Colleges Roommates Vol: Going Solo??

I am visiting some colleges currently and i'm really having trouble imagining myself living in a dorm with a roommate. I have some social anxiety so Ithink I would definitely stress out about the whole situation, but I am also worried that because of that same issue, if I don't have a roommate I may havemore trouble making friends. I have no friends going to the same school so that is out of the question. How do you guys feel about getting solo rooms as afreshman in college? Would I still be alright socially? Thanks for all the help and sorry about all the college questions, but i'm trippin about the wholesituation. The colleges I am interested in are Boston College and Wisconsin if it matters.

Just get a roommate. Most likely you'll either be good friends with him or you guys will be cordial.

If you hate him, you can transfer.

IMO, dorming freshman year with a roommate is part of the experience. You know, sort of like snowbunnies.

You could get a roommate or a single, but in both cases regardless you should break your social anxiety barriers. Open up. It'll be healthy for you to kindof put you out of your comfort zone. Everybody is in the same boat, everybody wants to meet new people.

One of the most important things that college teaches us is interpersonal communication, even though it's not clearly apparent.

Plus how are you gonna smash freshman feezies dawg..............................

more privacy, more space, you can fart whenever you want.
As far as your social life youll have suitemates, ppl from your dorm, ppl from your classes, and if you join clubs, frats, or organizations youll meet morepeople.

The whole thing about needing a roommate to be social and all that is vastly overrated. I was in a triple last year and one of my roommates was a NIGHTMARE. Iwould have been just as social if I was all by myself. If you can get a single, I highly recommend it.

However, I think all freshmen should live in real dorm-style dorms, with communal bathrooms. That really creates a social atmosphere and makes it easy to finda niche.

Personally, I'd rather have a roommate. I have a hard time meeting people randomly, I have to be in the right setting. Otherwise, my college experiencemight suck. I'd probably never go to any parties, meet any life long friends, smash any chicks.

Then again, I'm afraid of the cons of the situation. (i.e. roommate is a slob, homosexual, lazy, annoying) But there is the transfer option.

Get a double your first semester.

You'll either love your roommate and you could hang out, talk, etc

OR

You'll hate him and you can ignore him

I realize that I could ignore him if I didn't like him, but with the anxiety deal I feel like if I was uncomfortable in my own room it might ruin my wholeexperience. The dorms would be regular dorm style with the hall bathrooms and stuff. The reason I am leaning toward the single is because I don't know ifanyone else on here has social anxiety, but I think it would ease the situation to know I still have one stress free place. Correct me if i'm wrong thoughand if anyone has social anxiety your opinions or experiences would definitely be appreciated. I think i'm an odd case though because the anxiety is on andoff and I have tons of friends and stuff i'm not a loner by any means.

Get a double. You might not necessarily like the person, but you most likely get along ok. Besides, its college--you shouldn't be spending your life inyour room. So if you hate him, good. Maybe you'll leave and meet some new people. Oh yea, you can always switch if it's that bad for your sophomoreyear.

Def get a roommate. A lot of people have mentioned good reasons here so I'll leave it at that. If you are socially shy then having one will force you tointeract with someone that you've never had to on a different level. If you have problems with your mate it allows you to experience the sort of conflictnegotiation you make experience in the workplace and other aspects of life. It will be a positive experience in some ways for sure. I too am shy when it comest new people and my roommate in college my freshman year wasn't exactly like me but we dealt with each other and I'm so glad I did it.

Hiding away isn't the answer.

Sorry to keep fighting the answers, please don't take it wrong this is better than anything I have gotten from family or college counselors. When I say Ihave social anxiety I do not mean that I am bad at making friends. I'm actually pretty outgoing and good at making friends. My problem is more with beinguncomfortable living with someone and stuff like that. Like when it comes to sleeping and privacy and stuff.

Thanks to everyone for helping, its funny how a lot of us come to a shoe forum for our life's problems, but seriously its great to talk to people who youknow will be real.

I would get a roommate. If you already have social anxiety there is a good chance that with a single you'd just sit up in your room all day. Maybeyou'll get someone you really get along with. Even if you hate each other, it will motivate you to get away from them and be around different people.

I get where you're coming from as far as social anxiety with living with strangers and wanting privacy. I've lived in dorms for all the 3 years thatI've been in college so far and I've had roommates and had my own room and there are pros and cons to both. My freshman year I shared a dorm, it wastwo single rooms but the bathroom and kitchen were shared by me and my roommate. I didn't know him prior to moving in so I was pretty worried about howthat would turn out but he turned out to be pretty cool. I think it was probably more beneficial for me having a roommate my freshman year because I didn'tknow anyone so it kind of gave me someone to hang out with until I met more people through classes and stuff. My sophomore year I got a single room by myselfand I found that I met less people and only really hung out with the people I already knew from the year before. I think what you should do is try and get aroom that lets you have a single room to yourself but still have roommates that you share common areas like kitchen, bathroom etc. with. If you have socialanxiety it will help you break out of that a little but it won't be as overwhelming for you as sharing a bedroom with a stranger could be.

Having a roommate has its benefits... if you don't like living in a double then switch to a single the year after.

seriously, i say just get the room mate.

see im commuting this year (freshman) and i feel like im missing out on so much by leaving campus everyday. but this summer me and some people getting anapartment, so that will help, but the bills will suck..

OSU BUCKEYES STAND UP. lol just thought id throw that in there.

Coming in to college, I just wanted to live on my own in an off-campus apartment. My parents made me stay on campus in the dorms, and it's turned out to beone of the best experiences in my life. I've made a lot of good friends in my dorm, and just the overall experience and maturing has been great. I'ddefinitely recommend getting a roommate and living in a dorm.

You should definitely try getting a roommate because people will be more open to coming into you room if theres more than 1 person or else it just might beawkward. Or see if your school has what they call "suites." A suite is one where you can have your own room but then share a common room with otherroommates. Thats what I'm doing for my senior year.

You should definitely try getting a roommate because people will be more open to coming into you room if theres more than 1 person or else it just might be awkward.

Is it true that you can just walk down that hallway, walk into a room & find a chick ready & willing.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Sole Emcee92

You should definitely try getting a roommate because people will be more open to coming into you room if theres more than 1 person or else it just might be awkward.

Is it true that you can just walk down that hallway, walk into a room & find a chick ready & willing.
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
It's not that easy, man. That sounds like the beginning of a Naughty America film.

To the OP, if you can afford to get a place by yourself, I would absolutely do it. Many of my friends lived together, but they never last more than a fewmonths. At first everything is all great, but then since you live with each other 24/7, you start to see each other's habits..ie not washing dishes fordays or even weeks, drinking milk straight from the carton, etc.

nerd.gif

roll.gif
It's not quite that easy, unfortunately.

nerd.gif

nerd.gif

I'd say get one, I had a random roommate and two random suitemates and it worked out fine. Then again, they could have been complete jerks and I could havehated it.

Back
Top Bottom