Chris Webber close to returning.

Source: Webber considering return to play for Pistons
By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: December 20, 2007, 8:43 PM ET

Fourteen-year veteran Chris Webber is close to returning to the NBA, with the Pistons his likely destination, a source close to Webber told ESPN.com.

"Look for him to be back the first week of January," the source said.

The Boston Celtics, Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers had also inquired about Webber's services, with the Heat intensifying their efforts after backup center Alonzo Mourning suffered an apparent season-ending injury to his patellar tendon in a game at Atlanta Wednesday night. But for Webber, a Michigan native, his familiarity with the Pistons players and coach Flip Saunders' system after playing there last season appears to make them the most desirable team.

Webber signed with the Pistons on Jan. 16, 2007, after being waived by the Philadelphia 76ers. In 43 games with Detroit, Webber averaged 11.3 points and 6.7 rebounds.

The Pistons currently have the maximum 15 players on their roster after trading Nazr Mohammed to the Charlotte Bobcats in exchange for Primoz Brezec and Walter Herrmann last week, so they would have to make another move to free a spot for Webber.

J.A. Adande is the author of "The Best Los Angeles Sports Arguments." He joined ESPN.com as an NBA columnist in August 2007 after 10 years with the Los Angeles Times. Click here to e-mail J.A.

pimp.gif

I'll just be glad to see him back on the court, even if it with the Pistons again.

Same.

C-Webb will always be one of my favorite players despite the ton of hate he gets here on NT.
laugh.gif

What this really means is that the Pistons look like a winning team again, and that is why he is going there.

Frontrunner.

It's cool that he's still playing. One of the best passing big men of all-time. Although it is depressing to watch him limp up and down the court.

Kings need to sign him again, let him teach Hawes the ropes of being a mobile passing big man..................maybe not by example
laugh.gif
but at least in amentor kinda deal

Houston needs this guy more than anybody, and i'm sure he wouldn't mind coming to a Championship contender.
but seriously Chuck Hayes is the starting PF
ohwell.gif

Maaaaaaaan I like what we have now. I would say it couldn't hurt BUT he looked like a 72 year old man in the playoffs. We are younger and more athleticnow, Joe! Give Amir Johnson those minutes.

Lmao. If Kings get C-Webb again that'd be so
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'm glad to see C-Webb trying to get back on the court

lol, C-Webb on his Roger Clemens nowdays...

wouldnt mind him on the Pistons again I guess, would rather have him than not have him. But they've been doing everything to get Amir Johnson time, thismore would just further hurt that...

I'm pretty sure that this whole thing with C-Webb has been worked out for sometime. It's just now getting to the media, but it would totally makesense to sit Webber for half the year and let those knees rest and then get him ready to go for the 2nd half/playoffs. He was very reliable in the firstcouple of months after he was traded last year, but then started a decline. Hopefully he's been working hard on his game.

Plus when Stuckey comes back the Pistons will be able to move Flip Murray and they could get another big body inside for some more added depth.

No for the Mavericks I guess.
frown.gif

I wonder if C-Webb would be interested in Detroit if they still weren't doing well.

Wish him the best though. Good guy.

Webber is over-rated and too old. The Pistons should let their younger players play, as they can actually make a play and are active on D.

Back
Top Bottom