College Textbooks are a SCAM Vol. Best place to get a deal?

Sometimes teachers receive a regular copy and a teacher's edition of the book if it's brand new. Or sometimes they may have 1 or 2. Twice now I havebeen able to buy a book right from the professor so it's worth asking. Other then that, or paying the outrageous prices, try borrowing books/splitting cost& sharing the books/etc.

And yea, it is a scam.
mad.gif

What I do is buy it from the bookstore from the time being and also buy the book from half.com. I'll return the book to the bookstore once the other bookcomes or the last day to retuen the book. Whatever comes first.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I hate dropping all that $ on a few books I'm only gonna use for a few months and sell back for 1/10 of what I paid for them.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Anybody got any good sites for college textbooks

Yes, I'm mad

College text books really are a scam, they can add 1 pic to a book and that makes it a new Edition/Volume.

Best thing to do is steal from the college book store.

Originally Posted by KingOfJordanz

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

Best thing to do is steal from the college book store.

If only this were a real option

smh.gif

It not the money that bothers me, its the fact that I know I'm being ripped off at the end of the semester.

smh.gif

the best way around buying them is if you know the course you plan on taking NEXT semester, buddy up with someone already taking it that semester at the end ofthe course ask on the lowdown on:

Is buying the book really necessary?

How much of the course work is from the book? if so what parts? can i photocopy them?

Most of the time you'll find out that most of the info you need from the book you can look up online in a few clicks.

i buy a text book brand new in the beginning of the quarter for $160 and at the end of the year they offer me back $20 for it.

Such a big rip off. I just started winter session and we got such short notice for the books that I had no choice but to buy off the school. Freaking 85dollars for two paperback books. SMH x10

I use half.com now because text books from the campus are so overpriced its ridiculous. Half has been a life saver for me.

I use half.com now because text books from the campus are so overpriced its ridiculous. Half has been a life saver for me.

I compared the prices from half.com to the prices they were charging at the CoOp....half was more expensive, how the hell did that happen?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

I compared the prices from half.com to the prices they were charging at the CoOp....half was more expensive, how the hell did that happen?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Yeah, I've been burned by places like half.com too in the past

smh.gif

there are also places and students that you could sell used books to...for prices similar to the used book price listed by the university. i recuperate about90% of my initial costs this way, and sometimes even make profits. the profits come from buying books from upperclassmen friends at cheap prices, amazon,facebook, or similar websites, then reselling at a price that's higher than or equal to what i paid for but still lower than the used book price listed bythe university bookstore. a lot of students don't bother to look elsewhere other than the UB for their books (especially freshmen), hence it's an easyway to spend close to zero dollars on textbooks.

for those of you complaining about costs, you simply aren't looking hard enough. that, or you're in the upper 400 level classes that just don'thave enough students to circulate these costs. since the end of my junior year i definitely have started to pay for more new books, because they're sospecific and classes are so small. the upside is that those books are usually smaller and cheaper, due to a smaller - albeit more intense - area of study.

^exactly ....most of the books are on e-reserve....and being at the University of Illinois...we have one of the biggest library's in the country...and ifits not at the library...i just partner up w/ a classmate...and even then..sometimes all are readings are online...guess ive lucked up so far

the only problem with going to the library for books is that when midterms and finals come around, they're all check out
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

the only problem with going to the library for books is that when midterms and finals come around, they're all check out
laugh.gif
that, and often the library can be noisy at times, I'd rather buy the book and study within the comfort of my room then be in a library.

just photocopy the pages you need then dip.....or if you know somebody in your class....pair up w/ them, or ask to borrow

Originally Posted by jefffort5

just photocopy the pages you need then dip.....or if you know somebody in your class....pair up w/ them, or ask to borrow

the pairing up or borrowing doesn't always work, especially when you need to study by yourself during midterms/finals. there is no way that 2 people canalways coordinate to look at the same page. the photocopy thing worked for only 1 of my friends...his dad ran a copy shop so he always borrowed books andillegally made his own photocopied books, complete with binding, all for free
laugh.gif
otherwise it's a hassle to have to go through all that time and change.

How could u possibly get screwed buying off Half.com
Pretty much just buy the cheapest book thats listed.

Last semester i bought from the Book Store....paid $450 for 3 text books and 2 workbooks
smh.gif

On half.com i bought 6 books for $260
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom