Colleges Roommates Vol: Going Solo??

My school's housing system is pretty stupid. It's a lottery system every year, so I've moved every year for the past 3 and have had differentroommates for all 3 years even though I applied to be roommates with friends. I got the contracts, they didn't.

As far as random roommates go, I've seen both ends of the spectrum. My 2nd year, I got thrown into a double with this guy I ended up becoming really goodfriends with. The summer before my third year, on the other hand, I moved out in 2 weeks. He was the worst roommate imaginable---filthy, rude, loud,inconsiderate, disrespectful, you name it he did it. My first year my roommates were pretty bad, but I lasted the whole year. Luckily the set up of the roomwas 2 people in a big room in the middle, and 1 person each in 2 small rooms on the side of the middle room. I had one of the small rooms to myself, but thedudes in the middle smoked weed and stayed up until 3am everyday just through a thin wall.

This year, things are decent, but I didn't get picked in the school's lottery system to renew my lease. So I snagged a single studio apartment for mysenior year. Expensive, but I work almost 20 hours a week and owe it to myself, especially with the difficulty level of my senior year classes...I don'tneed the distractions of new roommates.

So my advice is if you can afford it, get a single unless you're willing to take a pretty big risk. Joining a club or frat or even taking really hardclasses where you need to form study groups is more than enough to be social. You don't need to be worrying about your living situation with the amount ofcrap college puts you through on top of that.

get a single dude...

if you are a guy that stresses about things you are not gonna last with a roomate TRUST ME.
I guess a roomate is cool to have if you have the same personalities and the same schedule (like going to bed and waking up etc). I couldn't sleep at allcause my dumb %%@ roomate started doing homework at 11 at night and wouldnt turn off the lights then when he did turn the lights off it was around 2 and hestarted snooring at 2:30 and I had to be up at like 5...

I wish I had a single. I was paired with my roommate randomly, and it sucks sharing a room with some other dude I'm not friends with. I'm cool withhim, we get along, but sometimes I wish he would just %#++ off and I could have the room to myself.
laugh.gif
Not that I hate him or anything, just get tired of himbeing around, if you know what I mean. But if u could room with a friend, or become friends with ur roommate, it might be alright. I might me rooming with afriend next year, actually

thejrob, I go to Boston College...and I didn't really meet anyone I wanted to live with at orientation so I let them just randomly assign me a roomfreshmen year...needless to say, I wound up with two whack roommates in a triple on the substance-free floor (I drink a lot if that matters)...it wasn'ttoo bad...I didn't really get along with the dudes and never hung out with them except when we were all in the room together...one was in band and did hisown thing and one was a computer nerd and like never left the room...luckily one of my best friends today lived a few doors down and my current roommates alsolived down the hall...I know people who have had single's and still have fun...I mean RA's all have singles and most of them are pretty cool people...Ithink you'd be fine with a single, but it would also be good to meet some new people and try out the whole roommate thing and if it doesn't work out,you can move out or switch rooms without too much trouble

Back
Top Bottom