Colleges With Great Bio Programs?

help me out here, NT.
preferably around the Northeast and preferably has a student body lower than 16,000.

SUNY ESF. School is on the same campus as Syracuse University. So that 16,000, not so much. But within SUNY ESF, yes. Best of luck.

I believe Rutgers has a good one. I've researched and am planning on going Fall '08.

I should have just gone there straight from HS, since I got in anyway.

StonyBrook University

my first choice.

Drexel University??
cool. i'm applying there too.

I believe Rutgers has a good one. I've researched and am planning on going Fall '08.
Rutgers is BEAST huge
laugh.gif
not really my type. thanks though.

keep it comin' guys.

What are you planning on doing with that Bio BS or BA? Pre Med, Pre Dent?

Originally Posted by jrellcuse10

Rutgers is cutting programs and staff to finance a new football stadium so I'd avoid it.

1. Rutgers might be cutting some classes but they are not cutting out entire programs. They definitely will NOT cut biology(I don't think any schoolwould, really). Rutgers is in NJ, nothing dealing with science/engineering/biotech/pharm will ever be cut.

2. The cuts are not to fund a new football stadium. The plan was to add on to the existing stadium(which has since been postponed indefinitely). Even then,the cuts were because of other issues within the state. In fact, the postponement of the stadium expansion is one of the effects of the state budgetcuts...not the reason for the cutting of certain classes and jobs.

That being said, Rutgers is very large, but the proximity to the enormous amount of industrial opportunities within the state of NJ and NYC is something noother school can offer. Avoid Rutgers if you feel you need smaller classes with academic advisors who will look over your progress and keep a tab on you. Look into Rutgers if you think you can go out there and figure out what you need for yourself. As with all large schools, there are shortcomings..butthat's life. Sometimes I do think that smaller schools are better environments for learning but bigger schools do give you the advantage of forcingyourself to be independent.

^thanks for the info.

yeah, i went to the New Brunswick/Pescataway Campus, and although beautiful, it's just too massive for me.
ohwell.gif

What are you planning on doing with that Bio BS or BA? Pre Med, Pre Dent?
pre-med.

It doesnt matter if you're pre med, be a bio major at whatever university, do well in your courses and handle the mcat. You dont have to go to a good"bio" school, to get into a good medical school...i know from experience.

Originally Posted by BeautifulStruggle1223

It doesnt matter if you're pre med, be a bio major at whatever university, do well in your courses and handle the mcat. You dont have to go to a good "bio" school, to get into a good medical school...i know from experience.

Pretty much. You don't even have to be a Bio major to be a pre-med. Most people just get the BA in Bio almost by default because of the prerequisitecourses required by med schools. I know at my campus, you have to take only 2 more classes to get a BA, as oppose to just fulfilling the requirement for USCmed school w/o those 2 extra classes.

Ahh..pre-med. Any school will do. The only difference is how you choose to apply yourself.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by BeautifulStruggle1223

It doesnt matter if you're pre med, be a bio major at whatever university, do well in your courses and handle the mcat. You dont have to go to a good "bio" school, to get into a good medical school...i know from experience.

Pretty much. You don't even have to be a Bio major to be a pre-med. Most people just get the BA in Bio almost by default because of the prerequisite courses required by med schools. I know at my campus, you have to take only 2 more classes to get a BA, as oppose to just fulfilling the requirement for USC med school w/o those 2 extra classes.

you're right, i'm a pscyhology major, and i'm interviewing at med schools right now...was just at pitt, next up is penn state. So yeah, majorin whatever you want, it made college a lot more fun. Just make sure to take the prereqs like this NT said.

Back
Top Bottom