College heads (or anyone who has advice)

I think mentality plays a huge part.

I'm not a science fan by any means, but i managed to find an interest in every page i read because i was willing to better myself, regardless of whether i was adept at the subject or not.

1. College classes cannot help you if you do not want to be helped. The nature of college is that you will learn best if you are interested/passionate in the topic.
2. That being said, I know there are pre-reqs you have to take for other classes your interested in or for the major you love. In my opinion to get by these classes, you have to have a positive attitude. Think of them as classes that broaden your horizons. The future is unpredictable, so you never know when the information might come in handy. For instance, Steve Jobs took a calligraphy class that later became important in helping him develop the typefaces for Apple.
3. Next time, choose classes you are interested in. After all, you are the one paying for the degree; why not enjoy school?
4. I doubt you have to know the entire book through and through. Usually lectures cover a lot of what you should know for tests. In case you do need to read the whole thing, read a few chapters a day (in between classes, before class, etc.). Although the reading might be dense and heavy, you should circle stuff in the book that seem important, jot down notes in the margins, and write down questions to ask professors, friends, teaching assistants. That way, you can have a conversation starter in office hours or with a cute girl/boy.

Hope that helps!

Like all those who have already posted advice:
(ie: Isolation by focus or burn out by focus) is definitely something you should consider OP. College material, is heavy reading and sometimes we all have to be "wise about our time" (more so on our extracurriculars than the classes we take).

For instance, if you're on a quarter period what helped me do well is this...

10 week Quarter System

-2 weeks in already have read a steady amount of material (procrastination pillow is between week 0-end of week 1)

-3rd week, re-organize and review lecture/book notes for midterm

-4th week midterm, and repeat for second half for cumulative quarter final.

Or, if you're on the Semester System...

15 week Semester System

-3-4 week period to have read steady amount of material (procrastination pillow is week 2-end of week 3)

-5 week is usually first review exam for most classes (6th week if lagging or heavy material)

-repeat until (10th week and also 14-15th week, review heavily for cumulative semester final).

Know when you can slack, how many units, what extraccurriculars take up most of your time, and plan accordingly. You'll have a better idea as you stay longer in college (I understand if you're a freshman/early sophomore). But anything after that (unless you were a third-fourth year transfer),

then you're just being lazy (or have actual ADHD/ADD), peace and good luck.

Oh yeah almost forgot to add, for all those who hated "kissing butt" or "touching base" with Teacher's Assistants (TAs) and Professors is VERY PIVOTAL TO YOUR SUCCESS IN THE CLASS. I was one of those people with too much pride and sometimes it costed me (even though I my %##* could have been saved a few times here and there, with a simple greeting or informal meeting of reviewal beyond the lecture hours).

I can't stress how many times, I failed (and repeated or completely dropped) a class only because I didn't meet with them "enough" or actually let them know my name. In huge lecture halls, it really helps to stand out (easier when it's smaller more focused upper divisions in your later years) in the crowd. Keep it up, it's a rough road but I managed and many other NT'ers have as well.

Read the Conclusion, then introduction, and then a couple sentences in the body to make sure your on track.

i write outlines. and i actually WRITE them. i personally think that most people have ADD or ADHD, making it a flaw in humans - not a disorder. putting the computer away and getting out pen and paper helps. just write the topic sentence from each paragraph. go over what you've written; does it make sense? is there a logical argument being made? it might be a poorly written paper/chapter/book but more than likely you missed some points along the way. go back and read those sections carefully. as long as your attention span can carry you through one paragraph you should be fine.

If you don't get quizzed on specifics, just read the first sentence on each paragraph.

I was never able to read through a chapter in a quiet room. I would just be reading chapter after chapter and not retaining anything.
Which would lead to me getting bored and sidetracked
What worked for me is setting up a basic outlining scheme with key words and topics etc,
and I would outline my notes on paper, (I always retained more when I did it by hand)

Originally Posted by MrBen23

If you don't get quizzed on specifics, just read the first sentence on each paragraph.

If you want a 2.0-2.5 do this.

Skim through the material first, then go in depth.

Just think of every class as part of the package that is college, I'm taking a few classes I didn't think I was interested in (Political Sociology) but I ended up liking the course material. For one of the classes I hated (Geography), I would just think of it as just another step to take before I can get my degree. Besides, there is always a few interesting points in these types of classes so you never really lose. It's all about your mindset

This is why I advise new undergrads to keep up a regular exercise routine. You should try to get four high intensity (full court basketball, soccer, weight lifting, interval jog and sprint) that last between 30 minutes to 90 minutes. If you do that it will increase both the your level of endorphins, serotonin and dopamine, the chemicals most associated with reward and enjoyment and can make eve boring texts less boring. Being in good shape also takes the edge off of mild ADD and restlessness.

Do that and if that is not enough have some coffee or tea and if that is not enough consider getting prescribed some adderall, it has helped many. If stimulants give you problems maybe consider a very mild sedative like Chamomile tea or Valerian capsules (both are legal and over the counter products).

Also like others have said, try to take classes that interest you (your choice of major's role in determining your future is vastly overstated) and since you will have to take some classes that do not interest you, divide up the chapters into manageable bits and try to read every day instead of trying to read a third or half of book in one sitting.

Finally, do not ask "how can I use this," most of what you learn in college is not applied to your career and most careers are truly boring and abysmal. Be happy that at this point in your life your main focus is on reading esoteric materials.

^ thanks for that I've been thinking about joining the gym for a while now I'm very lucky to have a fast metabolism cause I've been eating a lot of fast food or just unhealthy food lately that my parents make at home and i think that might be part of the reason why I've been feeling that way lately.

also bump for the people who might be having similar problems some good advice in this thread

Back
Top Bottom