COLLEGE: how is it paying out for you so far?

To my NT...nters that have graduated. Are you reaping the rewards of your educational journey so far to speak?

laugh.gif
I know so many people that are have degrees and are doing NOTHING with their degree....or even working in the field in which they received the diplomafor. I'm like...how do you go to st. Johns's...get a degree in chemistry...and end up working at mcdonalds? I don't get it.

^that's exactly it. It's who you know. I went to Syracuse and graduated and every job I got as a result of my degree barely paid. My second job out ofcollege paid $19,300. Crazy thing was I need my degree just to get that job. And while I had fun and it was something I liked, I knew I wasn't going tosurvive. Especially since I had bought a car that I needed for my job and it cost me about what i was getting paid that year. Needless to say, I may a careerchange and pulled about $50,000 last year and should pull about $80,000 this year.

Originally Posted by jumpman247

Its not what you know, it's who you know.

end of post...my man speaks the truth...you know i believe personally this whole college thing is overrated...but the experience you get and the people youmeet..appreciated...my financial aid only covers half of my costs each year...and I havent paid a penny to my school
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
...its def who you know
laugh.gif

People need to learn to step their networking game up before graduating college. Only then you'll land that internship or well paying job out of college.Jobs ain't gonna be handed to you on a silver platter, unless you graduated from Harvard.

Paying off quite nicely. Business Management major and a member of the management team for Pinnacle Hotel Management

I had a job here while I finished up school. When I graduated, I got promoted and received a significant raise.

You're right jacob. And kicksnbeats. I forgot how REAL that networking game is. "Its not what you know...its who you know"
laugh.gif
funny thing is Idistinctly remember my 11th grade english teacher saying that in class. We all laughed...who knew he was 100% percent right.

"who knew he was 100% right"

anybody with a working brain
smh.gif
, that extends far beyond school. its pretty much the motto of life
smh.gif
college can suck a

good thing 98% of engineering students from UC (cincinnati) have a job lined up before they graduate.

Graduating class of 2011... i will answer how it worked out by then... Stay tuned.

College right now is Nice i might add - i stay partying, cheefing and smashing - with some schooling.

Originally Posted by Qpitfighter

^that's exactly it. It's who you know. I went to Syracuse and graduated and every job I got as a result of my degree barely paid. My second job out of college paid $19,300. Crazy thing was I need my degree just to get that job. And while I had fun and it was something I liked, I knew I wasn't going to survive. Especially since I had bought a car that I needed for my job and it cost me about what i was getting paid that year. Needless to say, I may a career change and pulled about $50,000 last year and should pull about $80,000 this year.

What did you major in?

What do you do now?

Originally Posted by SWiFT Yons

Graduating class of 2011... i will answer how it worked out by then... Stay tuned.

College right now is Nice i might add - i stay partying, cheefing and smashing - with some schooling.

Originally Posted by Rebel RLY

Originally Posted by SWiFT Yons

shut up noob
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by supra97RX7

good thing 98% of engineering students from UC (cincinnati) have a job lined up before they graduate.
thats how my school is.

actually i already have a job pretty much lined up for when i graduate and im a sophmore
pimp.gif

But um I' currently co-opin onsite at NASA, then I'll be back in school in summer session. So college is goin fine for me i guess. My company says if Ido a good job and they keep their contract with NASA then im garunteed a job when i graudate and they'll pay for my masters
eek.gif
pimp.gif

And dudes talkin bout makin $19,000 a year are out of college making less than degree-less interns/co-ops
frown.gif
. I guess it depends on your job, major, and company,

pretty much sucks...i mean i have met a lot of people.....but the whole thing with classes and financial aid etc pretty much is basura.....i feel i could havekept the 50,000 some odd doallrs i invested in school and became a venture capitalist...
pimp.gif

long story short i graduated in 06 n still havent found a job... i basically hopped from job to job thru my temp agency or worked retail in the mean time... idid get 1 permanent job that lasted 3 months but didnt work out cuz i just didnt enjoy it... rite now im lucky i got a temp assignment thru my agency and im atbloomberg... the work i do sux but i get paid good and the opportunities are endless... hopefully i get hired and offered a position despite it not being atemp to perm job and only an assignment...we'll sae how it works out... but ya for anyone about to graduate my advice is to do what i didnt do... do aninternship, make connects aka network, and make the most out of what you do in school... if you do those then i doubt youll be in the situation im in...

While "who you know" is very important, it still won't get you far if you have a 2.4 GPA and a terrible work ethic.

Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

Qpitfighter wrote:

^that's exactly it. It's who you know. I went to Syracuse and graduated and every job I got as a result of my degree barely paid. My second job out
of college paid $19,300. Crazy thing was I need my degree just to get that job. And while I had fun and it was something I liked, I knew I wasn't going
to survive. Especially since I had bought a car that I needed for my job and it cost me about what i was getting paid that year. Needless to say, I may a
career change and pulled about $50,000 last year and should pull about $80,000 this year.

What did you major in?

What do you do now?

I graduated in May 2003 in Health and Exercise Science.
After college I was a PE teacher in NYC basically making $20 an hour, but I was getting somewhere between 25-30 hours a week. Left that after 1 year and movedback to Syracuse where I was a program supervisor for a before and afterschool program making about $19,300 a year. Got frustrated with that and moved againand began the application process to get paid a lot more at another job. While the application process was going on I was a personal trainer for a year andmade about $40,000. With the job I have now and the training I did for the first half of 2007 I made about $50,000 in 2007. I left that after I was acceptedand hope to make $80,000 this year.

Originally Posted by iwhohavenothing

To my NT...nters that have graduated. Are you reaping the rewards of your educational journey so far to speak?

laugh.gif
I know so many people that are have degrees and are doing NOTHING with their degree....or even working in the field in which they received the diploma for. I'm like...how do you go to st. Johns's...get a degree in chemistry...and end up working at mcdonalds? I don't get it.

A degree in Chem and Bio don't go far without any further education, ie med school. With just a bachelor you become a lab gofer making 15-20k a year. You must do it for the love of the career, and not for the love of money.

I'll let you know how things work out for me. I'm going to intern 200 hours this summer, and get my BS this Fall. My professor already introducedme to some of his previous students who are now high up in their careers that are looking to hire new entry level employees with the recommendation of thatprofessor. I'm going to start out as an environmental hygienist and see where that takes me. My starting salary is going to be only 45-50K, butthey'll pay me to go get my masters. The demand on my field is estimated to be 1 student per 5 job opportunities. 6 of my friends graduated last Springand all got decent paying jobs that they enjoy. If I can find a career that I love to do and live comfortably, and have some of my toys, I'd be a veryhappy man.
At my old job, a lot of my friends were making the same wage I was. Except they had their degrees and I didn't. They majored in History,Sociology, Art, etc.

yo iwhohavenothing, what high school you went to?

and i'm finishing up college right now and i feel very tired...i got hard classes too smh

Graduated in 06 with a Bachelor's degree in accounting, went back home and had job offers from 2 of the "Big 4"accounting firms within less than a week of being home.

Accepted one offer and have been working there ever since. So I would say that college paid off for me.
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom