Coaching Youth Basketball

So I checked and couldn’t find a thread to just talk about coaching the kids. Boom! Here we are.

I’d like to use this thread to just talk about successes and failures in coaching, useful drills and mentoring the kids outside of the game.

This is the second year coaching 7/8th grade boys basketball at the school. We’re currently rolling, 7-1, in 2nd place in conference. I feel we have a strong chance to win this and compete in the city playoffs. I got three kids that I know will play in HS. 4-5 more that have talent they need to further develop.

Where are my fellow coaches at?

I've coached for 8 years and am a Varsity 1st Assistant and Freshman Coach.

I spend 5 yrs at the MS level and 3 now at a Title 1 HS 6A ( Texas UIL) school

Our success/advantage is our preparation, discipline and effort every day.

Good luck, Ant. Baseball coach here. Never coached hoops before but major respect to all coaches out there.

I've coached for 8 years and am a Varsity 1st Assistant and Freshman Coach.

I spend 5 yrs at the MS level and 3 now at a Title 1 HS 6A ( Texas UIL) school

Our success/advantage is our preparation, discipline and effort every day.

Do you have any tips? Is this your full time position?

How long have you been coaching baseball? What age level?

I will be aging myself here, but I have been coaching baseball for 17 years now.

2001-2004: Pony Baseball (13-14 year olds)
2005-2008: JV High School baseball and Colt baseball (15-16 year olds)...seasons dont overlap so was able to do both.
2009-present: Varsity High School baseball and Palomino Baseball (19u)....seasons dont overlap either.

Palomino is my favorite of all that I coach(ed). I love coaching junior college level players. So fun and its very high level baseball. Good stuff.

I’m full time Air Force so I coach summer league for 3rd-5th graders. Just pretty much teaching fundamentals but all the kids want to do is scrimmage, I would be interested in coaching middle school but not sure what path to take. Are you a full time teacher?

Do you have any tips? Is this your full time position?

Yes and I teach freshman Social Studies.

Tips: (Some things I got from listening to a clinic with Buzz Williams (one of my favs) )

1. You're in the service industry. Act like it.

2. Know your personal "why." Your primary motivation as a coach should be something that drives you everyday. Easier said than done. Trust me I know.

I have to center/remind myself all the time that these are "kids" and they don't know what they don't know.

I will contribute more as this :pimp: thread grows

I'm not a teacher either. My girls go to the school, and I decided to help out. The HC quit and the job was all mine. Last year was tough because it was my first year back and because I took a job after making the commitment. I let them down by not being present for weekday practices. That team lacked in discipline big time. Everyone has noticed the difference with this group. I believe that because it's only one voice. We even worked out over the holiday break.

Back
Top Bottom