College bound NT'ers and NT'ers already in College fafsa help

I'm new to this so please bare with me, well i believe i just gotten financial aid for school this is what im seeing:
[font=Verdana, 'Arial Narrow', helvetica, sans-serif]your estimated cost of attendance is [/font]$13,650.00.

[table][tr][td]You have been awareded financial aid which totals $4,600.00.

and when i check the award overview on my schools financial aid site it shows this 

2hd7go3.jpg

so whats the deal with the 12,691 where it says need; im pretty lost right now so any one care to help a fellow niketalker out? 
[/td][/tr][/table]

so the need is something that is to be paid off over the years after school is completed?

They aren't covering all of your need. They are covering 4600 of the 12.7k need established. The school recognizes your financial situation by stating your family must only chip in 959 but is only willing to cover a part of the need. The rest must be covered by loans/scholarships/your family shelling out more money. That's all I can deduce from that screenshot.
edit: You should def. qualify for work study and keep in mind that Books and Personal expense estimates are just that. Tuition/board is not flexible.

edit 2: Transportation too. There should be no reason for your transportation costs to be near 3k. That's crazy. 

edit3: 
laugh.gif
 You're living at home? Damn, I messed that up. Okay, tuition is the only thing that is not flexible on your estimated cost of attendance. Everything else is just a school estimate. They have covered tuition and some of your book fees with the 4600 pell grant. The rest is just cost of living at home. Again, wth is with transportation? That's a crazy estimate. 

NO MORE EDITS. 
sick.gif

The only thing you should worry about is the cost of tuition + fees.
Since you've been awarded $4600, you'll receive a small return from the school after tuition is paid off.
You'll get $4600 - $3975 = $625.

The "Cost of Attendance" as a whole, is usually exaggerated.
It is what the school estimates you'll spend for the semester/quarter.
Be smart about your money and there will be no way you'll spend $13K for one semester/quarter.

yup, since you're living at home, it's telling you that they're giving you enough to cover your tuition and other misc. expenses, which your parents should be able to cover outside of that.

if you were living on campus, then it'd be different.
need = pretty much what you need to go to the school, and they base how much financial aid they give you based on your need, which is given in forms of loans, scholarships, grants, etc... you see that your need is relatively high, but that doesn't mean much since you're staying at home. 

you won't have to pay back that pell grant, just fyi. it's a government grant you don't need to pay back.

hope this helps. 

edit: and i see that this was the financial aid package for this current school year. what's with that?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by willsndvl

yup, since you're living at home, it's telling you that they're giving you enough to cover your tuition and other misc. expenses, which your parents should be able to cover outside of that.

if you were living on campus, then it'd be different.
need = pretty much what you need to go to the school, and they base how much financial aid they give you based on your need, which is given in forms of loans, scholarships, grants, etc... you see that your need is relatively high, but that doesn't mean much since you're staying at home. 

you won't have to pay back that pell grant, just fyi. it's a government grant you don't need to pay back.

hope this helps. 

edit: and i see that this was the financial aid package for this current school year. what's with that?
nerd.gif
the school needed additional paperwork like my w 2 and taxes and it took months till i actually got it. so does this mean i cant use this for the upcoming school year? but i already re newed my fafsa for the 2011-2012 year
eyes.gif

Your financial aid package seems off your efc is only 1k your financial ai package should be around 12k they probably haven't finishedy your package yet. Best bet is to call them at minimum they should offer you stafford loans on top of that if you need more money.

Back
Top Bottom