Class of 2003. What are you guys doing right now in life ?

This thread is great. Good to see how my fellow 2003 grads(and others close) are doing in life these days.

'03 definitely feels like it was more than 7 years ago.

I went to college right after HS, then grad school right after that. Received my M.S.I.S. last May. Still can't find a decent IT job in NYC.
frown.gif

For those looking into getting their Masters, I'll say this: Don't do it to please anyone else but you. Make sure it's something you want because you're passionate about the area of study, not because you aren't sure what to do after you graduate. A lot of times I look back and think to myself how much better off I would've been had I opted to work right after undergrad and gain some experience.

Either way, do what makes you happy and don't chase the money.

Originally Posted by WstCoastGotti

What up 03

Graduated a couple years back from Arizona State - worked for the Suns and Coyotes (sports) out of college and am back in the bay working for the GS Warriors for the past year.  Moved up the latter a few times but had to grind to do it.  In mad debt right now but after this season I should be all paid up and then some
pimp.gif

What I have learned is that what you study in college doesnt mean much if you arent a doctor, lawyer, architect, engineer, etc where its a specific trade.  Its about working your tail off once you get in the door and not letting off the gas pedal.  Outwork your peers... I had 0 connections and no money - this was the only way I got to this point.

yep

I graduated HS in 2003, graduated from SDSU in 08 while living at home. Summer 09 I went to San Francisco with 1100.00 to try and find a job and make it out here. Since then I've taken a sales job with a company that everyone in NorCal knows of and I'm en route to make 60-70k this year. I now have my own spot (was living with roomies) and I'm anxious to see what the future holds.

Originally Posted by CollegeKicks

'03 definitely feels like it was more than 7 years ago.

I went to college right after HS, then grad school right after that. Received my M.S.I.S. last May. Still can't find a decent IT job in NYC.
frown.gif

For those looking into getting their Masters, I'll say this: Don't do it to please anyone else but you. Make sure it's something you want because you're passionate about the area of study, not because you aren't sure what to do after you graduate. A lot of times I look back and think to myself how much better off I would've been had I opted to work right after undergrad and gain some experience.

Either way, do what makes you happy and don't chase the money.
i now refuse to attend class

yeah i was doing pretty good for myself.
went to KU, didn't finish only like 30hrs. from completion (family issues)
moved back home in 07 was making 40-50k at AT&T til sept. 09, got canned.
the last year has been complete b.s.
now i'm at a dead end job Citibank (1/2 the pay i was making)... wishing my finaid. would've gone through this semester so i could quit and finish school but it didn't
*kanye shrug*
its whatever... i'm alive and healthy so i guess things could be worse.
but the last year for me seriously gets the (-_________-)
btw no longer living at home ... moved out 6 mo. after moving back 

class of 03 - wow it has been a long time...

i graduated with a finance degree may 2008 and have been working at an oil and gas company since graduation. i'm currently working full time and going to school part-time to get enough accounting hours to sit for the cpa. it's going to be a stressful couple of years studying and working, but i know it will be worth it.

03 grad here too.. Graudated college in 07, now working as an advisor for a non-profit.. BILLS out the YING YANG,

Damnit, this is going to be me in 5 years. Life is depressing as ##++. 
30t6p3b.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by TiDE619

I graduated HS in 2003, graduated from SDSU in 08 while living at home. Summer 09 I went to San Francisco with 1100.00 to try and find a job and make it out here. Since then I've taken a sales job with a company that everyone in NorCal knows of and I'm en route to make 60-70k this year. I now have my own spot (was living with roomies) and I'm anxious to see what the future holds.

pimp.gif

What did you major in?

class of 05 here, I think a LOT of us are feeling like we are behind our peers. I am not where I thought I would be at 23 but hoping to build my life up and become successful. When I think about my peers, SOME have made it, but a lot are still stuggling, so if you feel alone/behind, don't. This economy sucks

Currently working at a law firm, paying off bills. I just finished applying to law schools so hopefully I'll get in and move on to the next chapter in life.

Whats up NT i graduated from HS in 06 and i think about this everyday. Life is def not going the way i planned..well nothing is giving with out hard work but some times it can take a toll on you and become discouraging...

graduated hs in 2003, college in 2008, about to graduate law school in May, then hopefully practicing somewhere.

making and performing music on the side, smashing bad women, and laughing and counting money with @AntonLavey in my free time.

i'd say i made out pretty well.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by aceofjays

I've been roughing it as of late. Graduated last May. Took some time to work and I've come to realize, I need a masters degree. So, hopefully this time next year I'll be preparing to work toward a Masters in Public Health. On another note, anyone take the GRE? How hard was it and how hard did you study?
I took the GRE back in March. I had to score above the 60th percentile in one of the categories to be accepted for my Masters program. I boughta GRE prep book from the local Barnes And Noble and did 2-3 exams and went in and took it. I'm naturally good at math and my writing skill has improveddramatically since HS. The only subject I did horrible in was the part where they used words no one has heard of and you have to do analogies with them. Ididn't study for that part at all because I knew I can meet the requirement with the math and essay portion. And I did.

It was computerized and calculator wasn't allowed. It was pretty much like the SAT in HS.

The Fame - Coming out of high school, I had no idea what I wanted to be. I originally majored in Biology with plans on going to med school to follow in myfather's footstep. I changed that plan in my junior year and switched major. I didn't have the drive to become an actor or a designer or anything ofthat nature out of high school. A bachelor was needed at the minimum or else it would be a disgrace to my whole family, as everyone has at least gotten aB.A./B.S. Education is pretty important to us.

just a question: what masters program did you go to and what degree, if you dont mind me asking? experiences/thoughts? thinking of applying

Originally Posted by CJDynasty

Graduated from Law school in May. Took the bar this summer. Started job with the DoD 2 weeks ago. Renting a 2br town home. Looking to buy a house (or condo) and whip next year.
#Respect

Graduated HS in '06
wink.gif
, completed undergrad in May 2010. Had an offer with a prestigious marketing firm in NY, stupidly turned it down because I received a verbal offer from a large consulting firm which was actually withdrawn for no particular reason. Went through the worst period of my life for the past 6 months looking desperately for permanent FT employment (I probably applied for literally 500 jobs).  Maintained decent temp-jobs within my field (God provides a way). Last week got a full-time offer from an investment consulting firm, Merry Christmas to me
pimp.gif

My advice to anyone struggling with unemployment, underemployment, or "what's next?": Patience and persistance. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

Originally Posted by justChillmann

Originally Posted by CJDynasty

Graduated from Law school in May. Took the bar this summer. Started job with the DoD 2 weeks ago. Renting a 2br town home. Looking to buy a house (or condo) and whip next year.
#Respect

Graduated HS in '06
wink.gif
, completed undergrad in May 2010. Had an offer with a prestigious marketing firm in NY, stupidly turned it down because I received a verbal offer from a large consulting firm which was actually withdrawn for no particular reason. Went through the worst period of my life for the past 6 months looking desperately for permanent FT employment (I probably applied for literally 500 jobs).  Maintained decent temp-jobs within my field (God provides a way). Last week got a full-time offer from an investment consulting firm, Merry Christmas to me
pimp.gif

My advice to anyone struggling with unemployment, underemployment, or "what's next?": Patience and persistance. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

Congrats.
pimp.gif

Do you have any tips for applying, such as trying to contact hiring managers through LinkedIn? I just graduated from college, and I can't even get a response for my job applications.

class of '08, in my 3rd year of university right now, marks aint that great but other than that life's going alright

Graduated 03. Went to college. Transferred after 3 semesters and wound up graduating from my new school in 4 and a half years (Dec 2007) because I lost credits in the transfer. Average GPA and grades, but I had above average experience working/interning every Summer except one when I was playing football all Summer at school. Got a few decent jobs and a handful of dead end jobs, but I wound up waiting it out and accepting a job in NYC in Sept 08 at big-name company. Still happy at the job and living with two roommates in Manhattan.

Two things I realized when entering the real world:
1) Grades and GPA mean absolutely nothing. At least, in the media field (I applied and interviewed at many major companies; MTV, Sony, NBC, etc). All experience. I stand by that statement. However, it obviously counts if you're pursuing higher education above undergrad...and I guess maybe other job fields?

2) Waiting around for a job is the most frustrating experience ever. I got to a point where I finally realized that and then pursued other things in the meantime - I worked a part time job, created a successful site (not the one in my sig), and freelanced (photography, writing) for local publications and sites.

Originally Posted by NEX87

Whats up NT i graduated from HS in 06 and i think about this everyday. Life is def not going the way i planned..well nothing is giving with out hard work but some times it can take a toll on you and become discouraging...

Originally Posted by KenJi714

People who graduated from HS in 2003. How's your life so far ? I wonder what you guys been doing. For me, it's been 6 years long from graduation. I'm done with college but i'm stuck at a 9-5 low pay job that i hate. I've lost a lot of close friends. I feel mad old and still driving my old car that i had since senior year ftl. Money hasn't been stacking up right. Thinking about going back to school and get a master or even get a second job or something like that. My life didn't turn out right.
30t6p3b.gif

what exactly did you study in college? What job are you currently at that you hate? Where did it go wrong? Lastly what advice do you have for young people?

This should help all the young people from making the same mistake you did.

Back
Top Bottom