College Athletes & their Majors

Interesting read for all the athetlic nerds/scholarly athlete's out there: http://www.slate.com/id/2288251/
And if you go to Cincinnati, you apparently don't have to major in anything at all—according to the player bios on the Bearcats' Web sitefive out of eight upperclassmen have not yet decided on a major.

All-Motivated Team
I wanted to see if you could actually field a competitive squad of players with nonstandard majors. Turns out you can. I'd even bet these 15 players would contend for the national title.

G: Nolan Smith, Duke, 21.3 ppg, African and African-American studies
G: Jimmer Fredette, BYU, 28.5 ppg, American studies
F: Kyle Singler, Duke, 17.1 ppg, visual arts
F: Noah Dahlman, Wofford, 20.0 ppg, history
C: Festus Ezeli, Vanderbilt, 12.8 ppg, economics

Second Team
G: D.J. Gay, San Diego State, 11.2 ppg, women's studies
G: Ben Hansbrough, Notre Dame, 18.5 ppg, American studies
F: Jamal Olasewere, LIU, 12.9 ppg, computer science
F: Cameron Moore, UAB, 14.3 ppg, philosophy
C: Zeke Marshall, Akron, 8.6 ppg, computer information systems

Third Team
G: G.W. Boon, Bucknell, 8.8 ppg, biomedical engineering
G: Trian Iliadis, Old Dominion, 6.0 ppg, biochemistry
F: Tim Abromaitis, Notre Dame, 15.3 ppg, one-year graduate MBA program
F: Jamelle Horne, Arizona, 6.2 ppg, creative writing
C: Dan Geriot, Richmond, 9.9 ppg, double major in political science and history

Correction, March 16, 2011: This article originally included Kent State among the 68 teams in the 2011 NCAA Tournament. The count of majors by category has been corrected, and a mention of Kent State's Jordan Wilds as the tourney's lone physics major has been removed. (Return to the corrected sentence.)

Majors relate to the incoming player's grades and standardized testing scores. If he/she was a better student coming out of high school, the athletic department will give them more leeway as to what they can study but if they barely met the requirements then they'll get pigeonholed into an easy major so that they can meet the eligibility requirements. At Syracuse, the easy major for athletes was Communication and Rhetorical Studies (CRS). Paul Harris wanted to major in Photography (Newhouse; need a 3.5 minimum GPA out of high school to get your application looked at for that school) but the athletic department wouldn't give him the green light and put him in the CRS program (VPA).

I love watching CFB and all there majors are communications
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Majors relate to the incoming player's grades and standardized testing scores. If he/she was a better student coming out of high school, the athletic department will give them more leeway as to what they can study but if they barely met the requirements then they'll get pigeonholed into an easy major so that they can meet the eligibility requirements. At Syracuse, the easy major for athletes was Communication and Rhetorical Studies (CRS). Paul Harris wanted to major in Photography (Newhouse; need a 3.5 minimum GPA out of high school to get your application looked at for that school) but the athletic department wouldn't give him the green light and put him in the CRS program (VPA).
Interesting. My dude was a Mechanical Engineering major at his school and of course his coaches wanted him to switch it up, but he proved that he could handle his on the field and in the classroom
BTW, anbody know what's up with Myron Rolle?

I know that at least here at Duke, most athletes get stuck with certain majors because most majors have at least a few requirements which are only taught at certain times - time that are incompatible with practice.

biomedical engineering

Much respect. As a Civil in his last year of school, I honestly don't know how these kids major in Engineering and still play sports at such a high level.

Very impressive. Like I believe Andrew Luck is an architect major? That's insane (in a good way) to me.

Originally Posted by ryanbbn23

Rolle was drafted by the Titans last year, believe signed a lengthy contract.

His teammate Alteran Verner (rookie cornerback) is over here at UCLA finishing his degree in Math.

laugh.gif
these guys should take their studies/majors a little more serious so when they don't make it to the NFL they have something to fall back on

Any college athlete who's an engineer definitely gets my respect. The time management required to juggle between classes and going to practices/games etc. is incredibly challenging.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Any college athlete who's an engineer definitely gets my respect. The time management required to juggle between classes and going to practices/games etc. is incredibly challenging.

Very true.

Although.. I'm willing to bet some of those engineering professors cut some athletes some slack.

There are a couple guys in football that have legit majors; I think most are lineman and walk ons though. Jeff Beyer was our 4th string QB the past couple years and was an engineering major. I went to middle school with him and he was always great in math. He actually worked for Nike for a bit, and now he works at some research facility where they take dead bodies/body parts and launch them at a wall and measure the effects and results of the impact
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Guess it has something to do with crash safety.

There's only been one player to ever major in architecture and play football; I don't remember his name but a guy I used to work with went to school with him back in the 70's/80's and he played in the league for a bit. I seriously can't imagine how anybody could excel at both; even if you're a genius the workload in architecture is absurd no matter your intellect.

Some of those majors are actually challenging.

Singlers a pretty good artist too.

At the UA the go to majors for athletes is creative writing, religous studies, and business and communication

Back
Top Bottom