Collector Series

I believe Jordan brand started the remastered program in 2015. Although, it is said they have changed the composition of the polyurethane midsole to make it last longer then the original, why don’t they take the more radical approach and replace the polyurethane with phylon. To me it’s pointless from a collectors prospective to invest in something with a shelf life of 15 years. Why not simply replace all polyurethane with phylon midsoles and compensate for comfort in upgraded insoles. I believe the Jordan line especially 1-14 will stand the test of time, regardless off hype, why not reward the people with a product that will last a life time. What do you think? Here is my 2001 Jordan XI pair looks damn good for a 20 year old shoe
4D614508-F28E-4590-A44D-2B867CDDC987.jpeg

On the other hand here is my VI from the same time. Everything still in decent condition besides the midsole. Air units still filled and traction on the rubber still good, Nubuck upper showing some wear but still good condition.

Attachments

• D771900A-FCED-4507-BC4B-510E00650BE4.jpeg
    D771900A-FCED-4507-BC4B-510E00650BE4.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 4E68CB21-B6F5-4904-9B2E-225BBFDDE5ED.jpeg
    4E68CB21-B6F5-4904-9B2E-225BBFDDE5ED.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 28
  • A57799EE-7542-41F3-A956-F7E69CC5895F.jpeg
    A57799EE-7542-41F3-A956-F7E69CC5895F.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 296
  • 920E3787-C169-42D7-B4B2-61B15FE60774.jpeg
    920E3787-C169-42D7-B4B2-61B15FE60774.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 297
deserved it’s own thread ?
deserved it’s own thread ?
hopefully it’s starts a discussion of what is possible in terms of production. Maybe inform some people who are new to collecting. Maybe someone from Jordan brand listens. I’d love to have the same confidence in my Jordan 2-9 , as my 1, 10-14, that it will still be enjoyed in future.
If there is already a thread similar then they can move it to the appropriate thread.

I believe Jordan brand started the remastered program in 2015. Although, it is said they have changed the composition of the polyurethane midsole to make it last longer then the original, why don’t they take the more radical approach and replace the polyurethane with phylon. To me it’s pointless from a collectors prospective to invest in something with a shelf life of 15 years. Why not simply replace all polyurethane with phylon midsoles and compensate for comfort in upgraded insoles. I believe the Jordan line especially 1-14 will stand the test of time, regardless off hype, why not reward the people with a product that will last a life time. What do you think? Here is my 2001 Jordan XI pair looks damn good for a 20 year old shoe
4D614508-F28E-4590-A44D-2B867CDDC987.jpeg

I think you are overlooking the fact that Nike/JB don’t want you to buy a retro once and keep it for 15+ years. They want you to either wear it and replace it or just hold onto it and buy the next retro of said release. It’s the same reason we got Jumpman-branded Bred 4s in 2012 and NA-branded Bred 4s in 2019. Hell, this even happened with 2011 and 2018 BC3s and now the 2018 BC3s look outdated because they improved the cut of the 3s in 2020... I don’t think any of this is coincidental on Nike/JB’s part, they know how to make money and ensure we buy the same shoes over and over lol

^ same thing happen with the black infrareds in 2014 and again 2019...didnt bother me one bit cuz i sold the 2014 pair immediately once i heard they were dropping again with nike air... i still have my 01 bred 11s and wear them every now and then... other than creasing on the patent they hold up really well....i ended up selling my cdp and 2012 pair cuz i never wore them and would wear my 01s instead... this year though i retired the 01 just so i can wear this 2019 pair lol

I think you are overlooking the fact that Nike/JB don’t want you to buy a retro once and keep it for 15+ years. They want you to either wear it and replace it or just hold onto it and buy the next retro of said release. It’s the same reason we got Jumpman-branded Bred 4s in 2012 and NA-branded Bred 4s in 2019. Hell, this even happened with 2011 and 2018 BC3s and now the 2018 BC3s look outdated because they improved the cut of the 3s in 2020... I don’t think any of this is coincidental on Nike/JB’s part, they know how to make money and ensure we buy the same shoes over and over lol
I totally agree with you! From a business stand point it makes sense what they are doing, I guess what Iam trying to get at is create a new Line the “Collector Series” same basic design just replacing the midsoles that won’t deteriorate. Jordan brand can increase the price and cap production numbers where they can get their desired profit margin. Or take non- refundable deposits directly from consumers so they can’t take a loss. I would like to see the relationship between Jordan Brand and consumers to be more direct and eliminate the middle man “reseller”. I know they help create the demand and the hype because of scarcity but the losers are the consumers. There’s always a better way right?

^ same thing happen with the black infrareds in 2014 and again 2019...didnt bother me one bit cuz i sold the 2014 pair immediately once i heard they were dropping again with nike air... i still have my 01 bred 11s and wear them every now and then... other than creasing on the patent they hold up really well....i ended up selling my cdp and 2012 pair cuz i never wore them and would wear my 01s instead... this year though i retired the 01 just so i can wear this 2019 pair lol

Yeah 1s are a little different because:

1. No polyurethane midsoles-so the tooling essentially stays intact since you don’t have to worry about compounds drying out, becoming unstable, and crumbling. The only thing you really have to be concerned about is the leather drying out and cracking, but even that doesn’t happen after a LOOOOONG time. The air bags will probably break but you can hardly feel those anyways if you wear 1s casually (nor should you be playing basketball in them anyways)

2. OG 1s don’t have glaring differences from the OGs like a lot of the other, past retros do (I.e. entire boot shape of 2s, Jumpman Air on 3s, toebox on 4s, messed up tooling on 9s, etc. etc.). The shoe height and swoosh are really the only current issues with OGs (and the new 85 cut has even addressed the former issue). Differences in leather might be an issue but, overall, the 1s are pretty consistent to the OG aside from height and swoosh.

Yeah 1s are a little different because:

1. No polyurethane midsoles-so the tooling essentially stays intact since you don’t have to worry about compounds drying out, becoming unstable, and crumbling. The only thing you really have to be concerned about is the leather drying out and cracking, but even that doesn’t happen after a LOOOOONG time. The air bags will probably break but you can hardly feel those anyways if you wear 1s casually (nor should you be playing basketball in them anyways)

2. OG 1s don’t have glaring differences from the OGs like a lot of the other, past retros do (I.e. entire boot shape of 2s, Jumpman Air on 3s, toebox on 4s, messed up tooling on 9s, etc. etc.). The shoe height and swoosh are really the only current issues with OGs (and the new 85 cut has even addressed the former issue). Differences in leather might be an issue but, overall, the 1s are pretty consistent to the OG aside from height and swoosh.
Makes sense that JB is pumping out (1’s) the colors and with frequency and consumers are eating it up because they know they can count on them to be investments in the future. Being frugal I don’t mind the mids, my first pair was the 2001 navy/white/ silver swoosh limited I think mine was #1725 loved those shoes and wore the soles to the ground. Looked on stock x and the go for over a grand dead stock. I think I got mine from Eastbay for like a $100 bucks.

One other factor is the visible air unit featured on AJs 3-6.

Air units are usually top or bottom loaded with phylon midsoles, whereas they are ENCAPSULATED into PU. I dont know how you'd do a visible window with top/bottom loaded units.

And for the record, they did switch to full phylon midsoles for the VII, with a top loaded full-length air unit. Have you ever seen a retro VII crumble? Exactly. The OG VII was weird in that the outer wall of the midsole, what you could see/touch, was phylon, but the internal part was still PU.

This idea crossed my mind in the mid-00s after they went away from the OG style PU that was soft and comfy, but yellowed and crumbled.

They can encapsulate air unit into Phylon as well ..... Air Dynamic Flight Huarache 1992 for example .

I agree on your point , this problem is the reason i sold all my shoes with PU back in 2010 and only focused on Jordan XI,XII,XIII but it's impossible not to make exception for III,IV,V,VI that i tend to rock right away and keep the phylon shoes for later .

Keep in mind the shoes we are talking were designed with specs in different compound key points ... weight / strenght / softness / rigidity ....

If you took the XI for example .... there's also the shank plate (real carbon fiber or not ) who add rigidity .

Air units are usually top or bottom loaded with phylon midsoles, whereas they are ENCAPSULATED into PU. I dont know how you'd do a visible window with top/bottom loaded units.

And for the record, they did switch to full phylon midsoles for the VII, with a top loaded full-length air unit. Have you ever seen a retro VII crumble? Exactly. The OG VII was weird in that the outer wall of the midsole, what you could see/touch, was phylon, but the internal part was still PU.

This idea crossed my mind in the mid-00s after they went away from the OG style PU that was soft and comfy, but yellowed and crumbled.
This man knows his ****. Thanks to you I learned that I could wear some 22 year old shoes and not worry about them crumbling. I’m enjoying wearing some DS OG 13s that I just picked up! That leather!!

Thanks for confirming that about the 7’s did they do that for the 8’s and 9’s also? Change to Phylon Midsoles?

Thanks for confirming that about the 7’s did they do that for the 8’s and 9’s also? Change to Phylon Midsoles?
Nah. At least not for the 02-03 8s and 9s.

And I’m pretty sure the current 8s and 9s are still PU.

Keep in mind the PU might be cheaper to produce as well.

Nah. At least not for the 02-03 8s and 9s.

And I’m pretty sure the current 8s and 9s are still PU.

Keep in mind the PU might be cheaper to produce as well.

How about the 07 Aqua & Playoff 8's?

MY 2007 metallic 5's crumbled on me a few weeks ago and i did wear them enough threw the years .

How about the 07 Aqua & Playoff 8's?

MY 2007 metallic 5's crumbled on me a few weeks ago and i did wear them enough threw the years .
It’s when, not if, in regards to crumbling.

I know I stopped wearing my 07 8s when they started falling apart, but I can’t quite remember if it was crumbling or sole separation. Either way, I’m 99% sure they are PU as well.

The remastered thing was like that confirmation but the Red Cement III update was the nail in the coffin. There's no more denying their affinity for marketing and making money over what the consumer wants/has been asking for.

If we're being real, the FIRST sign of confirmation was back in like 99/00 when they started giving us the JM on retro plus'. Though it was understandable, nobody asked for that. Then they ran with it and put it all over OG's too.

The remastered thing was like that confirmation but the Red Cement III update was the nail in the coffin. There's no more denying their affinity for marketing and making money over what the consumer wants/has been asking for.

If we're being real, the FIRST sign of confirmation was back in like 99/00 when they started giving us the JM on retro plus'. Though it was understandable, nobody asked for that. Then they ran with it and put it all over OG's too.
Gentry justified it as keeping the OGs value for collectors lmao that’s when I started despising the dude.

Gentry justified it as keeping the OGs value for collectors lmao that’s when I started despising the dude.

Yup and the brand went with it.. He mustve really made it sound good and nostalgic for them to approve that. I'd like to think he made it about JB becoming more of their own brand with essentially having NO Nike branding at all except the license stickers under the box.

Yup and the brand went with it.. He mustve really made it sound good and nostalgic for them to approve that. I'd like to think he made it about JB becoming more of their own brand with essentially having NO Nike branding at all except the license stickers under the box.
If Gentry really came up with that crap justification for no Nike Air and that was the actual reason they did it instead of something that makes more business sense like branding, then I almost have to give the idiot credit. But I think that lame OG value for collector justification was just spin really. Why on earth would a business care about a few OG collectors over making more money? It had to be branding.

Back
Top Bottom