College heads (or anyone who has advice)

How do u guys go about reading some of these books?
i got this humanities class and i feel like i cant read a whole chapter without getting easily sidetracked then i start to think about random s*** like how is this class suppose to help me in the real world? and then so many more things start to run through my mind
ohwell.gif

help?

1. Go to library.
2. Go to an independent/group study room.
3. LOCK YOURSELF IN THE ROOM UNTIL YOU FINISH.

Drink some coffee or Five Hour Energy, turn off the tv or go to the library, leave your cell phone at home, keep yourself free from distractions.

Try reading and making an outline or taking notes, read for 50 minutes and take a 10 minute break, then repeat.

Just buckle down and do it.

I was under the impression that it's literally impossible to read every thing that you need to read for classes in college so you have to be smart about conserving time.

Originally Posted by soltheman

1. Go to library.
2. Go to an independent/group study room.
3. LOCK YOURSELF IN THE ROOM UNTIL YOU FINISH.
Great advice

Adderall.

But nah really just go to the library and seclude yourself... you'll really have no choice but to read. thats wat i do...

besides adderall

i feel like i may have mild add im always thinking in my mind and its hard for me to concentrate on some of the uninteresting things
smh at me taking a adhd test online
smh.gif
said i scored a 70 is that high enough for me to get some adderall
tired.gif

What's with people just suggesting drugs and thinking that's the end of it?

Force yourself to start and keep away from distractions. Underline stuff you think is worthy of repeating. Also, don't reserve one day for strictly reading, you have to include bits of reading every day during the week, taking a break usually Friday and Saturday.

divide and conquer.

divide the chapter up into a number of pages that you read everyday. i.e. dividing a 30 pg chapter into 6 sets of 5 pages

I used to be perscribed to adderrall and all I had to do was say that I had symptoms of ADD for a long time (which I did). Never took any tests or anything.

Originally Posted by djaman

What's with people just suggesting drugs and thinking that's the end of it?
If he can't finish a single chapter in a book he probably needs it.

get the book on tape. listening to it will keep you on pace while you read it.
find notes online and review after you read so you comprehend everything you just saw.

You have to train yourself to stay focused for longer periods of time.

Push yourself to sit down and study. Like other people said, go to a secluded area in the library.

When you max out and you can't focus anymore, call it a day. It might just be 30 minutes, maybe even less, don't worry about it.  When your mind really starts to wander and you can't focus, there is no point in continuing.

The next day, push yourself to stay 5 to 10 more minutes than last time. Keep this up.

People always complain about having ADD and stuff, it's a joke. Yes there are people that really have that issue, but most of the time it's just that people aren't used to buckling down and just reading for long periods of time.

If you do this and really dedicate yourself I guarantee it'll work.

Go to the library and read for 50 minutes, take a 10 minute break and go at it again
Since its a humanities class you HAVE to read it
if you dont care about your money or grade, then dont even take the class, stop wasting your money on college

Here's what I do:

Skim the chapter before class.
Highlight the ##%% talked about during lecture
Read the chapter the day after the lecture
Day before the test compile notes from highlighted section of book.
Day of test, study notes and try to compress the main ideas into 5 word sentences.

"how is this class suppose to help me in the real world"?
Drop that state of mind and realize you just have to jump through some hoops and show that you can learn a wide range of material.

You really think I'm going to need to know physics and astronomy being a High School Marketing Teacher? Not really, but the fact that I know some %%# about the subjects makes my viewpoints that much broader and more credible.

As far as staying focused during the readings... You have to want it, you're really only going to learn what you let yourself intake when it comes to reading. Make yourself want the knowledge. If you seriously can't change your learning intake when it comes to reading, maybe you should try this:

When you read the chapter mark things as important or not important. If you think that paragraph will be on the test place a 1 next to in the margin; if it's not going to be on the test place a 2 in the margin. This will help break the reading down into paragraphs and make it seem like less of a chore while also requiring some apprehension of the material.

If you really feel like this system is working expand the numbers from 1 to 5. A 1 would mean for sure it's on the test and very important while a 5 would mean very useless to the class.
At the end of the subsection average out the numbers, this will give you an idea of just what to study and pay the most attention to.

Another idea:

With a notepad try and summarize each paragraph into one sentence. Then summarize the subsection into a paragraph.

If you are still looking at reading your text books just to be reading them because the chapter was assigned then you will have problems. It works, but you are just reading to be reading and not reading to learn.

Try writing a brief note in the margin after every paragraph about what the adjacent paragraph covered.

A standard sized not-sugar-free Redbull will make it much easier, too.

Originally Posted by thesimplestlife

divide and conquer.

divide the chapter up into a number of pages that you read everyday. i.e. dividing a 30 pg chapter into 6 sets of 5 pages

Yeah, I read lots of boring stuff (Bible stuff, Law, etc) and break up my assigned readings into smaller sets. It really helps. Don't just read an entire chapter all at once.

Back
Top Bottom