seeking out the better tasting food truck. Truck #2 being pure Mexican doesn't matter when it comes to which one tasting better. It simply gives me an idea of it being more traditional than Truck 1.

So that doesn't matter, TO ME. That is why I say authenticity means nothing if all presenting parties provide fresh food and have good food

What if you saw 2 potato salad trucks.

Truck 1 : white folks from Connecticut putting their twist on potato salad
Truck 2: black folks from Georgia making authentic potato salad.

Both using the best, freshest ingredients

Please do not lie.

Please do not lie.
1. I don't know what authentic potato salad is. So that erases any connection THIS situation has to the situation I provided.

2. I would have to LOOK at the potato salad first, before I make a decision.

Leather and broccoli.

The biggest issue with Chinese-American food is you don't know WTF it is. Too much mystery meat. (Pause).
I think this a tired-*** stigma tbh. If you're in a big city and go to reputable restaurants, you shouldn't worry about this.

Please do not lie.
Potato salad is a dish made from boiled potatoes and a variety of other ingredients. It is generally considered a side dish, as it usually accompanies the main course. Potato salad is widely believed to have originated in Germany from where it spread widely throughout Europe and later to European colonies.[1][2] American potato salad most likely originated from recipes brought to the U.S. by way of German and European settlers during the nineteenth century.[2][1] American-style potato salad is served cold or at room temperature. Ingredients often include mayonnaise or a mayonnaise-like substitute (such as yogurt or sour cream), herbs, and vegetables (such as onion and celery).[3] German-style potato salad is generally served warm and is typically made with vinegar or olive oil, herbs and bacon.

By the looks of it, white folks "invented" potato salad, so their style is "authentic." (We see how that looks/works/tastes)

So this goes back to my original point of authenticity is overrated because we know who has the potato salad game on lock

Please do not lie.
Truck 1s potatoe salad prolly got raisins in it. I’m going with truck 2 for my final answer.

This includes dining as well as take-outs as those are still considered restaurants.

I never have to question the legitimacy of meat from ANY Mexican-American spot. (Carry-Out or Sit Down)

However, I HAVE to consider the legitimacy of the meat when eating American-Chinese food at most carry-outs.

You can't argue that.

For that sake, American-Chinese food gets disqualified immEdiately

I think this a tired-*** stigma tbh. If you're in a big city and go to reputable restaurants, you shouldn't worry about this.

More of a myth imo, the stigma comes from hood Chinese restaurants not practicing proper food protection habits. Like washing knives, and not changing the oil in the deep fryer that's used to fry chicken wings etc...

But it's not isolated to just Chinese restaurants though cause I'm from nyc and I'm seen ish even in fancy restaurants as well that will rasie your eyebrow.

More of myth, the stigma comes from hood Chinese restaurants not practicing proper food protection habits. Like washing knives, and not changing the oil in the deep fryer that's used to fry chicken wings etc...

But it's not isolated to just Chinese restaurants though cause I'm from nyc and I'm seen ish even in fancy restaurants as well that will rasie your eyebrow.

Yea, as I mentioned I am not even discussing fast food spots. That isn't food in my opinion. That is another category of edibles.

This scenario would make more sense to explain my argument.

If I saw two food trucks selling Tacos.

Truck 1: Black Folks from Alabama putting their twist on Tacos
Truck 2: Mexican Folks making authentic Tacos

I do not go into the situation assuming, or giving blind faith, that Truck #2 TASTES better. I am simply seeking out the better tasting food truck. Truck #2 being pure Mexican doesn't matter when it comes to which one tasting better. It simply gives me an idea of it being more traditional than Truck 1.

So that doesn't matter, TO ME. That is why I say authenticity means nothing if all presenting parties provide fresh food and have good food
fair enough but "doesn't matter, TO ME" is an important detail. :lol:
It almost sounded like you were arguing it as fact earlier. Some would go into the situation assuming Truck 2 had better tacos. Assuming the person has had tacos before, they have a frame of reference on what a "normal" for lack of a better word, taco tastes like versus a taco that has an Alabama influence which is different. Could be good, could be a horrible twist. Not saying Truck 1 is not capable of making good or even better food. Just saying I could see why people would have the assumption that one is better than the other before actually trying it.

Also Truck 1 would be an example of American Mexican food I think.

More of a myth imo, the stigma comes from hood Chinese restaurants not practicing proper food protection habits. Like washing knives, and not changing the oil in the deep fryer that's used to fry chicken wings etc...

Nah I think it comes from them actually cooking with dogs and cats in China.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tined-for-restaurants/?utm_term=.5bbe268a3649

I never have to question the legitimacy of meat from ANY Mexican-American spot. (Carry-Out or Sit Down)

However, I HAVE to consider the legitimacy of the meat when eating American-Chinese food at most carry-outs.

You can't argue that.

For that sake, American-Chinese food gets disqualified immEdiately
I think many think this because other animals may be a delicacy in certain parts of China. But, I hear you, there were incidents in which a restaurant would use cat-meat or some other animal in place of pork, beef, or chicken. I just think in this day and age, we don't have to worry about things like that as restaurants are under a bigger spotlight because of resources Yelp, google-ratings, Zagat, etc...and cities are a lot stricter when it comes to food safety. I do see things from your angle though because it has happened in the past.

the messican in me is gonna choose LA mexican food all day. Chinese food bomb af too though.

It's no argument, Mexico is more ethnically diverse than China.

Here you go champ.

It's no argument, Mexico is more ethnically diverse than China.

Here you go champ.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ethnic_groups_in_Mexico

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_China_and_Taiwan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrecognized_ethnic_groups_in_China

you see how easy it is cherry picking articles/stats to your liking?

Back
Top Bottom